Banff and Lake Louise July 27-30

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2013, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 4 from Indiana. We have the opportunity to go someplace unthought of because of accumulated skymiles. We have 3 tickets free and have to only purchase one. We love our local Smoky Mountains and want to see the Beautiful Canadian Rockies. We fly in on the 26th of July and fly out on the 31st which gives us four whole days to hike and see the beauty. We have decided to stay in Banff as our base location. We did this so we could shop and eat out in the evenings. We have a hotel with complimentary breakfast so we can be up and out early. We want to hike the Tea House and plain of 6 glaciers. We would like to see waterfalls and just beautiful scenery in general. Is there a place where it is frequent to see wildlife. Any information would be so helpful. We are definite out of towners and want to see something we may never get the chance to see as a family again as are girls are 20 and in college and soon to be going in their own direction in life. I look forward to your response and cant wait til July....Amanda
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 12:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I take it that you are flying into and out of Calgary.
Please take the time to get to Jasper and the Maligne valley.
Also see Maligne Lake. You should see some Mountain goats and perhaps elk.
If you decide to take a bus tour rather than driving a rental car, you should look up Brewster tours.
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

How far is the drive from Banff to Maligne Lake. It looks like something we would like to definitely include. I think I would like to take the boat ride to Spirit Island and take the opportunity to take pictures. We will be driving in a rental car.
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 09:28 PM

Hi, wess,

If you do want to go to Lake Maligne you would possibly need to stay overnight in Jasper or around there somewhere. The distance seems to be 144 miles (232 km) between Banff and Jasper, and Lake Maligne is out of Jasper. However, all is not lost. If you did decide to go to Lake Maligne you will travel past the Icefields, and Lake Louise. You could probably call in there on the way back to Banff, do the hikes you want to, and perhaps even stay there the night. Then you can return to Banff for the rest of your time.
Another option is to take a day trip to Lake Louise, leaving Banff early. That should give you several hours at L L.

I haven't been there yet - we are going in late September to Jasper for 2 nights then to Banff for 5 nights. However, I have done a fair amount of research so we can make the most of our short time in this area. We are also visiting Moraine Lake not far out of Banff, but on a tour as we will not be driving in Canada. (We are from New Zealand and drive on the left!)

Oops, just re-read your posting where you say you have booked a hotel in Banff. Anyway, treat the above as some further suggestions!

Have an awesome trip. I know we are so looking forward to seeing Banff and the surrounding areas.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 02:59 AM

My suggestion for your 4 days would be:
day 1:leave Banff and drive to Jasper along the Columbian icefields(lots to see waterfalls,mountain lakes ...)I would stay in Becker chalets for one night(it's on the road to Jasper not far)and visit Maligne lake.
day 2ame road in reverse and continue to see the sites(perhaps take the trip up Athabasha glacier in a special huge truck)
day 3 tay in Banff,drive to Lake Louise (not far)but dont forget to visit Lake Moraine(close to lake Louise)It's much nicer.It's surrounded by 10 high mountain peaks and you can hire a canoe.day 4:bANFF VISIT SURROUNDINGS,LAKE,CABLE CAR;;;
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 05:01 AM

Go down to the golf course at the Banff Springs hotel in the early morning and as dusk sets in - that's where we see the most elk. Funny site, with the golfers trying to "play through" the critters. There is a road that you can take all around it.

I've only been there in September/October, so hopefully they are also there in the summer.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 04:27 PM

Banff is beautiful! You will love it. I lived there for a year many years ago and have gone back to visit many times since. Within Banff you must do the sulphur pools - great to relax in at the end of the day. Also the gondola ride gives you a great view. If you like to hike don't miss Jackson Canyon. It's a spectacular canyon which gets better the higher you go. You'll find it on the old highway about 10 miles north of Banff heading to Lake Louise. You also must see Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. Both have fabulous walks around the lake. Lake Louise has a great hike up to Lake Agnes which is a beautiful glacier fed lake sitting high above Lake Louise. At the top is a lovely little tea house. (You'd mentioned hiking the Tea House - I'm wondering if this could be it.). If you have time, you can cross into British Columbia and make the drive to Emerald Lake. It is one of the most spectacular lakes you will ever see. As the name implies, it is a gorgeous emerald colour. By the way, the colour of the water in the rivers is turquoise. Quite beautiful. If you cn do an overnight to Jasper - do! If you can't do an overnight, you can still do the drive up to the Columbia Icefields. This highway drive has been voted one of the top 10 scenic drives in the world. I agree with Sludick that you can usually see the elk on the Banff Springs Golf Course in the morning. In fact you may see them walking down the Main Street . Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife when you're driving. The main highway has fencing along it now with special animal bridges so you won't see them on the side of the road. If you take the old highway between Banff and Lake Louise you may see wildlife. If you go over to Lake Minewanka (a few miles outside of Banff you'll probably see a lot of Big Horn Sheep. Finally, you must take a little time and drop into the Banff Springs Hotel. Have a drink in the Rundle Lounge and look out at the spectacular sights. Then wander around the hotel - it's quite a place. You may even run into one of its resident ghosts. Have a wonderful time.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 05:11 PM

