Reload this Page >

Rome--hot, dirty, crowded in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Cindy

I sure hear extremes about Rome. If the weather is so hot and the city is crowded & dirty, is it best to hurry through the must-sees in Rome and then head elsewhere?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Jackie

It is not dirty, but it is very crowded and very hot and humid. Personally I would never travel to Italy in August.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Ninsun

While I agree that it is not ideal, I have travelled in Italy in August and quite enjoyed it. The primary inconvenience is the number of closed restaurants. As for the heat, I think that is a matter of perspective- I live in the southern U.S. and so am accustomed to heat in August. Just make sure that your hotels are airconditioned! If you choose to go to Rome at all, I don't see the value in "hurrying" through it.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Betsy

Being in Rome in August wouldn't be my first choice, but if you're like me you can only travel in the summer months. I was there at the end of July in 2002, the Jubilee Year. It was crowded, but not as densely crowded as Florence. And we got lucky, the temp averaged about 80-85 degrees. I have been there when it was in the hundreds. Not great but it is a beautiful city and at night an especially beautiful one.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:38 PM
belinda

Recently stayed in Rome at the Villa San Pio and wanted to point out that the hotel had excellent air conditioning. Also, the grounds and the neighborhood are nicely shaded with trees.<BR>On the down side, it's about a 20 minute walk to the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill from the hotel (and more importantly it's uphill on the way back). We didn't mind the walks in early June, but in August it might be worth taking a cab. We found taxis to be quite reasonable in Rome.