Search

Question about Banff

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:15 AM
koi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Banff

I am planning a trip to Banff and Lake Louise this Summer. Is there a lot to do in Banff? I have booked 2 nights at the Rimrock, but am thinking about adding a night. Also, will I be able to take a day trip or tour to Jasper from Lake Louise or is it too far? thanks.......
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 06:45 AM

It's difficult to answer without knowing more about your plans, how long you'll have to spend in the mountains overall, and what activities you like.

The town of Banff itself could occupy a person for a day, I would say. However, if you're into hiking and other outdoor pursuits, Banff could serve as a base for a week's worth of activities.

Yet some of the things that can be seen and done from Banff also can be seen and done from Lake Louise, and you say you'll be going there too.

No, Jasper cannot be done as a day trip from Lake Louise. Realistically a day trip from Lake Louise could take you half way to Jasper and back. This would allow you to get as far as the Columbia Icefields and ride a Snocoach on the Athabasca Glacier, which is an interesting activitiy.

If you wanted to go from Lake Louise to Jasper, you would need a full day because there are so many nice things to stop and see en route (Peyto Lake, Columbia Icefields, Sunwapta Falls, Athabasca Falls, etc.).

I like to have at least a full day to see Jasper's surroundings, but prefer 2 days if possible.

For me a minimal trip to the Canadian Rockies would look like this.

Day 1 - Fly into Edmonton, drive to Jasper

Day 2 - Jasper

Day 3 - Drive Jasper to Lake Louise

Day 4 - Lake Louise

Day 5 - Drive Lake Louise to Banff

Day 6 - Banff

Day 7 - Fly home

But it would be very easy to occupy 2 weeks in the Canadian Rockies. Also, some people approach the Rockies from Vancouver, or go on to Vancouver after the Rockies. So there are a lot of variables.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 06:50 AM

The distance from Banff town to Jasper town site is 287 K, which is about 178 miles. It would be a shame to roar up and down the parkway without having time to stop and enjoy it.

However, you can get a good sample of the Parkway by driving as far as the Icefields Center near the Athabasca Glacier.

A hurried trip that skims the surface is infinitely better than none at all.

Banff never turned me on full blast, and neither does Jasper. They are places to find lodging and other services while visiting those beautiful mountains.

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:03 AM
koi
Original Poster

Great advice, thanks.......where do you think I should stay in Jasper?
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:14 AM

I have spent the night several times at Jasper House Bungalows. Some of the units are actually small apartments with a separate bedroom and a sitting area that has a kitchen corner and eating nook.

Others suggest Becker's Chalets, which are a short drive south of the main town site. Patricia Lake Bungalows are nice, too, but they are so popular that the owner has implemented a 3-night minimum rental.

In town, there are a couple of luxury places and conventional motels like the Tekerra Lodge. I never tried one of them.

Some of the home owners in Jasper have rental rooms in their homes. These are variable in quality but usually much cheaper. I used one once that was like a motel room, with a private bath and entrance. It was was comfortable. The link for private home accommodations is http://www.stayinjasper.com/listings.html

You may or may not find what you are looking for.

I suggest you take a look at the Jasper National Park website and follow some of the links to accommodations. Then you can investigate for yourself.

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:44 AM

Koi, you haven't given us much context. It's difficult to answer a poster's questions when they don't describe the activities they like, what sorts of places they like to stay in, etc. You've given us some idea of your budget from the fact you're contemplating the Rimrock in Banff.

When someone at Fodors is as coy as you are about providing information, I sometimes do a search for their previous posts to get some sense of what they're all about.

I don't have all day to spend on this. In fact after this post I'm off to do Saturday errands and won't be heard from again today. However, in a brief glance at a couple of your other posts I see you enjoyed the Lodge at Moosehead Lake in Maine. I've never been to Maine, but I did a Google search and found the Lodge's website.

If you liked the Lodge at Moosehead Lake, I wonder if you'll like the Rimrock. The Rimrock is an elegant hotel with a fabulous view of the mountains and, based on a stay there quite a while ago, flawless service. But it has 349 rooms compared with the Lodge at Moosehead Lake's 5 rooms!

If you liked the Lodge at Moosehead Lake, I suspect you would like Lady Macdonald Country Inn in Canmore (20 minute drive from the town of Banff).

http://www.ladymacdonald.com/

In Lake Louise I recommend the Post Hotel or Deer Lodge (but if you go to Deer Lodge be sure to ask for a Tower Room as the other rooms are tiny).
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:50 PM

stay in banff and travel between banff and Lake louise.It is a great ride between both towns.Lake louise is very quiet,Banff is quiet but there is more to do.Then travel and stay near Jasper.We stayed at Banff springs in a suite and loved it.The service was amazing.We had dinner at the Rimrock and it was excellent.This hotel was lovely as well.Alberta is beautiful.
Have Fun
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:35 PM

koi - if you are staying at the Rimrock, the equivalent place in Jasper would be Jasper Park Lodge (a Fairmont "hotel" in a lovely setting by a little lake, near a golf course).

If you want a bit of a different experience than a big hotel, try Becker's Chalets (cabins and "fourplexes" in a forest setting by the Athabasca River where you can watch whitewater rafters bobbing by in the summer months; there is a dining room/restaurant on site).

For more accommodation information online, check this website:

http://www.explorealberta.com/

(and follow the links to the locations of interest to you).