Nova Scotia in Late August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in NYC, and are looking for a mellow time away in nice place, where we can enjoy the outdoors.

We are looking to take a 7-9 day trip in late August through the first week in September to Nova Scotia.

Is that too long? How is the weather? I am concerned it'll be too cold for a summer trip, 50 degrees or so.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
BAK

Seems to me the days will be a lot warmer than that. Nights... maybe.

Late August in mainland Nova Scotia is usually the best part of the year. Probably in CApe Breton, too.

Watr in NS is always too cold for swimming -- just as bad as Maine. Prince Edward Island, and the New Brunswicj coast near Shediac, ont he other hand, have nice August swimming beaches.

BAK
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 12:45 AM

Nova Scotia's Northumberland Strait has warm water and pleasant swimming temps. Check out Pictou County's beautiful white sand beaches - Caribou, Melmerby, Big Island. I think your choice of dates is great - weather is usually perfect and warm enough to enjoy! School starts that first week of September so it is a little quieter on the roads. If you want tranquil, do check out Pictou Co. for a couple of days. Beaches, kayak, hiking, do a day trip up the Sunrise Trail. Baddeck, Cape Breton, is also a great anchor - I promise you will want to return!
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM

We were there the last week of August 2007 and it was much warmer than we expected!! I needed more shorts and tee shirts than I had brought and very rarely -if at all -needed jackets or sweaters. Personally, I'm not going in the water up there regardless of the month! I returned early November for several days and was surprised by how mild it was even then.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Hi,
This is a great time to visit NS. I would suggest that you look for a place on the Sunrise Trail. That runs from Amherst through Pictou.(4 hours from the Maine border) The waters of the Northumberland strait are still quite warm ( my wife is an avid swimmer - so is the dog) We have had several friends stay in Malagash at a cottage called heron shoal. It is rustic, well equipped, private and on the
ocean. I am sure you would find mellow. Try www.heronshoal.com
Have a great trip, Dancove
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM

I'm planning on being in Nova Scotia during that time (12 nights). According to the weather service, the average temp at that time of year is in the 70's with some days hitting the low to mid 80's.

Some of the areas I'm hitting:

Brier Island/Tiverton - whale watching, Sandy Beach, Balancing Rock, hiking, wildlife

Lunenburg - The Ovens (sea caves accessible via raft tours, hiking trail leading to a couple of the caves)

Halifax - a bit of culture with museums, historical, etc.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 08:28 AM

What??? no Cabot Trail??? Louisburg? These are highlights!
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Irecommend - I did that purposely. When I started planning my trip, I wrote down all the places I wanted to see throughout Nova Scotia, then I started figuring out how to manage it in 12 days. I couldn't - there was too much to see.

So, I broke it out into two separate trips. This first trip is the southern areas (east and west coastline), the next trip will be the northern areas.

I do this a lot for my Canada trips. I don't worry about seeing it all in one trip because I know I'll come back to see the rest another time. And as long as the economy is the way it is, I'll be doing Canada trips for the next several years because it's still affordable.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM

I agree, ToedToes....we did Halifax, Lunenburg (don't miss the sea cave tour on a zodiac at The Ovens), Brier Island (fabulous whale watching & birding), Wolfville LAST summer and will tackle Cape Breton Island this summer.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:28 AM

I love Nova Scotia and 3 of 5 vacations there have been in the last weeks of August through Labour Day. Maybe we've been lucky, but it's always been warm t-shirt and shorts type weather for the most part (with the odd wet or cooler day or evening).

I would say 7 to 9 days is definitely not too long, in fact is probably a minimum to do some of both exploring and relaxing. For "outdoors" enjoyment, Cape Breton Island is spectacular - the Cabot Trail through Cape Breton National Park. There are lots of places to stay in the park - most centred around Cheticamp, Ingonish or Baddeck. I like the Ingonish area, but it's a matter of specific tastes and opinions. You can visit the other places as day-trips. My second favourite region is the Lighthouse Route southwest of Halifax. Quaint fishing villages and lots of gorgeous beaches for strolling - some are "hidden gems" that are often practically deserted. But, as stated, water is cold (although a few shallower ones may warm up enough for dip when the tide comes in over sun-warmed sand). Also - I have experienced the water off the Cape Breton beaches to be swimmable in late August. I've read that this phenomena of colder water in the south of the province is related to specific ocean currents.

Other nice and interesting parts of NS include Brier Island, Annapolis area, the Parrsoboro area and Halifax itself - which is a really nice small city with a vibrant downtown harborfront district and can be used as a base for day-trips to some of the lighthouse route destinations (e.g. Lunenburg).

So, you really can't enjoy all these spots in a 7 to 9 day trip. You'll have to pick and choose. My favourites above will likely differ from others, but it depends on exactly what you visualize doing.

Go to the Nova Scotia Tourism site and order the Doers and Dreamers Guide which has information on pretty well every sight, attraction and accommodation in the province (although your time is a little tight for snail mail - but there should also be lots of info and links on their website).
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM

I am also from NYC and found Nova Scotia so beautiful that I bought a house. I go up at any opportunity I have both winter and summer! Be careful you may find the noise and crowds in NYC a little harder to deal with after you experience NS, and this from a proud born & bred New Yorker!
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM

As for people travelling to Cape Breton this weekend Aug 22,23, and the 24th It is going to be a great one with sun and warm temps. 25-28 all weekend. That translates to 82-88.