Search

Road detours in montreal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road detours in montreal

Hello,
I will be driving up from NJ tomorrow and our destination is the Le Saint Sulpice
in Old Montreal. I read some where about a festival this weekend and was wondering if there would be any road diversions/detours?
My route is Highway 10 across the St lawrence, exit onto Rue Notre Dame and then right onto Rue St-Sulpice (online maps rule!).
Thanks!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 01:30 PM

That is the route we take. My guess is that the area you will be going to will be OK unless the festival is in the Vieux Port.
Have a great time, please post a report?
I miss Montreal
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM

*ps* take the Champlain Bridge
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 02:12 PM

On our way up from NY, we usally make a pit stop at the tourism office along the highway, not far past the border crossing. It's well marked, you can't miss it.

They give great, specific directions for getting to hotels in town, and it's amazing to see them read upside-down as they draw the route on the map so you can read along. I'm sure they would be able to advise if there are any restrictions along your route tomorrow.

Have a good drive, and enjoy Montreal - wish I was going!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 04:30 PM

It's gay pride weekend; no street closings except sunday for the parade along Rene Levesque blvd.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 04:05 AM

I forgot the Francopholies; streets around Place des Arts are closed; too late for vwjet, but usually road detours are well identified for diverting traffic.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:58 PM

Too late to help vwjet, but as a heads up to others, there's MAJOR construction on Sherbrooke St (between McGill University and the Fine Art museum. A real mess.

The FrancoFolies festival has quite a few streets blocked off, slightly different ones from last year. Also, in anticipation of the Gay Pride parade, parking regulations were changed on a long stretch of Rene-Levesque at least a day in advance.

One last traffic 'alert' that I wasn't aware of--when coming in to Montreal and noticing the huge traffic on the Pont Champlain, I got the brilliant idea to take the Pont Victoria. Well, apparently there are times it is closed to incoming traffic (Mon-Friday most of the day?) but the signs indicating that (in French only) were not posted near the turnoff from one bridge to the other so I ended up making some crazy u-turns to get to the Cartier bridge.
All's well that ends well...