Search

August vacation in Nova Scotia or ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:44 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August vacation in Nova Scotia or ?

We've been spending the last two weeks of August on the Outerbanks of North Carolina for many years but are thinking of moving our vacation north to the Maritimes in 2006. I was thinking of the area around Lunenburg and I've seen pics of some beautiful houses there but I'm concerned about the beaches, water temperature and weather. We've been spoiled by having a cottage right on the white sandy beach, hot days (90's) but with cool breezes off the ocean, and water warm enough to swim in for long periods of time. I'm the one who's suggesting the change to our group of three families so I'd hate to take them someplace where it's too cool and the ocean is cold. Can anyone give me some information about the Lunenburg area or suggest someplace else that might be suitable?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Nova Scotia is one of the most beutiful places you'll ever visit but DO NOT plan a beach vacation there. Weather in August will be nice, typically around 80, but the water is very deep and therefore always cold even in summer.

Best bet for sandy beaches in eastern Canada is Prince Edward Island but water will still be uncomfortably cold if you're used to Outer Banks.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Hi hdm,

I'd like to make a comment and hope I don't come across sounding really snide, because I don't mean to. I think if warm water, and hot, sandy beaches are what you are after, you should keep going to the OB. It would be a shame if you went somewhere north and kept saying "but the Outerbank beaches are better!". I've been to a lot of beaches on the Atlantic coast, from the OB up to Maine, and well, I don't think anyplace really compares. That's not to say there aren't some great beaches in the NorthEast, there are, but you are right. You are spoiled, and you won't find anything quite like that.

So if you decide to come to the Maritimes, do it for different reasons. Do it for scenery, and history, a slightly different culture, and to get away from the traffic, and for cool evening breezes, and whale watching, and eating lobsters. Don't do it for long hot days on the beach.

That said, I'm going to the beachon PEI in a couple of weeks, and I'll let you know how it compares when I get back. From everything I've read, the water off Nova Scotia is cold like Maine, much too cold for swimming. Although I think there are some nice warmer beaches on the North side on the Northumberland straight.

But because of the gulf stream, banking off Greenland, the water off PEI is supposed to be the warmest north of Virginia. And the beaches broad and sandy.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:32 PM
hdm
Original Poster

Raleigh_NC,
Thanks for that info. I assume you're familiar with the Outerbanks so you'd know what I mean and I'll take your water temperature advice seriously.

And, China_Cat, no you're not coming across as snide. I understand what you're saying. It's a real problem -- I'm the one in the group who's a little bored (after 12 years of OBX vacations) with that location and I'm the one who's suggesting the move. So I'm posting this question to avoid the "Outerbanks beaches are better" comments being directed at ME by a bunch of blue-lipped, shivering friends huddled in beach towels. I'd love the change and if it were just me, I wouldn't hesitate to go to NS, but I think the rest of the group will miss the OBX temps and beach so I'm trying to do some internet legwork before I present the idea to them. The OBX of NC are great, it's just that it's a two-drive each way for us (and therefore cuts two days off our vacation time) and also I'm beginning to feel like we've already done everything there is to do there.

"But because of the gulf stream, banking off Greenland, the water off PEI is supposed to be the warmest north of Virginia. And the beaches broad and sandy." I've heard this too, but where? I'll look forward to your trip report.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:20 PM

hdm:
I can sympathize with your plight! We are a family that easily gets stuck in going to the same places every year. We've been going to OB and the Adirondacks for too many years to count. However, lately we've tried other things (went to Europe this year) and it's good. We are still tempted to go back to our safe spots (Adirondacks, OB, Mont Tremblant in the winter) but if you can jetison some of your friends try something new! At least your vacation pictures will look different!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:38 AM

Here are some quotes from other travelers that I found on this site after doing a search for "PEI beaches": "The PEI beaches are amazing....sand dunes, lobster suppers, biking, hiking, golf nearby. Stay @ Shaw's Hotel on Brackley Beach." "The Cavendish area beaches are most popular - although busy, I still enjoy them!" "PEI has an awsome biking trail system and a goodly number of bike rental shops scattered over the island. PEI boasts the oldest operating community theatre in the Maritimes, located in quaint Victory-By-The-Sea, only a few kilometers from the Confederacion Bridge. We stayed the night in Summerside, about 20 minutes away, and attended an evening performance, having dinner at the small restaurant across the street. As for Summerside, it has the College of Pipng which gives free afternoon summer concerts -great introduction to celtic-related piping and dance." "The entire eastern side of PEI is very quaint and nice white sandy beaches." "I also hear the Isles de Madelline (I'm not sure if thats the name) are beautiful. A ferry ride to the Northeastern point of PEI. Very Quaint, European Feel. These Islands are part of Quebec and totally French Speaking." Hopefully, these quotes will give you an idea of what the island is like and where you want to stay.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Here is the link for Shaw's Hotel at Brackley Beach, which has some good photos: http://www.shawshotel.ca/
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:16 AM

PEI is beautiful and so are its beaches. But if you convince your friends to go on the basis of warm water, they will hate you.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM
hdm
Original Poster

