Driving in Montreal & Quebec City

Feb 19th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Driving in Montreal & Quebec City

I'm an American and have the following question: Is driving in Montreal & Quebec City like driving in London? Meaning, is traffic movement reversed, so that traffic moves in the opposite direction on streets and highways when compared to the USA?
Feb 19th, 2013, 05:03 AM

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but driving in Montreal and Quebec City is exactly like driving in any US city. The only unusual rule I am aware of is no right on red in Montreal.
Feb 19th, 2013, 07:24 AM

Of course Canadians, even the Quebecois, drive on the right side of the road like you. What you may find difficult are the narrow streets in the older sections with parking restrictions and sometimes one-way. Note that street parking meters in Montreal are being replaced by a ticket-vending system which is strictly enforced. Also, regarding turns at a traffic light, some of the intersections flash a green arrow, which means advance straight but no right turn until a full green light is illuminated. Local drivers will be eager to help you by blasting their horns.
Feb 19th, 2013, 07:36 AM

I've never seen a flashing arrow in Quebec (solid arrows are common, not flashing) but there are flashing green lights, which means everybody else has a red so you can turn left (just watch for pedestrians).
Feb 20th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for you answers!