Lake Louise/ Jasper

Jun 15th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Lake Louise/ Jasper

We will be visiting Calgary in a few weeks--have been there quite often since I have relatives in Calgary. Have visited Banff and Lake Louise before and am always amazed at how spectacular the area is. My question is that we will have 3 nights (4 days) in the Lake Louise/ Jasper area and I am not sure where the best place to stay is. We have not really seen much north of Lake Louise and so would like to focus on that area between LL and Jasper. Any recommendations of where we can stay between those 2 spots or do you recommend we set our base in either Jasper or L Louise itself? Thanks
Jun 15th, 2004, 06:59 AM

I recommend using Jasper as a base. Lake Louise and Jasper are far enough apart that it is not feasible to use Lake Louise as a base for seeing things in the Jasper area. There is little accommodation between Lake Louise and Jasper, so it's better to plan on staying in Jasper.
Jun 15th, 2004, 08:11 AM

I agree with Judy.

The Icefield Parkway between Lake Louise and Banff has many scenic stops and points of interest, so the mileage on its own doesn't really give you a good sense of how long it will take you to drive it (unless all you do is drive - which I think is unlikely!!).

To take in all the sights at a comfortable pace, stay at least one night in Jasper (two nights in Jasper and one in Lake Louise or Banff might be best).

Jun 15th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input!
Jun 15th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Any recommended hotels in the Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper areas?
Thanks
Jun 15th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Hello Philbill,

You may want to look into the price and logistics of doing this trip in reverse. This topic came up recently when a poster enquired about driving from Calgary to Vancouver. It turned out they would save a bundle on their car rental if they would pick up in Vancouver and drop off in Calgary.

Well that was true of the September dates on which they would be travelling. One would need to make queries for relevant dates and see what the results were.

Anyway, in looking at one car rental company's rates around the middle of July, I see that picking up in Jasper and dropping off in Calgary is a bit less than half the price of doing it the other way round.

In order to get the full price picture, you of course would need to compare air fares as well. Flying from home to Vancouver and then from Calgary to home might be one air fare, and flying from home to Calgary and from Vancouver to home may be another air fare.

Anyway, I've derailed you (no pun intended) from your original question about accommodation.

You can see the Banff / Lake Louise area from one base in Lake Louise, Banff or Canmore. The further west you go (Lake Louise), the more centrally you are located with respect to the mountain scenery. The further east you go (Banff and Canmore), the more access you have to a larger selection of accommodation.

When it comes to Jasper National Park, Jasper townsite definitely is the place to use as a base.

What price range are you looking for (upscale or moderate), what kind of accommodation do your prefer (hotel, self-catering cabin, etc.), and what time frame will you be going?

Time frame is relevant, because accommodation gets booked up far in advance during the popular months of July and August. Much as I love the small village of Lake Louise, it tends to get sold out. Also, some places in Lake Louise and perhaps even a few places in Jasper require a minimum stay of 2 nights during the peak summer season.
Jun 15th, 2004, 12:44 PM
ltt

i'd head straight from calary to jasper via the parkway taking the entire day to enjoy it. spend two nights in jasper and drive back to lake louise for your last night. you won't have to stop as much on your return trip so could do it in around 4 hours.