Reload this Page >

One week in Canadian Rockies

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Mary and Bill

We are planning a week in July and would like to hear recommendations about Banff, Emerald Lake, Lake Louise, Icefields and Jasper. We love to hike and are not crazy about driving all the time. What two or three home bases should we use and for how long. We also would like to do white water rafting, canoeing and horse back riding.

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:07 AM
Christine

I would definitely recommend 2-3 nights in each location. Rafting, horseback riding and canoeing can all be done at each location. Jasper has the most accessible rafting that can suit all needs from beginners to the experienced all within a one hour drive. For more assistance, vist www.rockymountainreservations.com<BR>

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:22 AM
x

just split the stay between banff & jasper - don't know where emerald lake is but you can do a day trip to lake louise from banff (40 minutes away). jasper is best for rafting. banff is much busier in town then jasper is.

Old May 21st, 2002, 09:26 PM
lisa

We went to Banff long ago, but it is one of our most memorable vacations ever. It is remarkable. <BR><BR>Alas, you only have a week! We were happy staying at Lake Louise in Banff Nat. Park. It is near Morraine Lake and Emerald Lake (both worth a visit) and a great base for going on a day trip to the town of Banff or up to the Ice Fields Parkway for a ride out on the glacier. Get the Michelin Green Guide to Canada and follow the advise they give on Banff. <BR><BR>At Lake Louise, there are a few choices. The Chateau is way expensive, but has views out on the lake. (not worth the price, to me) Right behind it, but also at the lake, is Deer Lodge, which is very nice. Lower down the road is the Post Hotel, which gets rave reviews. (check the web sites for all these places)<BR><BR>There are also nice lodges at Emerald Lake and Morraine Lake. But, these are all relatively close to Lake Louise, and I would chose just one spot to stay in while in Banff Nat. Park.<BR><BR>I've not been to Jasper and know nothing about rafting. If you decide on a place in Banff Nat. Pk, why not call and ask them about rafting and the other activities you are interested in. <BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:51 AM
Aarti

Hi. Banff is wonderful! I was there last december and had the best time! I stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs hotel. You might want to consider it as one of your options. I dont know about summer activities, but the concierge did a great job of arranging and planning our outdoor 'snow' activities. Jasper is only 40 minutes away and if it were me, persoanlly Id stay in Banff and drive out to Jasper for rafting and other day activities. Like someone mentioned here, the town is livlier and busier at banff and obviously nicer to walk around. Good luck!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:15 AM
M.

40 minutes from Banff to Jasper? are you sure?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:46 AM
x

it is NOT 40 minutes between banff & jasper. if you want to go to jasper (which i'd recommend) you need to plan on staying at least one night & personally, i'd stay about 3 or 4.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:25 PM
lisa

I think Lake Louise is about 40 minutes from Banff, right? Maybe that is what Aarti was thinking about.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:27 PM
Aarti

Wooooops apologies!!! Banff to Lake Louise is about 45 mins. I didnt mean Jasper, preoccupation-of-the-mind error. Jasper takes about 3-4 hours. Sorry once again. <BR><BR>Aarti

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 04:23 PM
ttt

ttt