Montreal and QC in 5 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I plan to take a trip at Thanksgiving. I'm thinking of leaving Thursday evening for Quebec City, spending that night and the next two in QC, then taking the train to Montreal and spending the next two nights there before heading home on Tuesday. Is two days per town too little to really enjoy either? If you think this plan is too ambitious, which city would you pick for the whole trip?

Thanks.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 05:32 PM

I would pick Montreal for the whole trip. Save QC for the summer.
2 days is fine for QC but it would only frustrate you to be in Montreal such a short time.
We were in Montreal at the beginning of November a year ago and it snowed, so be prepared.
I think it would be great to spend Thanksgiving there, where will you be coming from?
We drove up from NYC.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:38 PM

Well, if you really want to see Quebec City, you should probably spend a day or two there, then head to Montreal.

Montreal is larger, with much more to see and do there.

While I would recommend Montreal for the whole trip, others would vehemently recommend Quebec City. We took a day trip to Quebec City on our first trip to Montreal, and that was plenty for us. We've visited Montreal a dozen or more times since, with no urge to return to Quebec City. But, others would tell you just the opposite. It all turns on what you find more applealing.

Some time in each will give you an idea of how to plan your next excursion(s), though.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 11:48 PM

Like Scarlett says, where are you coming from? For most residents of N. America, it's closer to get to Montreal than Quebec City, so you'll save time to get to Montreal first, and then take an overnight trip to Quebec City by train; not the another way around.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

We'll be flying in from Newark airport, so it's only an hour or so flight to either city. We just don't feel like driving. It's beginning to sound like Montreal is the best bet.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:37 AM

I am among those who would recommend your original plan. Quebec City was our favorite because of its quaint streets, relaxed atmosphere, Montmorency Falls, and Isle d'Orleans, but two days is probably enough to see everything. While I enjoyed Montreal, it is like a small, French NYC, and the faster pace can begin to wear you down after awhile. Montreal offers shopping, fine dining, and nighlife, while Quebec offers abundant charm and a slower pace. It does depend on what you want your vacation to look like.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:45 AM

We just got back from QC yesterday from our honeymoon. We both loved the city.
Having never been to Montreal I can't give you a comparison, but QC had great food, lots of shops, and a beautiful
quaint city, full of history. If you go there, be sure to take a walking tour
to get the true feel and history of the city.
Have fun.
Kristen
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:01 PM

Quebec City will be COLD in November (as will Mtl)..However so much of QC charm is the opportunity to stroll and meander..this is not a great time to do it (and if you wish to do it in the cold weather wait for feb. and do carnival). In Montreal weather is less of an issue as many more "indoor" things to do.