Back from a wondeful vacation!

Jul 24th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Back from a wondeful vacation!

I just got back from my 5 week trip to Montreal, with 2 days in Ottawa and 2 days in Quebec City. For that amount of time I began to rediscover the city I fell in love with eight years ago. I have also confirmed that it is my favourite city, no matter what I see in the future, my heart tells me that Montreal is always going to be my city of choice.
I was very lucky to have a resident of Montreal as my tour guide. I got to see many faces of the city, and not only the ones that tourists only get to see. I would highly recommend taking walks everywhere you can, that way you discover more. The park at Verdun alongside the river is very lovely, and walking up and down Sherbrooke has its own charm.
A few months ago, I had inquired about the shopping scene. I was delightfully surprised and I now wish I had more money to spend. Most of my holiday was spent on the mezzanine level of La Maison Simons. Simons is the most amazing store I have ever laid my eyes upon. I was surprised to know that they carry lines from reputable designers, such as Costume National, J. Lindeberg, Versace Jeans Cotoure, Moschino, DSquared2 and also Montreal's own Dubuc. Simons has magnificent sale prices, slashing them down to fractions of their original.
I found Les Ailes de la Mode very nice to a certain extent, just due to its ambience but that was soured when I found the jacket I bought at Simons for less than half the price.
There are a large number of Canadian chains. I found Bedo to be very nice and towards the top of the list.
Out of the few international brands and designers to open their stores in Montreal, I found that DKNY was by far the best. The store's design and interiors are wonderful, and so are the clothes! (It's a little conservative for my liking, but I found DKNY Jeans was more to my taste)
There is so much more that I could go on forever about Montreal. I hope future visitors will be just as pleased!
Jul 30th, 2004, 12:22 PM

Thanks for your report.

I will be in Montreal for the first time at the beginning of September. I am actually going for only 3 days, and will be attending a wedding and a few related festivities. So, I won't have much time.

We are staying at Hotel du Fort on Rue de Fort. I believe it is a few blocks from the Place des Arts.

Since we will be there for such a short amount of time, I mainly want to just walk around and enjoy the City (as you mentioned). What areas do you recommend?

Do you have any restaurant suggestions?

Where are the good shopping areas?

Thanks!
Jul 30th, 2004, 05:36 PM

LOL! you sound like me when I return from Montreal ... I love to shop there!
Simons was where I bought a ton of Christmas gifts a year ago, I like to find things that one cannot get in any mall in America. I agree with DKNY but I also really like the Club Monaco there too.
Did you go to Eatons? Love their Mac dept and jewelry and bags
I agree also about leaving your heart in Montreal, we go usually twice a year, I haven't been since last August and I am 'homesick' for the city ~
I am happy that you enjoyed your trip.
Scarlett
Aug 1st, 2004, 05:38 PM

To Scarlett:I too will spending a few days in Montreal and would appreciate input as to where to stay and what to do. I read your posts on the Europe board and value your opinion!
Aug 1st, 2004, 06:59 PM

Why Thank you Ron!
If you haven't noticed, I love Montreal, we try to visit at least once a year.
We always stay at the Hotel Le Germaine. If I could not stay there, I would go to the Sofitel.
I prefer that part of town.

This is a small list of my most favorite restaurants, hope it helps. Other people have helped me with recommendations over the years so I have such a nice long list of places to go back to and that are still waiting to try out!

Bistro Detente on Peel
Cafe Cherrier on rue St Denis
L'Express (good lunch/dinner) rue St Denis
L'Actuel on Peel
Hostaria Romana-very comfortable small Italian place on rue Metcalf
Cafe Ferriera-My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE Restaurant in Montreal..we would eat here every night if we could.. rue Peel
Au Petit Extra-corner of rue Ontario and Papineau...second All-Time favorite..a Parisian bistro on a corner in Montreal.
Toque-used to be on rue St Denis, pricey but worth it at least once.
Il Cortile-Italian on rue Sherbrook...unique-very good. Recommended by a lovely Canadian Fodorite.
Zen-in the Omni Hotel on rue Sherbrook-Chinese, very unusual, very good.
Bonaparte in the Auberge Bonapart in Vieux Montreal-sort of formal, good.