Help montreal hotel

Mar 5th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Help montreal hotel

I have searched and read alot and still can't decide on a hotel in Montreal. There are five of us. We are 11yrs, 13yrs, 19months and myself and my partner. We are driving in from NS and are going to an event at the bell centre (two of us are) and need a near by hotel(not much driving if possible.) We would like to be as cheap as possible but do not want anything scummy. We were looking at the Novotel but it is about 400 for 2 nights we were hoping for about 300. I don't know the streets of Montreal to say they can walk after the show. How safe is it? The Novotel looks like it is just across the street. I think I sa a Days inn nearby. Please help.
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:27 AM
BAK

Montreal's an expensive town, so it really is hard to find bargain hotels.

But sometimes Priceline, or just negotiating over the phone, leds to good deals.

The Bonaventure Hilton has an indoor-outdoor pool that 11 and 13 year old kids love.

The Hilton is connected by tunnels to Central Station, where there's lots of excellent food kiosks and small restaurants (a deluxe food court) and you might save $50 on food by eating there a couple of times instead of in regular restaurants, so that might make up for some of the higher cost of the hotel.

Depending on where you are walking in Montreal -- most areas are fine in the latish evening.

The Metro (subway) is excellent, and kids who have nevr been on one of these like the experience, so it's a good way to get around.

I used to live in Montreal and we had a parking contract at the Hilton so parked there often on weekends and just walked around the city from there, with a toddler in a stroller. We'd still walk down to old Montreal
BAK

Mar 6th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Montreal is very safe at night, especially near the Bell Centre, where there will be tons of people milling about after the event. You can be flexible about where to stay in terms of distance, if the hotel is too far to walk, a cab shouldn't cost you more than $15 (that's max) anywhere within the downtwn area. Go to hotels.ca or travelocity.ca and put in the Bell Centre address and they'll give you hotels nearby. 1260 de la Gauchetiere West. Hope this was helpful! Let me know if you need more info!
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Try the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal. It is a newer property, good location, and reasonable prices. It was recommended to me by some Montreal locals in the neighborhood and my clients really liked it - they got all of the benefits of staying in Old Montreal without the cost of the boutique, historic hotels.

I like the taxi system in Montreal - the prices are fixed rates and the cabs seemed clean and drivers were mostly polite. The doorman or hotel staff can with the taxi. Driving in an unfamiliar city is an unnecessary stress, so let a taxi driver do the driving. The cab fare will be similar to the driving and parking.

Have a great day!
Julia
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the help. I actually am so out of it trying to plan this that I hadn't even thought of them taking a cab. I usually like to be able to plan a trip more than 2 months ahead. I like to do my research. Although I have never gone on to priceline.com before. I'm looking into the Springhill suites as it gives us the space we need in a hotel room for the 5 of us. Thanks for the advice.
Mar 9th, 2007, 04:24 PM

I live in Northern Vermont and use Priceline all the time. I usually spend
$45-$60(US) for 3 star a double room and get the Downtown Hyatt Regency. Some bidders get the Delta but most get the Hyatt. If you want to use Priceline you should absolutely visit Bidding For Travel at
http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding
BTW, I never bid on less than a 3 star hotel.

Invest 60 minutes of your time to read about bidding on Priceline and you can save a lot of money. Read the Hotel FAQ's. You can even post the dates you'll be visiting Montreal and they'll recccomend a bidding strategy. Just put the time in to learn about Priceline, it can be complicated at first, but I've saved thousands over the years.

Mar 9th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Oh I just noticed there are 5 of you. I don't know how priceline handles that, but you can check.
Mar 10th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Check out the Auberge Sans Soucy in Old Montreal. I think they have a suite on the first floor which might serve you well(no kitchen tho'). This is an immensely gay friendly hotel!
Mar 26th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Someone mentioned Springhill Suites. I stayed at there after it just opened a number of years ago and I can say that it was a wonderful hotel. The breakfast bar is included. Most Springhill Suites have mini fridges in the room and I am pretty sure this one did too. That would be very convenient for you with kids. It is in old Montreal-very pretty. You would be near the waterfront too.

The other place I would mention is the Holiday Inn in China town. The subway is just across the street and the price was within reason. It's a clean hotel and I think there was an indoor pool, but I don't recall for sure. Chinatown is very reasonably priced for restauants too.

As far as safety goes the only area that would not want to walk around at night, would be in the eastern section of St.Catherines Street. It is seedy with sex shops and strip joints.
Mar 28th, 2007, 01:55 PM

I used to stay at the Novotel when I traveled often to Montreal on business. It is a good hotel and if you can get a rate there that fits your budget would be good for you.
Mar 28th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Many visitors attending Bell Centre events stay at the Sheraton Centre. A friend who recently attended a Leafs-Habs hockey game stayed at this hotel, and FWIW saw Don Cherry and Ron Maclean in the lobby.