Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Invermere, BC and Lake Louise, AB- How Are the Fires?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Panorama Resort near Invermere, BC, the first week of Septembe; after first spending a few days a Deer Lodge in Lake Louise. What is the current situation on fires there? I see from other posts that it has been quite smokey and we are wondering...
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:27 AM
SF

We just got back from Invermere/Jasper/Banff/Calgary the night of the 19th. It was an awesome trip but the fires did effect us. We stayed with my cousin in Calgary 2 nights(6th&7th)which was fun. We were supposed to head down to the Crowsnest Pass area to then visit other relatives but they were evacuated from their homes, so we all met up in Invermere,BC where another cousin of mine lives and had a big party instead!!!
We ended up staying there 5 nights(8th,9th,10th,11th,12th)....longer than we had thought but it was great. No smoke there, but we had to go the long way around to get to Invermere via Golden because the other road(93?)leading to Radium was closed. It is open part of each day now though-----in the mornings from 6--11am I think. We spent a day at Panorama and had a great time. We took the chairlift up and hiked around and then our kids went on the bungee jumper. The hotel/condos there looked gorgeous. Now I want to go in the winter and ski!!
Next we headed up to Jasper and once again had to go via Golden, but that was OK since we were heading north anyway this time. The day was beautiful and clear and the mountains were awesome. We stayed part way to Jasper that night at The Crossing.(13th) Just a motel, but great location and we were ready to stop driving! The next day we stopped at the Columbia Icefields Center and went on the Snocoach. That was great---I highly recommend it! The scenery between Lake Louise area and Jasper on the Icefields Parkway is mind blowing. I lived in Colorado and this blows that away by far. We stopped both days and checked out numerous vistas and little hikes. Peyto Lake is my favorite. It's stunning.
Jasper was my favorite place----we stayed 3 nights(14th,15th,16th)----it's smaller and less touristy than Banff. We hiked and rafted and stayed at Becker's which was wonderful.There was barely any smoke noticeable in Jasper.
When we headed down to Banff for our last 2 nights we couldn't believe the difference. We could hardly see the mountains due to smoke. I'm so glad I took plenty of photos on the way TO Jasper. We stayed in Banff at the Douglas Fir Resort(17th) which was OK but a bit of a let down after Jasper. I picked it really for the pool and waterslides for my kids. After one day in the heavy smoke I asked if we could check out early and we ended up back in Calgary with my cousin for our last night.(18th)
I guess you have to be able to be flexible and maybe change plans as needed!?
It was an incredible trip and I'd go back in a second!!! I hope yours is as good and that the fires are done by then!
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:34 PM

Sf- thanks for mentioning the Crossing- we are going to be there next month.

Hopefully, the upcoming rains will take care of the fires.

You said 'it was just a motel' but nothing bad, glad to hear it-that is what I have heard, so I won't expect anything more.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

SF, thank you for the trip report and the great info! We originally booked a week at Panorama, then expanded it to include Lake Louise and Glacier National Park (Montana). When we get back, I'll return the favor and post our experiences at Panorama and all the other spots we visit. Hoping for some clearing of fires.