PEI beach advice

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PEI beach advice

We're thinking of spending a week in PEI this summer. We may rent a cottage or house, and are looking for a relaxing place where we can walk on the beach, and swim, and enjoy the view. We don't need activities, and prefer to avoid crowds. A few nice restaurants would be good though. Can anyone suggest which part of the island this sounds like?

Also, a couple of older postings mentioned bugs and jelly fish. Are there particular parts of the season or coasts to avoid? I know jelly fish can come in with the gulf stream here in New England, and it seems to me this happens more frequently in late August. Does anyone know the story, as far as PEI is concerned, or have a specific experience to share?

Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:46 PM

topping...
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:02 PM

Cavendish beach which is just north of Charlottetown is classic PEI beach of red sand. Renting a place near hear would be a great vacation.

However, the view in my mind of PEI is Malpaque Bay - famous for it's oysters which is West of Cavendish beach and north of Summerside is the place I would stay.

There is a small village near by and I the view of the flax fields waving in the wind down to the ocean I can always recall.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Hogtown Jim,

what's the water temp like at these beaches mid summer? I'm from New England, so I understand Atlantic ocean temps, but I've read its not so cold as the coast of Maine or New Hampshire. Is it swimmable, or only for those not faint of heart?
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM
ltt

the water is very swimable in august. i think if i was trying to avoid crowds, i wouldn't rent in cavendish. it's packed with families during the summer.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

the couple websites that I've looked at that offer beach house rentals don't seem to have much to the west of Cavendish, on Malpeque Bay. I'm leaning towards a house on the north east coast, the Bays and Dunes section, I think its called. There are also several nice looking houses in the Hills and Harbors section in the south east. I have to agree, ITT, the area in the middle of the north, Anne's Land, seems to have many small cottage colonies, suitable for families and this is decidedly NOT what I'm after.

If anybody has any other suggestions, or knows any good rental companies or websites, I'd love to hear them.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 02:47 PM
BAK

RE>what's the water temp like at these beaches mid summer?<

There's no comparison with the new England beches. There's sciecne invol;ved, and the Gulf Stream, but PEI water is much, much warmer.

In addition, the slope underwater is very gradual, and this results in lots of little shallow pools when the tide is out, making great places for kids to play in the water without getting too cold.

The same situation applies on the New Brunswick and Nova Scotia side of Northumberland Strait, between NB and PEI, but the other coasts of Nova Scotia are new England-like, temp wise.

BAK
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Anybody else? I'd love to hear what beaches you liked, when you were there, or what beach maybe wasn't as nice, or was very crowded or buggy or whatever.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 07:48 AM

We stayed at Kindred Spirits B and B near Cavendish and really liked it. The McKennas Tea Room nearby offered very nice meals.
We also stayed at the Inn at Bay Fortune, a fabulous place with an unbelievable restaurant.
Enjoy PEI, it is very beautiful and the folks there are welcoming and generous.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Ummmm.... Cavendish Beach is NOT actually a classic beach with red sand , it is on the north shore and has white/beige sand " but " with red cliffs in some places . Typically the south shore has the red sand and tide pools , except at the very eastern end where the white sand wraps around the island for a few clicks .... Generally the jelly fish are in the latter part of july , maybe early August,and bugs would be at their worst in June . Friends of the family own Kindred Spirtits , actually the its minister officiated who almost everyone in my family
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Ummmm.... Cavendish Beach is NOT actually a classic beach with red sand , it is on the north shore and has white/beige sand " but " with red cliffs in some places . Typically the south shore has the red sand and tide pools , except at the very eastern end where the white sand wraps around the island for a few clicks .... Generally the jelly fish are in the latter part of july , maybe early August,and bugs would be at their worst in June . Friends of the family own Kindred Spirtits , actually its the minister who officiated at almost every wedding in my family . The Inn at Bay Fortune " down east " would be a super choice ... I will call home and ask , I am an Islander by the way !
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

faithie,
thanks, that info about the jellyfish is just what I was looking for. One of my travel books said there would be less later in the summer. I'm not thinking the 2nd or 3rd week of August might be the best time to go.

the Inn at Bay Fortune looks lovely, but we are looking for a house rental for a week, not an inn. the more I read, the more I like the area in the northeast, Bays & Dunes. What are drive times like on the island? For example, how long a drive from Souris to Charlottetown?
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Is Bays and Dunes the name of an Inn or a house ? I have never heard of it ...??
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Souris to Charlottetown is a little over 1 hour . If you are an " Islander " you call this area " Down east " !!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:28 PM

Ahhhh...... New terminology with P.E.I. tourism !!!! I get it now , beautiful area ... lol , Faith .
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 03:28 PM

I am totally against renting a cottage in Cavendish. Very touristy, and crowded. PEI National park is a big rip off, and the Jelly fish swarming onto the land are ridiculous. Cavendish is nice to spend a half day, and get your fill of Anne of Green Gables.

I would sugest spending time on the east coast of the island. It is very peaceful and beautiful, and secluded are found everywhere.

The water temps are not that bad. The water off the coast is warmer than Maine, I would say about 65-70 degrees.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

faithie,
I didn't know the names of the 6 sections of PEI were recent. The tourist literature and websites are full of it. So Bays & Dune's is the northeast tip of the island.

Pethead, when were you there, that there were jellyfish swarming on the beaches?
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM

I only found swarms of jellyfish in the Cacendish area, on the north side of the island. On the east side however, I hardly saw jellyfish, and not to mention people.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:27 AM

Yes , this north east area is beautiful , the Inn at Bay Fortune is in a very beautiful area . I actually do not know how "new" the terminology is , I guess being an Islander I do not pay as much attention ! There is no actual "east -coast" , an eastern end I guess ! The cavendish area is indeed touristy , but those "swarms" of jellyfish could be anywhere , not just Cavendish .... Also , along this stretch there are plenty of quieter beaches . You need to pay to get into the National Park anywhere on the island , Brackley , Cavendish , Dalvay ..... Cheaper to buy a family pass than to pay each time you enter ...I believe a summer pass is around $ 60.00 , but if you purchase before a certain date it is around $ 35.00 . Perhaps you could buy this beforehand on-line ??
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 09:36 AM
wow

Faithie: B/c you are an Islander, maybe you can help us out here. I have been reading about an area called Panmure Island. We are considering renting something in that area this summer. What is the beach like in that area? Where is Panmure Island located? West side? Where can I get a PEI Tourism Guide (similar to Nova Scotia's "Doers" & Dreamers' Guide)? Do you have a PEI Tourism website that you cld give me?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -