Another Hotel Conundrum in Vancouver

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Hotel Conundrum in Vancouver

I know this question has been asked time and time again, but we (2 ladies 35-40 years old) will be staying in Vancouver for the evening preceding and the evening following our cruise in August. From this forum and tripadvisor.com I chose The WEDGEWOOD Hotel for both nights but am having second thoughts that we may want to stay at one of the properties closer to the harbor...The choices are The FOUR SEASONS, The PAN PACIFIC and the FAIRMONT WATERFRONT all with rates in the $300-$400 range. The Westin Bayshore is less $$, but does not seem up to the standards of the other properties. We just want the best experience possible and don't want to waste money on a property that is just OK but costs more because it is a waterfront property. Is the WEDGEWOOD "the" hotel or should we spend the money elsewhere?
Any insight would be very much appreciated.
Thank You~ Sarah
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 01:46 PM

I've only heard fantastic reviews about the Wedgewood on this forum. The Four Seasons, however, is no closer to the harbour than the Wedgewood. Those 2 hotels are really close to each other... you could likely walk between the 2 in 5 minutes.

The Fairmont Waterfront is supposed to be wonderful - I've stayed at both the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver and the Fairmont Empress (in Victoria) - the standards are always high.

The Pan Pacific is, I believe, rated 5 stars, and it is next door to the Fairmont Waterfront. I'm sure it's great, but I have read about people finding it too impersonal, large and cavernous. If the Wedgewood is the epitome of quaint & charming, the Pan Pacific is the total opposite.

In the end, I see no reason to stay closer to the harbour as that area remains somewhat lifeless in the evening - the immediate vicinity is surrounded by office towers which empties out at night, so it's quiet. The Wedgewood (and the Four Seasons) are just off Robson which would have a lot of shops, cafes and restaurants open into the night - very vibrant in the summer months.

As well, as long as you're staying downtown, you're going to be within a short walking distance to water no matter what direction you head in.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM

I agree re the Wedgewood - it is more of a boutique hotel and owned and run by a lady - not a corp. (at least it was unless things have changed). The Westin Bayshore shouldn't be ruled out. It has a different atmosphere as it is not like the downtown highrises it has a more comfortable feel. It is right on the seawalk and has nice grounds between the hotel and the water with a marina to give it more of a resort feel. They are three totally different feels depending on what you want. The Four Seasons, Pan Pacific and Waterfront are all right on the street with shops etc and have a more big city hustle feel. The Wedgewood a very personal feel and the Westin is more of a resort feel. Hope that helps! Wherever you stay have a wonderful visit and cruise.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Pardon me for the comment about wondering why you'd want to stay next to the harbour - I totally glanced over the bit where you mentioned you'd be there post-cruise. In that case, wanting to stay there makes more sense!
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Just a thought (and I happen to be a rabid fan of the Wedgewood, so I might as well admit that at the outset) - a cruise ship is rather like a huge hotel with a thousand or so people milling around; you might really enjoy the quieter, boutique-type experience at the Wedgewood, by contrast. The other hotels you mention are much larger and the atmosphere, pleasant though it may be, will be similar to the ship's in some respects.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:38 PM

I have never stayed at the Wedgewood.

I have stayed often at the Pan Pacific, its neighbour the Waterfront and the fairly close 4 Seasons.

Also the more distant, non-waterfront Wall Centre (Sheraton hotel -- some of the rooms, esp. above 20th floor, are dynamite)

All have immaculate service.

Of the 3 above, I would choose the Pan Pacific. Though the cavernous entrance to the hotel feels a bit like entering a convention centre -- which it is -- the finish of the rooms and the calibre of the staff set it apart.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 07:49 PM

I am staying at the Pan Pacific and will report back. very much looking forward to it!
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Another vote for the Wedgewood here. Granted, I haven't stayed at the other hotels mentioned but the things you've heard about the Wedgewood are correct- it's a very very nice hotel, all oak-panelled walls, gracious service, and a feeling of all-round class. And it's not all THAT far from the harbour anyway- as someone above mentioned you might as well stay somewhere really nice and take a short taxi ride (or walk).
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:45 AM

All the hotels would probably be O.K., but just to confuse the issue,Consider the Bayshore.It has a great location in Coal harbour. The area has been built up recently with many upscale condos. there is a seawalk that goes along the Harbour, and itis also very close to the entrance to Stanley Park. Its about a 15 minute walk to the Pan pacific.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you all so much for the invaluable advice...
I initally booked the Wedgewood, but finally decided and switched to the Westin Bayshore and used Starwood points for both nights. (I didn't even know I had points) So anyway, the Westin it is...we will definately go to Bacchus at the Wedgewood for a cocktail and see if we would like to book there next time in Vancouver.
Again, thank you all...I can't wait for the trip!
Sarah
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:52 PM

I am glad to hear you have switched. It is a lovely hotel in a lovely spot. You will enjoy the atmosphere there. I am a little prejudiced though my daughter worked there several years ago. Have a wonderful visit and cruise.