Victoria accommodation

Search

Victoria accommodation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victoria accommodation

Narrowed it down to a choice of two for 2 night stay in June, Abigails Hotel or Beacon Inn at Sidney.

Anyone got any views on these hotels?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I don't know the Beacon Inn in Sidney but on the website it looks nice. So is Abigails. It might come down to which location you would prefer. In Victoria you would be relatively close to the harbour, museum, 'parliament' buildings, Empress Hotel and downtown. Also a lot of tourists and panhandlers. A stay in tidy, little Sidney on the other hand would be more low-key. You might spend more time driving around the peninsula from there (including Butchart Gardens) and could take the ferry over to Sidney Spit. Will you have your own transportation?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

April

Thanks for your response, yes we will be taking a car over as I want to have a look round the south end of the island and visit Tofino.

Prices for Abigails and Beacon Inn are about the same, £95 a night which seems very reasonable for a the 5* Beacon Inn. Just wondered if anyone on here had first hand experience of these hotels.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 08:56 PM

I highly recommend staying downtown. Abigails is lovely but the important thing for a limited visit is to see Victoria. Sidney is quite a ways out and the ferry traffic can be heavy at times. You would need to count on a drive of an hour each way. You can walk to so much when you are downtown and I know you would regret not staying there. Sidney is great for a getaway but not for just a two night stay if that is all you have for Victoria. The comment about panhandlers misrepresents Victoria. There are some on the sidewalks downtown (nothing compared to other big cities) but you will be by the inner harbour with entertainers etc which don't come under the "panhandling" category. The Royal BC Museum is world class. The BC Legislative buildings are beautiful and Beacon Hill park is gorgeous. These and many more attractions like the Empress Hotel are all within a couple of blocks from Abigails. I really think you would be pleased with your choice if you stay there.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks. I have booked Abigails for the 2 nights in question.