Reload this Page >

Need B & B in Victoria Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 05:37 AM
Mike from CA

Hi fellow travelers. My wife and I are looking to get away for a 3 day weekend in mid-August and are looking for a quaint B&B in Victoria. We have stayed in a few in the Northwest and they have been great but some are in older run down neighborhoods that would only make you stay indoors. Any suggestions where a 40ish couple looking for a romantic B&B weekend away from THEM (3 kids and 2 dogs) can stay in Victoria and enjoy the beauty of the city inside and out? Really appreciate the help.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 08:56 AM
g mitchell

Go to www.wcbbia.com and look at the sections for Central and Greater Victoria. All are inpected members of the Western Canada B&B Innkeepers Association

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:40 AM
Cindy

I can certainly recommend the b&b we stayed at recently; it was a return visit. We were there last year, and enjoyed it so much we came back again this year. It's in Metchosin, which is about 20 minutes from downtown Victoria; it's accessible but quite rural. It's called Swallow Hill Farm; they have a website (maybe swallowhillfarm.com - ??) I'm not sure it would qualify as "quaint", but it's very pleasant; it's a farm, obviously, and they have 2 miniature horses and a couple of sheep. There's also a duck pond that's a wonderful spot for sitting and reading. I would agree, though, with checking out the above poster's recommended website. One word of caution, and I know there may well be lots of other people who disagree with me, but one b&b that advertises extensively and looks wonderful on paper is the Iris Garden. I stayed there and was quite disappointed; I found a bit of snooty attitude that made me glad I was only there for two nights. Perhaps it was circumstances, perhaps there were other factors - I want to be fair to them, but I didn't like the place much.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:02 AM
April

Do you want to stay in town or out? From a place like the Beaconsfield Inn you could walk (if you don't mind walking) to the Inner Harbour (Empress Hotel, Royal BC Museum, Parliament Buildings) and to Beacon Hill Park. It is not a bad area.<BR><BR>From Rockland where, for instance, Dreemskerry Heritage Home is located you would want to drive or take a bus to town. But Rockland is a beautiful walking area of stately, heritage homes and oak trees. The Lieutenant-Governor's house grounds and Craigdarroch Castle are nearby.<BR><BR>If you mean this August though, I wonder if anything will be available.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 05:54 PM
Maryle

We found a beautiful Bed and Breakfast in Sidney which is just about 20 to 30 minutes from Victoria and is right where the ferry comes in. It is called Beacon Inn but not the one mentioned above. It is a 5 star B & B. We have already booked for May 2003. They have a wonderful web site with even virtural tour of each of the rooms. www.beaconinns.com<BR>Have a wonderful trip.<BR>Maryle

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 08:35 PM
Naneki

I recommend Holland House B&B. You can check out their website at http://www.islandnet.com/~holndhus/

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Mike from CA

Great ideas everyone. Holland House looks awsome!<BR><BR>

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:31 AM
vicky

Re Holland House. Check out the Rants and Raves section on Fodors--if true, not very complimentary to Holland House.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Mike from CA

You are right. I did read it and Holland House is so so to them. Any others closer to town?

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Paul

Mike,<BR>I just returned from Victoria and stayed at the Empress. Absolutely beautiful, classy, historic, chic, and amazing. My wife and I loved it. Perfect location, absolutely in the HEART of all the action. But...expensive. <BR>One B and B that I was very strongly considering was the Hartleigh Heritage Inn. Great reviews by fodors. Check out their website or just call them (I did and they were very friendly and able to give me some good advice over the phone) and looks very romantic. Walking distance from the inner harbor--a good 5-10 minute walk. <BR>but for romance, history, location, etc...you really can't beat the empress. B and B's are everywhere. the empress isn't.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 07:04 PM
April

Did you mean the Haterleigh Heritage Inn? I was going to mention that too but couldn't think of the name. The outside is very attractive. It's in James Bay, not on the greatest of streets but it is close to the main attractions.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Joe

Mike: Just returned from Victoria and stayed at a B&B called Menzies Manor; on Menzies about five blocks behind the parliament building in an area of many Victorians. Also, about half a block from James Bay and the wonderful walking trails along the Bay. We had the Honeymoon Suite whuch was grand. It had a full kitchen, a dinnng area, a very well furnished living room and a beautifully furnished bedroom. The bath was very large with shower and a large multi-jet tub. Breakfast is brought to your dining area at an appointed hour or by calling down when you are ready. Parking is provided. The place was just fantastic.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Al

www.abigailshotel.com without question