In my heart of hearts, Raleigh, I know what you say is true. I love the Martimes myself but I think I'm going to have to give up on this idea for the group. In an effort to at least cut some driving time off this vacation, I've looked at the New Jersey shore but, boy, is it expensive! We'd have to pay at least double for the same size house. I think for now, at least, I'll stick with the OBX. Thanks, everyone, for your help, though.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:49 AM

hdm,
I'll try to offer a little help here too. I went to Nova Scotia and PEI when I was a teenager about 6 years ago, so maybe I'll have a different perspective. Nova Scotia had to be one of my favorites of anywhere I've ever been. The natural beauty is amazing and I would recommend it to anyone. There is so much to do that not being on the beach doesn't really matter. PEI was also nice too. We stayed in Cavendish and visited a public beach while we were there. While it was nice to have a beach day, it was nothing like anywhere else I had been too. The beach was almost red and pretty rocky, and the water was very cold compared to all the US Atlantic beaches I had been too. I would definitely recommend a visit Nova Scotia, but don't plan it as a beach vacation. It would be a completely different trip than OBX.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 11:40 AM

Beaches on our "south - shore" ( the strait side ) are typically of red sand , red cliffs , definitely NOT all of them are rocky . The "north - shore" is typically white-beige sand with dunes , the water being slightly cooler depending on the current .... Basin Head Beach which is past Souris in the area we call "down east " , is a very pretty beach , and even though it is actually on the south shore , it is so close to the tip of the island that the white sand of the north wraps around . ( the sand also sings here !!! )
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 07:07 PM
hdm
Original Poster

Hi y'all,
This is just an update. Well, we did decide on Nova Scotia for August 06. The decision was helped along by the fact that our regular cottage in North Carolina is now with a new management company and has gone up in price quite a bit. So we're all reconciled to the fact that this won't be a beach/swimming sort of holiday but the house we hope to be renting comes with kayaks so maybe that will keep the young people happy. I'm hoping there will be stuff for them to do in town in the evenings (they're in their early 20's).We'll be near Lunenburg and we're looking forward to exploring the local towns, eating great food, checking out the craft shops, etc. The birders are going to be pretty happy and maybe we'll even do some whale watching. I'm really looking forward to it and I'm sure I'll get some great info from this board before we go.

Thanks for all your help so far.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 05:50 AM

We love updates! Have fun.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:15 AM
ltt

in northern nova scotia, around the pictou area, there was a GREAT beach at a provincial camp ground. the whole area was really enjoyable and the beach and water were great. if you are going to nova scotia, you need to take some time in cape breton. there are some nice beaches there but the water is not too warm but definitly worth a visit.
as mentioned, there are great beaches with warm beaches around the north rustico/cavendish area of pei and also around shediac area and Kouchibouguac National Park of Canada in new brunswick.
try something different. you can always go back to NC next year.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:28 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Thanks, ltt,
We're hoping to complete the rental of our cottage today and we'll be staying for two weeks in the Mahone Bay area. I hope we'll get a chance to explore a bit but it will only be day trips and only occasional ones at that. This isn't really a 'touring' type of vacation and we'll pretty much stay put for the whole two weeks. My husband and I have driven around the Atlantic provinces in the past and loved it. That was why I suggested NS as a group vacation. I've cottaged with these friends for years and we spend large chunks of time sitting by the water and reading. I'm the one who needs to be up and about so I'll probably see the local towns most often. I'm looking forward to having from now till next August to gather 'things-to-do' info in the Lunenburg area.

I'm going to post a driving question under a different heading so I get the greatest number of responses. Please keep an eye out for it.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Scosher! Haven't been in about 15 years, but went there camping as a single, for my honeymoon, and with husband and son many time, driving from Jersey or Long Island, always taking the ferry, sometimes camping, sometimes doing inns and hotels. Wonderful adventures.

Halifax is not far, and it's a good city. Wharf area, Historic Properties. You'll surely see Lunenberg and Peggy's Cove. I hope you'll devote a day or two to the road around the highlands, and see Pleasant Bay, Meat Cove, Black Brook, Ingonish, oh, I want to go back. Baddeck and the Gaelic college at St. Ann's. Bras D'Or, the lakes on the northeast coast. Canso Causeway. Moose and blueberries and St. Lawrence views from the highlands. It doesn't take long to get anywhere in Nover Scosher, as we affectionately called it in Jerseyese. I can hardly believe I remember all those names and places in my mind's eye after all these years!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM

hdm, would you be willing to divulge the name of the cottage you are renting near Mahone Bay? I had a heck of a time finding a place last summer. Thank you.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:05 PM
hdm
Original Poster

Scotia,
No problem -- we're renting from Robert and Kathy Fish at Cottage Connections. The website is www.stayinnovascotia.com. This is the first time we've done business with them but our friends rented last year and are going to do it again this year. So far, they've been great to deal with.
Good luck.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Thank you. I will look into "Cottage Connections".
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM

I do 'hear' what you are saying about the sitting-around sort of vacation. But oh - to be in NS and not get on up to Cape Breton.....!!! Do give it some thought.