susan4207 - Lake Minnewanka is where the dam is, correct? That's where we have seen a number of big horn sheep, but I know they move around a lot depending on time of year, so was not sure.

Jackson Canyon - Johnson Canyon is your thought? Agree heartily here also, as long as you get there early before the crowds. The trail is very well developed, with railing in spots - don't miss this, really pretty.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the replies. They all help greatly with guiding us through your beautiful country. I can't wait. I have never seen mountains like this and want to see so much in such little time. I feel lucky to get the chance to see all of these beautiful sites. Keep the replies coming. I will do my homework and try to figure out how to see as much as possible in our 4 days there.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 03:52 AM

Yes Sludick, Lake Minnewanka is the one with the dam. It's just the other side if the Trans Canada directly across from Banff. It's also the only lake in the park that allows motorized craft. You're also correct that it's Johnson Canyon, not Jackson. Thanks for the correction. But it is well worth it.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 03:54 AM

You will love the Canadian Rockies. With 4 days though, I don't think you have time to go to Jasper--maybe you could do a one day drive partway up the Icefields Parkway--one of the most beautiful drives in N. America.

You will have plenty to do, especially if you enjoy hiking, spending the whole time seeing Banff/Lake Louise/Moraine Lake/Emerald Lake/Takkakaw Falls.

With your short time, I would also choose either the Lake Agnes Teahouse trail or the Plain of Six Glaciers trail. They both start at Lake Louise. There are some nice trails around Moraine Lake.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 07:43 PM

I second LindainOhio that you probably don't have the time to go all the way to Jasper. However, drive halfway up the Icefields Parkway and you can visit the Athabasca Glacier in the Columbia Icefield. It would make a nice day trip from Banff with lots of time to stop and see the sights along the way.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jas...t/visit32.aspx
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Getting really excited for this trip. I feel whatever we see will be beautiful and new to us. Thank You everyone for your help. I still check everyday for ideas. Amanda

I have read about July temps. We want to pack as efficiently as possible. Any must haves or just ideas on what to pack?
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 10:22 AM

Even though you'll be there in July, weather in the mountains can run the gamut from warm and sunny to rainy to snow, all in the same day. And it will cool off at night and be chilly in the morning. The best strategy is to wear layers.

Must haves would be a wind/rainproof shell jacket under which you can layer lighter tops like t-shirts and warmer ones like a fleece. Gloves are also good to have.

For hiking, you need footwear with good grips. Coming down a muddy trail can be dangerous if you don't. Runners/sneakers don't have enough IMO, so I would reccomend a pair of proper dayhiking boots.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Your response has been a lot of help.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Is it possible to drive from Banff to Maligne Lake, take the cruise and drive back in one day...I realize it is quite a trek but we would be up for the challenge..we can sleep on the plane ride home the next day. Only being there for 4 days and not knowing when or if ever we will get back with the kids we would love to do this....how long would this take.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 06:26 PM

No---but you will see beautiful lakes in the Banff area--Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Emerald Lake......don't worry about seeing Maligne Lake. I would only go to Jasper if I could spend at least 2 nights.

The Icefields Parkway is a beautiful drive though and you should drive at least partway north. Go on a clear day, pick up a picnic lunch--stop at Bow Summit and see Peyto Lake. Lots of beautiful places to stop along the drive. I don't know if you will make it to the Columbia Icefields Center--I would just play it by ear.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 05:38 PM

LindainOhio is exactly right. With four days, skip Jasper and stay in the Banff area (including Yoho National Park) enjoying all the beautiful lakes, mountains, and hikes there. Spend one day driving some of the Icefields parkway, turning around to head back to Banff whenever the mood feels right. You are going to have a wonderful trip in this beautiful part of the world!