Montreal and Quebec City

Apr 11th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Montreal and Quebec City

This is our first time to Canada...we are flying into Montreal and have 4nts/5 days and would like to visit Quebec city also. recommendation on how much time should we spend in each place?
Apr 11th, 2018, 07:27 PM

While I can appreciate the impulse to go to Quebec City, I think someone visiting Canada for the first time, and for just five days, would do best to just stay in Montreal.

QC is a fine place, and I even like driving along the river between QC and Montreal, but even 2 days spent in QC leaves you with 2 less for Montreal.

Either a longer “1st trip to Canada” OR a 2nd or 4th trip there is most sensible for QC.
Apr 12th, 2018, 07:15 AM

The trip from Montreal to Quebec will cost you at least a half-day in time each way, between the actual travel, finding and departing hotels, packing and unpacking, all stressful. Montreal has more than enough enjoyment for your short vacation.
Apr 15th, 2018, 09:55 AM

If this is going to be your only trip to this area, i would try and do an overnight in Quebec City. Granted you could easily spend the whole time in Montreal, but QC is totally unique in this side of the Atlantic. Since QC is much smaller than Montreal, one night would suffice with your constraints. If you are driving, it's an easy (and somewhat boring) 3 hour drive between cities.
Apr 15th, 2018, 10:00 PM

I will admit that QC IS very unique... esp. Old Quebec

And the so-called "boring drive" isn't as boring if you get off of the main highway and instead travel the slow road that goes through all of the riverside towns on the north side of the St. Lawrence. It is impressive what beautiful churches so many of them have.

It would be more sensible to somehow add 2 days to your trip, and spend 2 days in QC than it would to make a round-trip there during 5 days in the province.

Montreal just has so much, that you should indulge yourselves without having to cut it short.

Search this Thread