Search

Vancouver Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:01 PM
gkb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver Hotels

Will be in city middle of March. First time to Vancouver; traveling with 15yr. old son who enjoys sightseeing and nature.<BR>Have priced out: Fairmont Waterfront(Concierge level) Sheraton Wall, and Westin Bayside (Tower room with Balconey) Would love info on these or suggestions. Want quality, location, and Views.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 09:00 PM

Other than being closer to the upscale shopping area of Robson Street, the Sheraton Wall Centre doesn't hold a candle to the ambiance of either the Farimont or Westin Bayshore, (not Bayside). Both the Westoin &amp; Fairmont are top quality hotels just short of 5 Diamond AAA rating. The Bayshore is right next to Stanley park and calls itself a 'Resort Hotel' which in a way it is because it is on the harbour, next to the 1,000 acre forested park and yet is in one of the most densely populated places in North America outside Manhattten - the West End. The Harbour there is mostly for pleasure craft and the occaisional seaplane. If being next to nature yet with all the urban amenities is important to you than the Bayshore fits the bill.<BR><BR>The Fairmont Waterfront is right next to the Canada Place Centre and main cruise ship port. While there aern't many cruise ships this time of year it's still a terrific location. It's a short three or four block walk to the heart of Vancouver's downtown, it's right next to one of the major tourist attractions - Vancouver's historic Gastown and you're in the centre of the action as far as the Harbour is concerned with it's frenetic activity of ships, planes, ferries &amp; copters. It's also only steps away from the SkyTrain (our Rapid Transit) station and the seabus station which takes you accross to the north shore of the Harbour and access to the local Mountains.<BR><BR>Tough choice? Sorry.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:49 AM
ron

I wouldn’t disagree with GaryA’s analysis and, based on your criteria, I would choose the Bayshore Inn. I have not stayed there, but I have stayed at your other two options – the Wall Centre a couple of weeks ago and the Waterfront Centre a couple of years ago. Both are fine hotels, with little to choose between them. I had what I considered a very large room at the Wall Centre, but when I looked at the fire escape floor plan on the back of the door, I learned that I was in the smallest room – the others must be huge. (The hotel is triangular, so that all rooms are different shape and size.) <BR><BR>I think the Wall Centre also has some location advantages worth mentioning - close to the ferries that take you to the various attractions on False Creek, close to Yaletown (although I must admit the charms of Yaletown are lost on me - perhaps I am too old). And at 35 storeys, I would imagine the views from upper floors are pretty spectacular.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:17 PM
gkb
Original Poster

Thanks guys...have now changed ideas...how about: Sutton Place, Pacific Palisades, The Victoria (Fairmont) and Westin Bayshore???<BR><BR>Had a travel expert??? say these were better than Shaeraton and Fairmont Waterfront... want something &quot;wonderful&quot;, but each one different. Out of the four tell me which ones..have to choose three of four.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:21 PM
gkb
Original Poster

Think quick... dont know if my last post was implemented..if so- I wasn't finished. Had travel expert??? tell me these were better than: Sheraton Wall, Fairmont Water (Gold level).The Vancouver (Fairmont.) They are: Westin Bayshore, Pacific Palisades, Sutton Place..I want something &quot;wonderful&quot; and totally different from each other. Think quick..I'm leaving on Tuesday.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:24 PM

Of the ones you've mentioned and given what you're looking for the Westin Bayshore is 'Da Best!' for combination of quality, location &amp; views. But make sure you get a view room - of the harbour &amp;/or Stanley park specifically.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:20 PM
gkb
Original Poster

Thanks Gary! I get to pick 3 of the above mentioned!!! Well, after your great review of the Westin Bayshore- I get to choose 2 more.<BR>Should it be: Fairmont Vancouver (Gold Level),Pacific Palisades, Sutton Place, or any other suggestions??<BR><BR>
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 09:13 PM

Sutton Place is definately Ultra First Class but it's not well located for views of the Harbour &amp; Mountains but it is well located for shopping. The Fairmont Vancouver is the Dowager Hotel of Vancouver and is at the heart of everything but again from everything you've said you're looking for it's not ahead of the Bayshore.<BR><BR>The only other hotel you havn't mentioned which easily beats out the others is the Pan Pacific hotel atop Canada Place and the Cruise Ship Centre. It's right accross from the Fairmont Waterfront right on the water and is a cut above it being a 5 Diamond hotel compared to the Waterfront's 4.<BR><BR>I'm not trying to make things difficult for you so I still say take the Bayshore or if you want absolute top class with ultra super views take the Pan Pacific but be prepared to pay more.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 06:06 PM
gkb
Original Poster

Again thanks, Ok I will do the Bayshore and the Pan Pacific (I was told it was too business class, but you know so much about the area Im going with your rec's); and now I have one other night I need a hotel for???????? Which one should it be....I have booked the Pacific Palisades only because it is supposed to be a &quot;HIP&quot; hotel and thought my 15yr. old would like it ????<BR><BR>At the Bayshore I got a suite with a large balconey; I'm excited about it!<BR><BR>I wanted one night at a hotel similar to the Plaza with old world charm and opulance, but havent really found it.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 08:35 PM

The Pacific Palisades is Popular with Hollywood Movie people but otherwise it's a pretty middle of the road all suite hotel. If you want old world opulance I guess the Fairmont Vancouver as the citiy's dowager hotel would come closest or the Wedgewood which is not old world exactly but an excellant and very, very popular European style 'botique' hotel. So<BR>the choice again is yours.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Amy

Seconding the Wedgewood here for a great hotel experience! I loved it, and I've been in a lot o'hotels in a lot o'price brackets. It's a good location, too.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 08:05 PM
gkb
Original Poster

Kuddos to you Gary...you hit it Perfect!<BR>The Pan Pacific was Fabulous-we had a corner room with view of harbor and mountains( 4 huge windows) watching the planes, ferries, etc. and this morning I watched 3 eagles flying the air currents while I was drinking my coffee. We hated the Pacific Palisades; it was &quot;worn looking&quot; dirty and stained furniture, the wine and spa package I had ordered showed up about 2:00a.m. and I was told I didnt have breakfast included; the night desk clerk was totally clueless.The manager was unwilling to credit us any money back. After this experience; I decided to look into my reservation at the Westin Bayshore and check out the accomodation...I had booked a Junior Suite with a large balconey (for our last night in Canada) so my husband could sit out over the harbour and smoke his last Havanna of the trip.The room I was shown had a small window overlooking the water and the room was quite small. I was told that there were NO rooms with large balconies and that my reservation had been cancelled and that I didnt have breakfast, spa, parking, etc. that I had confirmed in my &quot;package&quot;; but they were willing to re-instate my reservation. At this point I cancelled the Westin and we stayed our last night at the Pan Pacific in another corner room with excellent: service, views, food, and accomodation. The Long Beach Lodge in Tofino was exceptional and what a setting. But, our favorite hotel was the Fairmont Chateau in Whistler. We were on the Gold Concierge level and the service and goods were very impressive. In all of our travels I have never been anywhere that had friendly, courteous people like Canada did. We will return. Amy, I tried the Waterford, but it was booked for our dates.