Reload this Page >

Rome in early August?

Search

Rome in early August?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Mary

Rome in early August?

OK, I understand that all of Italy is on Vacation in August. Does this mean that the airports get overcrowded as all the Italian families leave Italy? Is it comparable to our Spring Break's? Or, do things continue as usual. I'm trying to firm up dates for this summer, and would like to make informed decisions, with realistic expectations&gt;<BR>Thanks,

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Rex

I think that the airports are the least of a travelers' problems, contemplating Italy in August.<BR><BR>General over-crowding (hotels, sights) and over-pricing compete with the considerable summer heat as bigger problems.<BR><BR>I think that most Italian families take to the highways, as do Americans in the summer. And only a small percentage leave their country. By contrast, 200 million fellow Europeans (especially from the north or the east) are less than 12 hours drive from Italy's borders.<BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 05:52 PM
up

topping, for Mary<BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Italy expert

Expect the airport to be very crowded, not exactly with Italians, but French, Germans, Swedish, Norwegians, British and also Americans.<BR><BR>Rex is wrong. August is considered low season for Rome, Milan, Venice, Florence hotels. Just the resort villages, in the Italian Riviera or Sicily, Sardegna, etc, hotels will raise their rates.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 06:04 PM
claire

We were in Rome on the changeover from July to August. Our room rate went waaay down on August 1.<BR><BR>There is far too much to Rome to every see it all in one trip. I can't imagine a tourist not being able to find enough interesting things to do in Rome, even in August. If you have your heart set on a particular cutural event, site, museum, store or restaurant, then by all means check on/with them before you make your plans. Otherwise, sure some places will shut down for vacation, but you'll hardly notice. Go and enjoy!

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Rex

I was wrong when I failed to elaborate on the word &quot;over-pricing&quot;. Many hotels in hot, over-crowded cities do lower their prices. but demand remains very high - - too high. and because of that, the prices are higher than they would be, if demand were not so high.<BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Italy expert

Rex, why is so difficult to admit that you're mistaken? No, here you come and say that &quot;I was wrong when I failed to elaborate on the word &quot;over-pricing&quot;.&quot;<BR><BR>Gosh, such an elaborate post to say that.. white is..well.. huhh.. not so white,just all coulors in one .. and black, well, could be just a dark, very dark color, and not exactly the absence of light.. Baahhh....

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Jasmine, Scala Reale Walking Tours

Dear Mary,<BR><BR>You are correct in that most Italians head for the sea or the mountains in August. The result is not so much an overcrowding of airports but more a disportionate amount of tourists to locals. Restaurants and services that cater to locals often close for the month, while more touristy venues remain open and in full swing. As a resident of Rome, I enjoy the August season because the city has less traffic and less people. There is a quiet to Rome that one can not find at any other time, particularly if you plan to leave the main tourist attractions and wander into neighborhoods such as Trastevere and Monteverde Vecchio. <BR><BR>When booking your August trip, also consider the weather. Italy is stifling hot in July and August, particularly in the south. If the heat gets truly unbearable, head for church. The marble and stone provides a natural cooling system.<BR><BR>Best,<BR><BR>Jasmine.<BR>www.scalareale.org

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Tom

Jasmine,<BR><BR>This is dangerously close to the commercial promotion of your business here on this site. Even though it is well-respected and generally considered to be an ethical walking tour business, your contributions on this forum do just fine without the tagline mentioning your business.<BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:32 AM
ttt

indexed in the morning; not in the afternoon<BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Carol

I agree with Jasmine. <BR>The questions is, do you plan to rent a car? Many Italian families are trying to escape the heat by driving to the mountains up north or the seashore. The traffic on the Autostrada can be horrendous to say the least, particularly around Ferragosta, and the end of the month, with lots of campers, in addition to all the trucks. <BR>Make sure you get a hotel with a/c, and ask for a room on a lower floor. <BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Ana

On 15 of August everything is closed in Italy. <BR>Have a nice trip

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Mary

Carol: We were planning on ending our trip in Rome, end of July &amp; first week of August. We will drop the car off before heading into the city center. We would like to do a day trip down to Pompeii, but we will probably do a bus tour for the day. Otherwise, we won't leave the city.