Montreal Hotel with Baby

Old Jul 5th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal Hotel with Baby

I have enjoyed every trip after fab recommendations from Fodorites & this time we areplanning to go to Montreal. My husband, 14month old son & I are planning to go to Montreal end of July for 4 nights, 5 days including air travel from NYC. I spent all these weeks researching Quebec City which we dont have a direct flight to & my husband refuses to travel to Newark with a 1 year old & spend 5 hours prior for a 2 hour flight, so Montreal is last minute.
I have been reading fodors & tripadvisor but am very confused about hotels. I like the idea of staying in old Montreal but am not sure.This is what I am looking for:
1)Luxury
2)Walking distance or easy metro ride to restaurants, underground city, some attractions
we are not planning on driving
3) Provides a crib/cot
4)Larger room to accomodate the same
5)Didnt like Le Square Phillip type
6)We like romantic places & wont have any nightlife due to my son, most will be day activities & lunches
7)With a balcony where we can hang out while he sleeps
8)I have read about old montreal, latin quarters & downtown.I am confused which is good for a baby but I prefer charming, get the feel of montreal & easy walkability.
9) Willing to spend US $ 250 night
Also how much does cab cost from old montreal to downtown.
Any must see attractions for us? We wont be able to do more then 5-6 things in our trip , its hard with a 14month's schedule, what should we not miss?
Thanks so much for helping once again.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Hi!
Have you ever considered renting an apartment for your stay? I always love this option, as it gives you more space with a kid and more of a feel for the place.
I have often used vrbo and have only positive comments (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...uebec/montreal).

I would concentrate on the Plateau Mont-Royal area(everything is walking distance, and it's my favorite neighborhood... and where I live! or Old Montreal (charming, but more empty at night. Latin Quarter is a bit "rougher" and busier than the Plateau.

From old Montreal to downtown, I would figure $10 tops.

Johanne
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Our favourite, Hotel Le Saint Sulpice, meets all your needs and I think the rates are within your budget. It's an all-suite hotel and I believe ours was a deluxe suite - 750 sq. ft. suite, beautifully decorated in a contemporary style, lovely large bathroom, a fireplace and a nice balcony overlooking the central courtyard. There was a nicely appointed kitchen area (real plates/wine glasses, linen napkins, etc.) and the hotel is central in Old Montreal. I'd certainly say it's romantic. I imagine they'd have a crib available. There are suites of varying sizes.

Here's the website:

http://www.lesaintsulpice.com/2010/en/home.html
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jojonana, what is plateau?I thought it was the latin quarter.Goddesstogo thanks, I am seriously considering Le SS but how is it with location? walkable to metro? are there restaurants, cafes around & how much would a cab ride be from there to downtown? Thanks alot.Any more opinions?
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM

The Saint Sulpice is in the heart of Old Montral so there are tons of restaurants, cafes, shops, galleries, a charming square with buskers, etc. I'm sorry, I can't help you with info about cab fares. I've walked from Old Montreal to downtown (and, crazily, in the freezing cold) and didn't find it too far. Your best bet is to googlemap the hotel or maybe someone here who's more familiar with Montreal can tell you.

Also, try doing a search of the hotel name here.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Coming from nyc is it better to stay in old montreal or downtown. Any other opinions on hotels?
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM

I like Montreal but personally I feel that its downtown core is similar to that of any large-ish city. It's Old Montreal that's really distinctive.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 02:16 PM

I agree that downtown does sometimes feel like just another city, but it can also be convenient. You can walk on the Golden Mile, get to Mont Royal Park, etc
There are some good hotels downtown, the Omni, Sofitel, Loew's Vogue that have some luxury features. Luxury hotels near Old Montreal include the Intercontinental, the W and the Westin. Some of the hotels have pools that might be good on a hot day. I don't know how suited some of the boutique hotels are to staying with a baby.

What would you like to do when in Montreal? Must see sights differ from person to person. I like to visit a museum, go to some of the food markets, walk around Old Montreal and look at the old buildings.
Check http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/ for special events that might be on when you are there. Some festivals are fun, but may make some areas too crowded to get around with a small child in a stroller.

If you are coming from New York, note that the Metro stations are farther apart than the subway stations in NYC/Manhattan. The stop nearest Old Montreal can be pretty far from where you might be, and that's why walking or taxis might be a better bet sometimes
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks alexa I like the idea of old montreal hotels even with cobblestone n a stroller.
As far as what to do besides seeing old montreal I haven't researched it yet.I won't do museums with a baby but am open to relaxing things to do n what else besides old montreal to see? Let me know
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Oh and my husband would love food markets, he is in the business
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM

The main food markets are Atwater and Jean Talon.
Jean Talon is a bit further out by Metro but I really prefer it, much larger and has indoor and outdoor stalls and shops.

http://www.marche-jean-talon.com/
http://www.marche-atwater.com/
There are some interesting ethnic food shops up and down St Laurent street, within a few blocks of Schwartz Deli.

As far as staying in Old Montreal, I hadn't even considered the cobblestones, but whether the hotels themselves are really geared towards infants, You'd have to check with each one and see how they respond about cribs etc.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks got it
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 06:21 AM

The tourism website has good descriptions of the different neighborhoods including the Plateau and Old Montreal
http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/Dis...Neighbourhoods

I like the Plateau better myself but I think if you want a luxury hotel you would have more options in Old Montreal.