Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

wanting to take a trip in august is this a good idea?

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi me and my boyfriend are wanting to take a trip to rome but from what im reading it seems that august might not be a good idea. i would like to stay for about a week and see the vatican city, colosseo, basilica di san pietro,and maybe a couple more places for sure. i would also like to do a little shopping not much just like the usual souvenirs.will this be a problem? how much time should i set aside for these tours? or can we do them alone? are alot of things closed during this time? i hope you can all help answer my questions thank you in advance.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:34 AM
ira

Hi p,

Rome in August is better than not going at all.

What's your budget?

How are you getting there?

Start with Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34443340

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:49 AM

If August is when you can go, you should go in August. It may be hot then and being the height of the season a bit crowded so get a good guidebook and make reservatiosn ahead of time for the Vatican museum and any other musuems you want to see. Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 12:24 PM

most of rome attractions are outside or involve climbing up onto high rooftops etc. this is infinately less pleasurable in the biting winter winds and rain.i think you will like it.get a hotel with a/c. your days will also be longer so you can do more or sleep after lunch.i did what you mentioned alone,but today i would have taken a guided tour of the places you mentioned.souvenir shops/stalls all are over.you can scarecly take a photo of an attraction without them being in it.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 12:34 PM

I've done Rome 3 times: once in early May and once in August. May was great weather with highs in the low 80s and manageable crowds.

Honestly, Rome in August is a nightmare. It is REALLY hot and VERY crowded. Those two elements combined ruin Rome's ruins. I disagree with another poster: it is better not to go at all than to do Rome in August because it will scar your memories of the city.

The third time I went to Rome was over Christmas/New Years. It was fantastic! You'll have all the major tourist sights to yourself, hotels are at your mercy, and the city at night seems extra magical that time of year.

But if you absolutely insist on August, for God's sake leave your jeans at home. I had to learn that one the hard way.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 12:39 PM

If you want better weather and August is the time you need to go you could also consider London and/or Paris. The weather will be cooler that Rome in August.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 12:50 PM

actually i went in christmas. we got caught in the rain more than once, froze to death up on the vittorio monument and on the vatican dome.another freezing episode was waiting for an hour for the bus from villa hadriana back to rome. also on christmas the rome metro closes completely after noon(why dont they hang this info in the station!!!).finally my photos were dull. i cant say that going in august would be better as i didnt go in august,but winter's bad weather left me with memories of a gloomy cold wet rome.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 12:50 PM

My first trip to Italy was Rome in August for my honeymoon, and I loved it. I've been to Italy twice since. You have to be a fan of big, crowded cities in order to visit Rome in the summer. You can do all the siteseeing yourself, but take the tours inside the Vatican to get the most out of it. There will also be plenty of non-souvenier shopping available. Don't let people scare you off by saying everything will be closed. We did not find that to be the case -- only one restaurant that had been recommended to us.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:00 PM

I have to agree with Edward2005 about Rome in December. We were there this past December for 4 nights. We were also there this past March for 3 nights. We had great weather both times. Although it was a little chilly in March, it felt wonderful after coming from cold Vienna! In December the weather was a delight; temps in the 60's and sunny. I believe it rained once, and it was never cold. We saw very few tourists and had little to no lines.

I too have heard horror stories about Rome in August, enough of them to make me avoid the place in the summer. But Rome is fantastic and I agree that going in August would be better than not going at all.

Tracy
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:10 PM

you know if we teamed up we could buy a small lodging their and half of us could use it in the summer, the other half in the winter?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Oh GOD I hated Rome in August!! It was positively stifling. I remember sitting in a cafe one afternoon and looking around and every single person over the age of 5 on the street was positively bathed in sweat. Ugh! I think it colored my entire attitude toward Rome.

That said, you're obviously young, and it probably won't affect you as much as it did me. And if that's the only time you can go, go! Just don't say we didn't tell you it was gonna be HOT!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Yes, Rome can be quite hot in August. But, if it is the only time you can go, I'd say go for it. We did several years ago and had a great time. But, make sure your hotel has working A/C. Bonus is that many Rome hotels give discounts in August.
We went to London before Rome in August, and the temps were the same....high 90s. London was far less prepared for such weather and was MISERABLE. Rome seemed much more pleasant, as though people knew how to adapt to those high temps.

Of course, if you hate hot, sticky weather, stay away. But, if you can adapt, go for it.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your advice i will take it into consideration before we plan our trip.