NS/PEI Itinerary with baby

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 10-day trip (including travel time) to NS/PEI with our 4 month old baby in August and we're trying to come up with an itinerary that involves the least driving/hotel changes possible but also allows seeing the most of PEI/NS as we've never been there. Our draft, sketchy itinerary is to drive to Portland and take the CAT to Yarmouth, round trip. One question I had is is it just better to drive the whole way or one way, given the cost of the CAT? We'd probably spend 2 days in and around Halifax, 3-4 in Cape Breton, 3-4 in PEI (in the rusticos), maybe a night in Digby on the way back to yarmouth. Is this too ambitious? Any hotel suggestions? something with suite/cottages are attractive so we can enjoy our evenings while the baby sleeps in the bedroom. thanks so much in advance. Sorry that I'm asking such basic questions - right now I'm overwhelmed by the attractions and don't know where to begin.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:29 AM
LJ

Only you know your baby's tolerance for changing from place to place, but I think I am seeing 4 or possibly 5 changes of address in 10 days, including the CAT? That seems an awful lot. As I see it, in high season (July-August) your main challenge is going to be finding the sort of accomodation you want (efficiency/ensuite/cottages) for the short periods you want them. The best ones rent by the week only. Finding a bargain is highly unlikely this late in the season. Perhaps you would be better trying one destination for this year?

NS is wonderful and the CAT takes you direct to Yarmouth...you could target a place to stay near Lunenburg and explore that area (UNESCO World Heritage site:The Bluenose, Blue Rocks,Peninsula Park, Beckman's Beach, Bridgewater) and do day trips to Halifax, Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, The Oven's, the beaches of Chester/Basin. This, to my way of thinking, would be much easier on the nerves than trying to find a new place every 2nd or 3rd day and hoping baby's schedule fits in with that of the other guests!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks LJ, that is very helpful. Can you tell me - are the beaches near Lunenberg swimmable or just far too cold? The idea of warmer water beaches in PEI was attractive to us as we love to swim. Also, is it terrible to go all the way there and miss the Cabot Trail? I'm willing to miss it if necessary (your ideas sound nice). Another option would be to fly to Halifax? Perhaps that would make PEI/CB possible?
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 05:39 AM
BAK

When my kids were four motnhs old, I don't think they cared where they were, as long as it was not too hot nor too cold... they slept pretty much anywhere.

Your trip might be affected by where you come from.

I think Maine is a great place, and it is a shame to miss it by taking the boat from the south end of Maine. But maybe you are all Mained-out already.

Is there still a ferry from BAr Harbor to Nove Scotia? That might be an idea.

Lunenberg water is freezing.

PEI water, and Northumberland Strait near Shediac is warm enough for comfortable swimming.

You might even get junior into the water. The sandy bottom of the ocean has dips andhigher points, so that when the tidegoes out there are little pools of water, some six inches deep, some a foot deep. Even a tiny baby might get three or four minutes sitting in the ocean in warm water, held by mom or dad.

I've never met anyone who visited the CAbot Trail who was not happy they did; on the other hand, it is a long way from anywhere and will suck up perhaps three days in getting to, circling, and getting away from.

The current Gourmet has a little story on Maine lobster shacks. Useful info for a traveller with a baby and a taste for fine food, because these places are so casual.

I'd be curious if anyone can tell me of similar lobster shacks in the maritimes.

BAK
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:01 AM
LJ

BAK is knowledgable and has left you even more to think about: the water near Lunenberg is not, IMHO, "freezing" but then, I was brought up in Newfoundland and we used to have a dip every year on the 24th of May weekend while watching the icebergs so my idea of cold is truly warped. Maybe it is for another time when the little one is older and hardier if you really want to swim.

My parents took us to Stanhope Beach in PEI every summer and we all learned to swim there and you and DH and baby would all be very happy with the water temperature there. Much to do.

Maine is also fabulous, but as a proud Canuck on the eve of Canada Day, I want you to see this beautiful part of my country.

Or the Cabot Trail...you sound like a wonderful Mom: cut yourself some slack and DON'T try to do too much or you won't get a holiday and will then be slightly less wonderful...trust me, been there!

My main concern is that whatever you pick, you pick fast, these are very popular places and good accomodations go fast. (and do let us know!)
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Since we're so in love with swimming PEI remains attractive. we found a great house rental that has a 10-day special in Aug., it's located on trout river. would it be possible to do a day trip to cape breton from there or maybe one overnight?
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:02 PM

A day trip wouldn't be possible and an overnight wouldn't be worth it. You need to spend at least 2-3 days in Cape Breton for it to be worth it.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Okay. How does this sound: fly Boston-Charlottetown on 8/8, drive from there to Baddeck, stay 3 nights, back in PEI on 8/11 and stay till 8/20 whereupon we fly back to Boston. Would that work okay?
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Revised itinerary: fly to Halifax, stay 3 nights, explore down to Lunenberg, drive to CB, stay three nights, drive to PEI, stay four nights, and drive back to Halifax for flight home. Doable with baby or too much time in the car? Thanks!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:59 AM
LJ

Tiesl, only you know baby's tolerance for car...I will stand by my originsl advice of "less travel is more fun" for all concerned. Personaly, I think even your revised agenda has WAY too much to'ing and fro'ing by car...but you know best...have a wonderful time and let us know how it all turns out!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:55 AM
LJ

Tiesl, check out hdm's weekend in Charlottetown travel report-further down this page/there is SO much to do on PEI, I think you could spend your entire trip there! I say this despite the fact I love Nova Scotia...I just truly think you would be better off concentrating on one destination for this trip and coming back to see Cape Breton/Halifax/Lunenburg etc another time when baby is a little older.