Nova Scotia - just back from 14 days

Aug 21st, 2003, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Nova Scotia - just back from 14 days

I loved Nova Scotia! The people were so incredibly friendly and relaxed. We flew into Halifax, traveled to Lunenburg, then across to Digby, and on to Pictou, finally concluding the trip with Cape Breton - using Baddeck as our base while on Breton. In Halifax, I highly recommend the Waverly Inn. Also, I highly recommend this website: http://www.destination-ns.com ... it is a wonderful planning tool. I would plan on at least 3 full days for Cape Breton - even w/out hiking any trails. And Louisbourg Fortress was wonderful. All places we'd stayed were great - with the exception of The Consultate Inn in Pictou. Unpleasant hostess. Don't miss the Fisheries Museum in Lunenburg! Have a great time!
Aug 21st, 2003, 02:09 PM
KT

Thanks for posting. I'll be staying at the Waverley Inn in September, so I was glad to hear that you liked it.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:24 AM

Great to hear you enjoyed your trip to NS, travel_lover! We are going there in October and will follow basically the same route. Can you share some more info on where you stayed and where you ate? Places you recommend and not recommend?

Thanks!
Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:58 AM

Travel lover: We too will be flying into Halifax and then spending 5 days in Cape Breton in October, before returning to Halifax for a few days. Would especially like to hear thoughts about Cape Breton (trails, driving, dining, must-do's,things to avoid, and general impressions). Welcome Home!
Aug 25th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

To those that've asked for my itinerary - would love to share & add comments - if you'd like, E mail me at [email protected], and I could send the itinerary as a MS word attachment, adding comments... I think I still have it on a floppy disk. I planned pretty well time-wise, except we feel we would've liked at leat one more day on Cape Breton, and would've skipped Pictou. I traveled with my mother who is 76, I am 50 (by the way). Some of the things I did, or did not do, were limited based on Mom's (in)ability to hike trails,etc.
Jan 8th, 2004, 07:27 PM

To the top for rubigayle.
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:42 PM

Dear Travel lover
Just a quick question is it along day travelling from Halifax to Sydney and could one accommodate to visit Fort Louisborg with this travel.
Jul 21st, 2004, 05:06 PM

Allow about 5 1/2 hours to drive from Halifax to Sydney. Plan to spend at least half a day at Louisburg, more if you are a history buff. It is fun as well as the staff do not get out of character for the period the Fort represents. Plan to stop in Baddeck before heading to Sydney.