Notices

Italy in August??

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in August??

Well, our travel plans seem to be in a constant state of flux ... we were planning to go to Italy in late October /04, but due to another event we will be attending at the end of October, this is no longer feasible. The only other time we would be able to go to Italy this year, due to availability of FF points, is at the end of August. This is not my ideal choice, as I am worried about the heat and crowds being unbearable. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has actually visited Italy at the end of August and can comment on the heat and crowds at that time of year - specifically, we are looking at staying in Rome, Florence, Venice, Tuscany, and possibly also the Cinque Terre. Am I crazy to consider this, or would I be better to forget about going this year and plan to go NEXT September / October (2005)instead?
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:58 AM

I wouldn't do it. It's not only the heat and the crowds. A lot of restaurants close in August as most italians take their vacations during this month. I think the "personality" of the city changes due to having an exodus of italians and an influx of tourists.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:01 AM

HOT!!!!!!
Try early Nov.,but last June was hot enough for me. Aug. would scare me.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Last time we were in Italy was in August, and yes, it was breathtakingly hot. We were staying in a villino on the beach south of Rome, though, so not focusing on traipsing around cities. We did go into Rome a few times, and it was certainly unpleasantly hot and crowded. We lived on cold drinks and gelati.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Going is August is better than not going, but not by much. The crowds on the trains are insane as they are anywhere coastal so I would definately forget Cinque Terre. The other cities will be PACKED with tourist and hotter than Hades.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Do not go in August if at all possible. I nearly collapsed due to heat exhaustion in Rome at the end of August. Most places are closed due to vacation. And depending on your constitution, you will not enjoy the cuisine to its fullest.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

OK, thanks very much for the comments, that helps and confirms my thoughts that this was not a very good idea! I think we will postpone Italy until Sept / Oct 05. Now I guess I'm off to try to plan a trip somewhere else for this August or September!