Montreal restaurant suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Montreal next week for the first time since 1968 so I imagine everything is quite different. We are staying at the Wyndham Hotel.

We are looking for recommendations for small, out of the way French bistro type restaurants/cafes-- The kind that used to be all over New York when we were in college in the sixties. We do not like expensive or attitude restaurants. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 10:59 PM

see topic #14 on this board
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 05:14 AM

Do a search on this site - you'll get plenty of ideas. In general, the area on and around St. Denis, Mt. Royal, Rue Rachel,Prince Arthur, and Duluth is brimming with just the kind of places you are looking for.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. DO you have any specific suggestions for those streets?
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:06 AM

"Attitude" is a such a subjective word, but I'm going to make a stab at what you're looking for. For a classy but friendly brunch experience, I recommend Vaudeville on Bernard near Ave du Parc (metro: Outremont; or the #80 bus from downtown). Patisserie de Gascogne (corner Laurier, du Parc) and Duc de Lorraine (corner Queen Mary, Cote des Neiges, metro: Cote des Neiges or #165 bus from downtown) may not exactly be what you're looking for in that you go up to a counter to order your food, but both have a French ambience.

The two that sprung to mind instantly, I've never actually been to! In a less touristed area of Old Montreal, there's Boris Bistro on rue McGill (metro: Square Victoria). While I haven't actually eaten here, their patio is lovely and it's been recommended by the alt weekly here and if you type in Boris Bistro under SEARCH, I believe it was previously recommended. Cafe Cherrier comes to mind as well and is even recommended on this site (corner rue St. Denis, Cherrier, metro: Sherbrooke).

Bon appetit!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Daniel,
Thanks for the suggestions. We leave in the morning. I will let you know how we fared.