Nova Scotia for 4 days next summer

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Mary

Nova Scotia for 4 days next summer

Help. I need some advice on where to start. Me and a group of friends want to eat lobster/seafood and enjoy Nova Scotia and all it has to offer in just a few short days. Any suggestions on a specific area to keep in mind, time of year to go, where to eat, B&B's to consider?

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:45 AM
M.

Mary,
Your first step should be to do a search on Fodors. You'll get LOTS of information.
Come back with any unanswered, specific questions.
Offhand, Cape Breton is easily the most dramatic area of the province, with summer months your best bet weatherwise.
Enjoy lovely Nova Scotia!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Tanya

What are your ages? Four days isn't a lot of time. What gateway are you entering the province? For the time of year, July and August are the best times for beaches and warmer weather. September is a good month but not for beaches. Early October the fall foilage is beautiful.

I agree with the previous post that Cape Breton is dramatic but you really need 3 days alone for the Island.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Jn

Pretty hard to experience everything NS has to offer in just 4 days. Many different things to explore.

-I agree with the other posters- Cape Breton definitely needs a few days at least.

-As for times to go, it depends on what you want to see. The most tourists are usually around in July/August- so if you want to avoid crowds come in October- the best time of year for fall foilage (and Celtic Colours is on throughout Cape Breton in October as well). However, if you want to do any sort of guided tours, the summer would probably be your best bet.

My advice would be to go to www.novascotia.com and ordering a (free) vacation planner's guide. It's very detailed and would probably tell you all you need to know. There's lots of information just on the site alone as well.

I live in Halifax so I can try to answer any questions you may have about the city if you have any questions about it.

-J.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Mary

Thanx for the responses so far.

The situation is that a girlfriend of mine is getting married next year and REALLY wants to go away to enjoy some great seafood in the east coast for a Shower-sort-of-thing. We will be flying into Halifax i believe, rent a car and hookup at a bed and breakfast. I am hoping the four days will include a little hiking (maybe a half day), touring the coastline (driving and hiking), walking through downtown Halifax (to enjoy some of the sites/shops)....and hopefully enjoy some great lobster and seafood.

Any further advice you can give me? In the meantime i will peruse through the fodor's website.

Thanks

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Susan

We made our first trip to Nova Scotia in September - wonderful destination! We didn't see Cape Breton. I know it's supposed to be great, but we had time limitations. I think if I only had 4 nights, I'd spend a couple of nights in Halifax and a couple of nights in Lunenburg. The actual distance between the 2 isn't that much, but we took the old highway and spent the better part of the day getting to Lunenburg, stopping in Peggy's Cove and Chester on the way. (We went back to Mahone Bay the next day.) There are some charming shops, nice restaurants, etc. in Lunenburg and we were really happy with our B&B there.

We also went to Digby and Wolfville - nice places, but I preferred Lunenburg - very picturesque. It's a World Heritage Site.

I also really liked Halifax. It's not a very big city, quite manageable.

We weren't there during lobster season - I think it's earlier in the year. But we had wonderful seafood, especially scallops and salmon.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:20 AM
Tanya

Flying into Halifax I would definitely do Halifax for 2 days. The nightlife is great. If you are here on a Saturday afternoon don't miss My FAther's mustache. Great zydeco music!

If you want an authentic lobster dinner, I would take a trip to Wolfville (college town very charming) and visit Hall's Harbour which offers lobster dinner right on the wharf. You choose your lobster and they cook it and serve it at picnic tables with lots of napkins and a bib of course! From Wolfville you can also drive across to Lunenburg and spend an afternoon there!

Great Inn's in Wolfville - try Blomidon - you won't be disappointed!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 02:47 PM
steve

I recommend Bruce Fulton's Bed and Breakfast in Middle Musquodoboit. It is in a beautiful village north on Halifax, away from the hustle and bustle. Great service, great breakfasts and a peaceful getaway for perhaps one or two nights. From there spend 2 nights in Halifax and 1 night either Wolfville or New Glasgow.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Karen

I highly recommend The Pebble B&B in Halifax (thepebble.ca). Very tastefully decorated, great hospitallity!