Search

iTALY IN AUGUST

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iTALY IN AUGUST

Is August a bad time to visit Italy? I'd be traveling with my husband and 15 year old son. We would be there for 17 days and start out in Rome. My son is interested in Roman ruins. We'd fly home from Milan. What are your thoughts and suggestions? Thanks
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM

If you are not used to very hot weather..is bad But if you don't have other dates available, just don't think about it It is less crowded and in big cities much cheaper than other months.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
nbujic

In the second part of August most of Italy is on holidays. Many restaurants and stores are closed even in big cities.
We were in Milano some years ago and the city was dead.
At least try the first half of August if you have no other dates available.
It can be very, very hot and humid.

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:52 PM

VERY hot. And much worse than in the US since many places do not have AC at all - and if they do it;s more taking off the worst of the heat - not really cooling. (Pick hotels VERY carefully to be sure they have AC - and USE it.)

VERY crowded. Many Italians on vacation as well as tons of people from all over europe. You will need to get reservations for as many things as possible in advance (museums, day tours etc).

VERY expensive - since so many people are trying to get in the more pleasant hotels.

Reco doing any other month if possible (we always do May for weather that's warm but not awfully hot).
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:22 PM

I visited Rome in late August. It was very hot . . . but I had a GREAT time. Visited the Forum, Colisseum, and walked everywhere. I would have preferred it to be cooler -- but my hotel had A/C so it wasn't a problem. I drank lots of water and carried a mini battery operated fan.

I was concerned that "the whole city would be on vacation." Some restaurants were closed -- but there were a mind-boggling number of ones to choose from that were open. Nothing else seemed to be closed.

It was sweltering at Pompeii -- and there seemed to be no shade there or at the Forum. So . . . my preference would be a cooler month -- but I'd go again in a heartbeat if August were my only option.

FYI, I'm from Tennessee -- so, (although I hate it) I am used to hot, humid weather.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM

I was in Rome in August and it was much less crowded that it was in my trip last week. No lines at St Peter's, very short line at Vatican Museums...and very much cheaper hotels (in Rome August is low season ...even the Pope has gone on vacation )
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM

In August the museums of Rome can ressemble saunas. Do not go in August. I will guarantee heat and misery. Remember much is not air conditioned. If you must travel to Europe in August (and I often do), go other places. I have had heat problems in France and some other places, but nothing like Italy.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:36 AM

The heat of Rome in August, especially among the ruins where you’ll be cruelly exposed to the sun, would, I think be oppressive and an unfortunate way to begin a 17-day trip. You might end up flying home from Rome.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:01 AM

The majority of Italians take their holidays the week before and after August 15, which is a national holiday. And while many restaurants are likely to be closed during that period in Milan, you may not even notice the few closures in places like Rome and Florence. As previously stated August is actually the low season in Rome. Contrary to the consensus, August is not the hottest month. July is actually hotter. In August, the further north you head the greater the chance of rain.

In any case, by all means go!

Rome
Given your sons interest in Roman ruins, I suggest visiting Hadrian's Villa near Tivoli (about 40 minutes from Rome) as well as the Catacombs on the Appia Antica. I also recommend the ruins at Ostia (30 minutes from the center of Rome and near the coast).

Naples
If your interest is archaeology, I would head south to Naples and visit both Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Tuscany
The hill towns are likely to be more crowded than the cities in August. So don't expect the magic portrayed in Under the Tuscan Sun. If you're looking for a true countryside experience you'd be better off heading to the Etruscan towns such as Pitigliano.

Milan
Make your reservation for The Last Supper well in advance.

Florence
Don't balk at the reservation fee charged for booking entrance to the Uffizi online. It beats standing in a 2+ hour line.

Visit www.kidscantravel.com for more.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:25 AM

August is cooler on average than July in a lot of places, but the myth persists that August is hotter for some reason (true in Paris and my hometown in the US on the east coast, also).

I have a very good friend who visited Naples and Amalfi area last summer in July with her friend, both of them German. And she said while some of it was certainly pretty on the coast, the heat was awful and they couldn't enjoy or do a lot of things they would have liked because of that. She just didn't feel that good some of the time, but they weren't going to go hiking or things they like to do, and had to stay inside part of the time (and they are budget travelers, so their hotel didn't have AC, I think, and that was not pleasant). She didn't really enjoy it that much and said she'd never do it again -- and they are Germans and don't even have AC in their apt. in Dresden. A lot of Germans go to Italy for vacation in August, it's full of them.