Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal hotel w/pool for Memorial Day weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 10:50 AM
Iza
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to visit Montreal for the long weekend May 23-26. Looking for a nice upscale place to stay near all of the &quot;action&quot;. We would prefer a hotel or B&amp;B with some character, preferably non-chain, up to $200-250 per night (US). We want to soak up the atmosphere, visit a museum or two, have dinner at a nice French restaurant, do some window shopping. We will have our 9 year old daughter with us whose only requirement is that the hotel has a pool. Also, do hotels in Montreal provide parking? We will drive from Connecticut but would like to walk or take the metro in Montreal.<BR>Thanks in advance for all tips and recommendations.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:53 PM

Hi. I have heard lots of great things about Le Germain, which is right downtown and is probably the closest thing you will get to an upscale B&amp;B in the downtown core. It's a boutique hotel. I'm not sure if they have a pool, but I doubt most B&amp;B/ Boutique types do anyway. Also, Montreal hotels naturally provide parking. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to repost.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 01:09 PM
Iza
Original Poster

Having never been in Montreal, which would be the better location for a first time visitor, downtown or Old Montreal?
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 01:23 PM

Most of Downtown is within walking distance or in bad weather a short Metro ride of Old Montreal. The Inter-Conrtinental is the closest first class hotel near Old Montreal and only a couple of blocks from Place Ville Marie which is the heart, (sorta), of Downtown Montreal.<BR><BR>I've stayed twice at the Inter-Contuinental and have been very pleased both times. It has a pool and is relatively small and peaceful with a really excellant restaurant. It almost fits the category of a botique hotel. There is limited parking but I don't know what they charge.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 05:04 PM

Dear Iza,<BR><BR> I would like to add my 2 cents if you please. Firstly, let me remind you to claim the taxes on your hotel-please get the form either at the airport(preferable) or at the hotel. You will get the money refunded. If it was me, although Old Montreal is charming, I would stay around Sherbrooke St. A new hotel and a very nice one is Hotel Sofitel(that might be my first choice)1155 Sherbrooke-go on www.sofitel.com click on montreal. Although Sofitel is part of a chain I much prefer the location to the Le Germain in my humble opinion - the location is unbeatable! It is really nice. The number is 514-285-9000. It has all the amenities and will give you FREE passes to use the pool right across the street. You should not have a problem with montreal hotels and parking-just ask.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 05:24 PM

Dear Iza,<BR><BR> Oops-you are driving so to get your refund, request a form from your hotel. Here are other suggestions but I really like the one I suggested on my previous post(a stone's throw away from great shopping &amp; museums).<BR>Another one with a roof-top pool is the Cantlie Suites Hotel at 1-800-567-1110 on 1110 Sherbrooke or www.hotelcantlie.com also very well located. Next: Chateau &amp; Hotel Versailles www.versailleshotels.com; Delta Hotel(a bit out-ok)but may have pool www.deltahotels.com 1-800-268-1133, B&amp;B www.bbmontreal.com<BR>Old Montreal(although I would stay downtown): Le St. James(spectacular) 1-866-841-3111 www.hotellestjames.com <BR>Hotel St. Paul 514-380-2222, hotel Saint-Sulpice 514-288-1000<BR>Another hotel downtown that probably has a pool(not a boutique hotel obviously) is Sheraton(878-2000)-an ok location-not great but ok in terms of location. The Le Germain is fine but I guess I have other choices. Hope this helps
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 07:14 PM

Hello Iza<BR><BR>If you need any more info please let me know
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 07:40 PM
ron

When I think of Montreal hotel and swimming people, the first thing that comes to mind is the Hilton Bonaventure, with its rooftop outdoor heated pool.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 04:30 AM

Iza,<BR>Old Montreal is a sort of quasi-parisian area with many souvenir shops, art galleries and restaurants. There are several boutique hotels in the area: Le Place D'armes I hear is very good. Also, there is a Springhill Suites by Marriott that just opened. However, I would still stay in the downtown core as there is much more to do. It would take quite long for you to walk from downtown to Old Montreal but there are quick and efficient Metro stations all around.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:40 AM
Iza
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the helpful responses. We know about the tax refund because we took advantage of it when we went skiing at Mont Tremblant in February. <BR><BR>So it sounds like in order to get a pool we should stay at one of the large hotels downtown - which probably would be fine as long as I can get something around 4*. I checked Sofitel and it looks really nice. I also liked the looks of the Omni and Loews Vogue. Is Hilton Bonaventure on par with these hotels?<BR><BR>If we decide to forego the pool, the places that caught my attention were: Place D'Armes, Le Germain, Auberge du Vieux-Port, Nelligan and Saint Sulpice. Any comments and recommendations as to these choices?
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:10 AM

<BR>Hi Iza,<BR> My husband and I are big fans of Le Germain. We have stayed there every year now since they opened. Before that we stayed at the Omni which was the Four Seasons, then the Westin THat is a nice hotel if you want large, and impersonal. The Le Germain website will give you an idea of how nice the rooms are, Frette linens, very personal service from a great staff. Much more character than the Omni or the Vogue.<BR>The Cantile Suites are not at all in the caliber of the hotels you are talking about. Used to be an apt house, converted into hotel suites. Only thing is the location, right on Sherbrooke.<BR>The Le Germain is right around the corner off Sherbrooke , we walk to the museum all the time from there, to St Catherine to shop, to rue Peel to lunch, to Holt Renfew to wishful shop<BR>The Germain provides valet parking for all guests.<BR>We drive from NYC, it is a lovely drive, the only traffic we ever hit is near Lake George. We usually stop right after that and have a bite of lunch, the trip takes us about 6 hours. <BR>I recommend three restaurants for dinner,<BR>Toque-French, on rue St Denis<BR>Cafe Ferraire,(spelled it wrong again!) rue Peel<BR>Le Petit Extra, rue Ontario<BR>Have a great time, whatever you choose, Montreal is such a great city!<BR>Kate
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 07:19 AM
BAK

