Search

Tropical Feelings in N.S.?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tropical Feelings in N.S.?

Hi,

o.k. I know there won`t be anything like that... But, we are in the stage of planning a summer-trip to Nova Scotia and maybe New Foundland, but still like the sun and swimming. Can anyone help us out regarding information about water temperatures in that region (lakes&ocean)? I am talking about the end of June or July.
Thanks from Germany

Miriam & Oliver
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Although there are some good beaches in NS the very best warm water sandy beaches north of the Carolinas are on Prince Edward Island. If that's what you're looking for make sure to include PEI in your plans. The waters off Newfoundland are very cold so don't even think about beaches there.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:13 PM
wow

Hi, Miriam & Oliver! Can't comment on Newfoundland but I do know a lot about NS & PEI. Gary is right about the beaches on Prince Edward Island. For both NS & PEI you shd visit during the last 2 weeks in July & the 1st week in August to experience the warmest water temps. The end of June would be very cold. Go to www.novascotia.com for further info. They have a German link. Ask for the Nova Scotia "Doers' & Dreamers' Guide" which will help you plan your trip. It is a very well laid out guide book. Hope this helps!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:37 PM
BAK

It's Newfoundland, all one word, and in fact government has decreed that the full name of the province is Newfoundland and Labrador.

And it is all surrounded by cold water. I've been in St. John's (note the apostrphe and the s) in July, and seen icebergs flaoting by the outlet fromt he sheltered harbour to the ocean.

Back on the mainland, in the province of New Brunswick (two words, or three becasue government rules tend to says Nouveau new Brunswick)there's a city Called Saint John (no aprstrophe and no S) on the St. John River. Note the rive has St. while the city has Saint.

I write this mostly becuae as I type there's a television program about weird Canadian English, and how it is different from English in the United States and England.

In New Brunswick and in the nearby part of Nova Scoatia there are beaches along Northumberland Strait. This is the body of water between the mainland and Prince Edward Island, and it's got the warmest beaches.

The Shediac and Parlee Beach area, near Moncton, is a good area. I used to visit a cottage near Parlee Beach.

The tides are high here, and the beach is shallow, so what happens at low tide is the water moves out, leaving lots of little pools six inches to perhaps two feet deep, and these can warm up from the sun.

But, as pointed out earlier, it takes a long time for the Maritimes (that's New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island)and Atlantic Canada (that's The Maritimes plus Newfoundland, or, more accurately, Newfoundland and Labrador.) You'll find much warmer water in July than even in late June.

The Maritimes - Atlantic Canada thing is based on the fact that the Maritimes existed for many decades because Newfoundland joined Canada in 1949.

There are a lot of days in June and July when the temperature does not get to 20 or 21.

Newfoundland is a wonderful place, even when it is cool.

About Germany: today at lunch I learned that one of the people who works for me in Toronto is going to Cologne this year, with a group of teenagers going to World Youth Day. It's amazing how so many people go so many places.

BAK

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 01:32 AM

If you want beautiful beaches with no crowds, stay in Pictou County area of Nova Scotia. PEI is directly off its shores (you can see it on a clear day). Melmerby, Black Point, Sinclairs Island, Big Island, Caribou all have great beaches with warm waters. It won't be tropical warm but warmer than any other beaches in Nova Scotia. Do order your copy of the Doers and Dreamers guide for Nova Scotia, lots of information available at your fingertips!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM

Oliver, you can also search out your Nova Scotia accommodations online at www.checkinnovascotia.com If you're planning on taking the ferry to Newfoundland, be aware that you will need to reserve the ferry and book lodging accommodations near the ferry terminals well in advance. I would be happy to look up the internet site I used to book my trip to Newfoundland in 2000 if you are seriously considering including it in your travel plans.