Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Summer trip to Rome...early July or August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would love to hear some feedback about Italy in the summer? We generally avoid traveling anywhere in Europe at that time of the year. However, this year we have a limited window of either the first 10 days in July or first 10 days in August. Is one better than the other, or will it be crazy busy at both times? We would hope to stay 3 or 4 days in Rome, and the rest of the trip in the country, or in a smaller city. Does anyone have an itinerary, and/or hotels that they could recommend? We have two older teens who love history and travel,... Italy is a country they have yet to experience?

Thank you for any help you can give, Happy New Year!

Tom
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 02:06 PM

Practically all of Italy goes on holiday in August and the temperatures can be merciless. Definitely go in July. It won't be temperate, most likely, but it won't be as sweltering (or crowded) as it will be in August.

If it were my trip, I'd head north to the lakes after Rome. Or somewhere deep in the countryside of Umbria.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 02:11 PM

I went to Rome in mid September and the heat was pretty brutal even then. I would also recommend early July versus August. I splurged in Rome and stayed at the Hotel Raphael right near the Piazza Navona. I loved it. It included an amazing breakfast , the staff was great and the AC worked amazingly! Rome is one city where I would spend a bit more on the hotel room than other European cities..due to the heat and wanting to be in a great location it can really make or break your trip there.

Have a ball with your family!
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 02:11 PM

I think I would go for the July window on the theory that August is likely to be even hotter!

I like your modest goals; too many people want to see Rome, Pompeii, Venice, and Florence in the same amount of time.

I would suggest spending the second part of the vacation in the Val d'Orcia area of Tuscany, preferably at a villa in the country. It's gorgeous and has easy access to Siena, San Gimignano, Pienza, and other don't miss places.

If you can rent there for five days, spend the first five days in Rome. It is just about the right amount of time for a first visit. You may not be able to rent an apartment/villa for less than a week, though, so your time in Rome may be shorter.

In a perfect world, you would take the train to and from Orvieto and pick up and drop off a car there. You don't want or need it in Rome, for sure, but most of the places I mentioned above are accessible by scenic countryish roads, even if they are a bit mad during the day themselves. It is worth getting to Siena early in the morning and to San Gimignano late in the afternoon.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 02:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
July

places as above
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 02:54 PM

Definitely in July.
I would suggest spending some time in Emilia Romagna. Two years ago I was in santarcangelo di romagna. There is beautiful place to stay, not crowded, near the see if you like and near to such places like Verucchio, Torianna, San Leo, San Marino, Mondaino, Moltanbano. Love it!
http://italianmade.com/region-italy-...romagna-8.html
and the guesthouse where I slept:
http://www.lalberoguesthouse.com/ ,
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:17 AM
JBX