HALIFAX HOTEL IDEAS

Search

HALIFAX HOTEL IDEAS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HALIFAX HOTEL IDEAS

Will be staying overnight in Halifax in June and was looking for hotel (or B&B) suggestions
offering good value and proximity to airport.

Thanks in advance !!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:59 AM

Please check this website:
http://www.hiaa.ca/default.asp?mn=70...&search=33
It lists all accommodation near Halifax Airport. I have not stayed at any of them but the Hilton Garden Inn is brand new.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 07:37 AM

We stayed at Brook Haven B&B near the Halifax Airpot (in Fall River) a couple of years ago and it was reasonably priced and nice. It is only 10 minutes from the airport, but has no airport noise and offers an airport shuttle. The B&B's website is http://www.bbcanada.com/brookhaven and the e-mail address is [email protected]. Judy Nielsen is the proprietor. They have several rooms priced from $80 to $90 CDN -- some have ensuite baths and others share a hall bath. All rooms include breakfast. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 03:14 AM

The airport is basically in the middle of no where so the only amenities would be what the hotel offers. A cab ride is only 20-30 minutes from the city or you can grab a shuttle from any of the major hotels.

Radisson Suites, Hotel Halifax, Barrington Inn or any of the downtown hotels would be suitable.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:20 AM

I agree with the above poster -- take a cab into town and enjoy an evening stroll. There are plenty of B and B options listed on the internet... enjoy.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:52 PM

I would check out "Inn on the Lake", for proximity to the airport and quaint, small hotel charm (also great dining and they even have a small beach on the premises).

In the downtown area, check out the Prince George Hotel, in the heart of the city and always a nice experience for a "big" hotel.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Last time I stayed in Halifax I was at the Westin Nova Scotian and I got a rock-bottom price on Priceline.com.

Why do you want to stay out in the toolies when Halifax is so full of zest?

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Nothing against the Halifax zest, merely playing it safe as a stranger-in-town in order to get to the airport
(in rental car) for a mid-morning flight. I am not opposed to considering places that are within reasonable distance to airport but just figured that it would be wise to stay as close as possible if those choices were decent. (Didn't realize the airport was as secluded as described). Can anyone offer feedback on Blue Forest Lane B&B? It seems nice "on paper" even though it is a ways from the airport.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:26 PM

For what it may be worth, I took a TAXI from an Historic Properties hotel location to the airport and although the airport is definitely out of town it was easily reached. Traffic was what I would consider minimal at the very worst.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 01:19 AM

If you want to stay close to the airport try the new Hilton.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 09:35 AM

I have not heard of the Blue Forest Lane B&B but I checked the web site and it looks lovely. The location is closer to City of Halifax than the airport. Not having been to that area in many years, I am wondering if it would be too remote as it is in a country setting. Be interested in knowing if any Haligonians have seen it.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:17 PM

It looks from the map it is located off the Kearney Lake Road which would be in close proximity to the highway as well as Bayers Lake Park (lots of big box stores, etc.). Closer to the airport than downtown but not by much.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the lodging feedback thus far. Can anyone offer feedback on
Arbor Vista B&B in Dartmouth on Lake Charles? It is new (perhaps very new)and seems to be located reasonably close to both downtown and the airport.
(Can anyone suggest a site where I can find a user-friendly map of the Halifax area?)
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:30 AM

This reply may be a little late; but I should mention there are several B&B's that are close to the airport and one which you may want to check out. Heritage Hideaway B&B is only 15 min. from the airport and the same time to downtown Halifax.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 01:54 AM

Well, Lake Charles Drive is not far from what used to be the Rotary in Dartmouth. You can access the airport the next morning by continuing out the Waverley Road to the main highway. Still looking at 15 minutes to the airport but you would be going in the different direction of traffic.

The only upside to staying at this location may be the close proximity to Shubie Park if you enjoy to walk. There is a small interpretation site there as well for the Shubie Canal which in the 1800's connected Halifax Harbour with the Bay of Fundy through an intricate 115 km course of lakes and locks.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

A hearty "Thanks" to all suggestions thrown my way. I am leaning towards "taking our chances" and postponing our lodging decision until we actually arrive in Halifax, personally checking out some places, thus allowing my wife to pick the spot. Knowing her, she'll probably opt to stay as close to the airport as possible.