Various hotels and various nine year old girls have different attitudes toward each other.<BR><BR>Depending on how quiet and calm or wild and excited the kid is whould have some bearing on the hotel, I suggest.<BR><BR>I'd probably skip Loew's with my eight year old boy, for instance.<BR><BR>If it was me, it would be the Hilton Bonaventure, which has a combo indoor and outdoor pool, is quiet and semi-formal but still very welcoming, well-located, and close to lots of interesting places to visit.<BR><BR>It's on top of an office and building and exhibition hall, next door to the railroad station, which has lots of excellent fast food places. There's a metro station under the hotel, and it's a short walk to Old Montreal.<BR><BR>There's a huge parking garage; my wife used to park there everyday usding a monthly pass, and we parked there on weekends when we wanted to explore Montreal, partly because of the pass and partly because it was very convenient.<BR><BR>Lots of stores underground near the hotel and the station, too.<BR><BR>The Delta's pool is on the wrong side of the hotel, and gets into shadow in the afternoons. Don't know much about other pools.<BR><BR>BAK<BR><BR>
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 07:19 AM

Dear Iza,<BR><BR> The reason I suggested Cantlie(not my personal choice)is because of the &quot;pool&quot; and the location. As I mentioned the Sofitel is very new and &quot;very&quot; nice-best location plus free passes for the use of a pool-why not have it all! I would not stay at the Omni although again the location is really good, the Vogue is fine but not my first choice. As Jack said the Le Germain is fine but I still prefer the Sofitel. The Hilton Bonaventure although really ok is a bit out so I would not choose that.<BR> If you decide on Old Montreal but again I will put in my 2 cents(I would not stay there)then the list I gave you is top notch as well as what Jack recommends-but cross off the auberge. Let me know if you want to run by a few other things.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:07 AM
Iza
Original Poster

Again, thanks for all the great responses and recommendations. Our 9 year old is quiet, well behaved and well travelled, that's why I wouldn't hesitate to take her into any of the hotels I mentioned.<BR><BR>It looks like we can get a decent price at Sofitel for the weekend we want (CAD 280 per night). I hope the Sofitel is as great as it looks on the website. For comparison purposes, I travel to Phila quite often and stay either at the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton there, or in NY I stay at the Omni Berkshire. Is the Sofitel as nice as those?<BR><BR>I am really excited about this trip.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 09:31 AM

<BR>I like the Intercontinental for its location and subdued class. The pool is small, and some people use it more as a lap pool, but it often isn't crowded, so it might be okay for your daughter. <BR><BR>As for the Sofitel, there is a lengthy review of this hotel from January. Do a search on &quot;Sofitel&quot; and it will come up. Have fun.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 10:11 AM
Iza
Original Poster

I read the description of Sofitel posted here and it sounds like a great place.<BR><BR>Does anyone know what downtown Montreal hotels come up in the 4* category on Priceline, and 4* and 4.5* on Hotwire?
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:06 PM

Dear Iza,<BR><BR> Try &amp; see if you can get a weekend special if possible-it(Sofitel) is a &quot; really nice&quot;, new, &amp; modern hotel. You will enjoy the accessibility to everything.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:43 PM

We stayed at the Sofitel over New Year's. It is brand new, very slick and modern. Wonderful in every way (especially nice bathrooms). Service is friendly and just terrific. Overnight valet parking was quite reasonable. Location on Sherbrooke is excellent. You can walk to the Musee des Beaux Arts in one direction and the McCord Museum of Canadian History (your daughter will love this one) in the other. There's a metro station RIGHT around the corner. <BR><BR>For a wonderful &quot;French Restaurant&quot;, especially for your daughter, I highly recommend Thursdays (the Bistro). It's around the corner from the Sofitel on Crescent between Maissoneuve and St-Catherine. Especially nice is Sunday Brunch. Call NOW and reserve a table on the outdoor deck. (There's a magician for the kids...) Menu is extensive, prices reasonable, amazing food. Gorgeous dining rooms and nice views of Crescent from that deck. A Sunday Brunch not to be missed!<BR><BR>Also highly recommend the Biodome (not to be confused with the Biosphere) easily reached by metro. It's worth the trip for the Puffins alone. While there, a trip up the Olympic Tower is great fun.<BR><BR>If you go to Vieux Montreal during the day, be sure to find Jardin Nelson (at the foot of place Jacques Cartier, on the left looking toward the waterfront. Lovely garden setting, extensive menu of sandwiches, crepes, etc. Live music almost all the time (all types, always great).<BR><BR>For great &quot;window shopping&quot;, take the metro to Sherbrooke and walk northwest on St-Denis. Wonderful outdoor cafes along the way as well. <BR> <BR>
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 09:36 PM

Dear DJKBooks &amp; Iza,<BR><BR> That's why I recommended the Sofitel-I'm so glad you enjoyed it-I knew it was nice and the service is excellent;what's more the location is stupendous. If you need a list of restaurants I will be pleased to fill in others as well.