Search

Banff / Jasper

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banff / Jasper

If you had 6 days to spend (not counting arrival and departure days), how would you divide your time?

My sister and I are in our 60s and enjoy scenery and short, easy hikes.

We are thinking of staying the first 3 nights in the Jasper area and then 2 nights in the Banff area. Should we be moving around more?

Our first and last nights will be spend near the Calgary airport as we arrive late and leave early.

Any advice would be appreciated (including accommodation recommendations). Thank you!
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:24 AM

We just got back from 3 nights in the Jasper area and 4 nights in Banff. Flew into Edmonton, rented a car and drove to Jasper. Flew home from Calgary. We got the one year national parks pass as price came out a little less than buying daily passes, and we did visit park areas requiring a pass every day of our trip.

I would spend more time in Banff based on our experience--we found a lot more of interest to us with Banff as our base compared to Jasper. 3 days were fine for us in the Jasper area, but we could have used more time in the Banff area. Saw a lot more wildlife during our 4 days around Banff, Lake Louise, Yoho, etc.

Enjoyed Becker's Chalets just south of Jasper. Restaurant is good, but pricey.

Charlton Cedar Lodge in Banff was fine, but if we had to do it over again we'd stay closer to downtown.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 01:00 PM

We are actually doing this trip in Sept. It is our third trip to the area.

We are staying the first 3 nights in Lake Louise at Paradise Lodge--they have a 3 nt. hiker special.

Then we are driving the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. Two nts at Patricia Lake.

Drive back down the Parkway--lots of stops and it is worth driving twice. You can split up your hikes and stops.

Spending one nt. in Banff.

We would really like to have 10 days but it didn't work out for us. We are spending the first night near the airport.

Our last visit, we loved our stays at Emerald Lake Lodge(my favorite), Beckers in Jasper and Baker Creek in Lake Louise.

We choose to stay in Lake Louise because it is closer to the hiking we want to do. Staying in Banff is great too. We head into Banff on rainy days.

Enjoy planning your trip.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM

on a recent trip we overnighted at Radium Hot Springs and loved soaking in the beauiful setting

cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jake, Linda and Andrew. After reading your responses and getting a little more familiar with the area, we now planning:

1st night Calgary Airport (arriving close to midnight).

2 & 3 - Paradise Lodge in Lake Louise. (Thanks, Linda!)

4 & 5 - Jasper at Jasper Alpine Inn if we can get the 2nd night--trying today.

6 - Banff -- no hotel yet.

7 - Back at Calgary/Airport hotel to drop sister off and pick up husband for our 11-day trip in the area.

I have a lot of planning yet to do, so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Thanks again and any other suggestion/recommendations would be great!

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Did you get your second night at the Jasper Inn Alpine Resort (formerly known as the Jasper Inn Motor Lodge)? The word "resort" is sure kicked around a lot these days - the property is a (nice) motel, with onsite restaurant, lounge and pool.

For general information about the park, things to see & places to go(free), check out Parks Canada's Jasper National Park website:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/index_e.asp

For listings of accommodations, paid attractions etc., Jasper Tourism & Commerce's website has all the local info:

www.jaspercanadianrockies.com

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

krp, yes, we did get the extra night.

Thanks for links!