Reload this Page >

Wickannish Inn or Long Beach Lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 03:31 PM
karen

We are thinking of going to Vancouver and Tofino and (any other suggestions please) for our tenth anniversary at the end of May. We have seen both of thes Inns on the web and wondered about the differences and which one we should stay at. Also how many days shoud we go there for? Where else in the general area should we go -- we were thinking of taking a week or so. One last thing -- will we be able to see the whales then?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:16 PM
meghan

Hi Karen, my husband and I have been going to Vancouver island every summer for the past 4 years. It's so wonderful. We've been all over the island and have stayed at Wickaninish Inn (&quot;The Wick&quot. The Wick was very nice and continues to receive kudos from travel clubs and travel magazines etc. I think that it is over-rated, though. It's pretty contemporary inside the Inn and the rooms themselves. The restaurant was cool and had great food. The service was very good. I think it's over-rated and over-priced, though, and we will not return. Make sure go go to Ucluelet - has a FABULOUS stained glass shop offering gorgeous, unique wall sconces (candle and electric) hand made by a very pleasant young man. My favorite place on the island - April Point on Quadra Island in Campbell River. GREAT place - ask for cabin #24, at the end. It is right on the water with breathtaking views and has a fireplace. Restaurant is great AND they havea terrific sushi bar. Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston stayed here (I think for their honeymoon). Goldie Hawn stayed acroos the way at Painter's Lodge - less rustic, less quiet, more expensive, no sushi bar. April Point is extremely reasonable for what you get (I think) and ofers guided fishing (5 star) and other outings. They also rent scooters so you and your husband can explore the island (small). They'll clean and pack and ship all your fish for you. The best guides are Steve (aka &quot;Seal Killer&quot, &quot;Hopper&quot; (and his brother - both great, and Brian. Victoria - don't bother. Overcrowded and over-rated. Try Sooke Harbour House.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Wayne

We just returned from the Tofino area and spent four nights at the Wick. The Wick is expensive but not unreasonably priced for what you get: ocean view room, fireplace, large modern bathroom with shower and soaker tub and very friendly, accommodating service. The food at the Pointe is very good but I thought it tries too hard and pricey. That said, breakfast at the Pointe with the sunrise is not to be missed; breathtaking 270 degree views of Chesterman Beach. We stopped at the Long Beach Lodge; similar to the Wick but newer and not as established. The restaurant recently lost its chef because of management differences.<BR><BR>There's lots to do in the area. Besides visiting the towns mentioned by Meghan, you can surf, fish, watch whales, go kayaking, etc. Just do a search for Tofino and you'll find more about the activities. You'll be in the Pacific Rim National Park so there are many trails along the beach and into the rainforest; bring hiking boots and a rain parka (just in case). Lots of good restaurants in Tofino like the Schooner and Tough City Sushi at half the price of the Pointe. Another accommodation to consider is the Tough City Inn...Have a great time...

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Ms. Ghost

Yes, there will be whales at that time of year. For the past two years we have spent a week or more in the Tofino area--several nights at The Wick and this past trip a dinner at Long Beach Lodge (sorry to hear the chef has left as she did a great job!!). I agree that The Wick is over-rated although it was nice. The rooms were, to us, a bit sterile and the gas fireplace somewhat wimpy--but the hotel has lovely views and memorable dining. They are adding something like 30 more rooms in a separate building. We wonder how that will impact the public areas and spa which will not be enlarged.<BR>Long Beach looks out over a spectacular beach that is great for wandering. After seeing the hotel, we tried to book a room but it was full so we didn't get to look at any of the rooms.<BR>Our favorite place in the area is the Clayoquot Wilderness Resort! It's a 30 min. boat trip from the Tofino docks where they meet you to their floating resort. Rates include all meals and they are fabulous ones. They just completed a gorgeous spa on the water's edge next to the floating lodge. Also, another 20 min. or so beyond (by boat) is their Outpost which is luxury &quot;camping&quot; at its best! Tents with wooden floors, gas fireplaces and all sorts of activities including horseback riding, mountain biking, kayaking, fishing--it's wonderful! From both places you can take great guided trips for whale watching, hot springs, fishing, to name a few. Check it out at www.wildretreat.com. We liked it so much our first trip (April 2001) of 4 days that we went back this past July for 8 days--4 at the floating resort and 4 at the Outpost (including a heavenly massage each day, we especially loved the hot rock massage in the massage tent at the Outpost!).

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 03:58 PM
karen

Thank you for your input -- the Clayoquot sounds wonderful -- but we can't afford that much -- or if we could we would go back to Africa. If I understood their web site it was over 1200 a night for the two of us -- all inclusive. We are still debating about the other two lodges -- my husband favors the Wick and I think I am leaning toward Long Beach Lodge. Would love to hear from someone who has actually stayed there.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Ms. Ghost

Karen, Sorry to lead you &quot;astray&quot; about Clayoquot, but we didn't pay anywhere near that amount. Either their rates have gone up astronomically or--and you might try this--they give better rates/specials when you actually call to book depending upon the occupancy rate. Since you aren't going at high season, you might just call to see what specials they have going.<BR>The other thought I had was that one thing that might affect your choice between The Wick and Long Beach is if the construction is still going on at The Wick. The new building is not all that far to the south of the present structure--close enough so that if construction is still going on and you had a room on the south side of the building, you'd definitely have your peace and quiet interrupted!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:48 PM
anonymous

check out &quot;a snug harbour inn&quot; bed and breakfast in Uclulet for a true luxury b&amp;b experience. More personal than the Wick i think. There is four rooms and they are all uniquely decorated, gas fireplace, soaker tubs, heated bathroom floors, balcony with ocean view, big beds...very nice!!! www.awesomeview.com<BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 02:03 PM
wendy

I have not stayed at either but do live in Tofino. I think the waterfront rooms at Long Beach Lodge are very nice and I absolutely love their common great room! Cox Bay is a wonderful location! The resort beside Long Beach Lodge is scheduled for an addition this year so it might not matter whether you stay at the Wickinninish or Long Beach Lodge. I think that the major construction at the Wickininnish might be done by May. You could always make inquiries with them in regards to that. If you stay at one you can dine or have drinks at the other and Tofino is such a lovely place that you'll have a great time wherever you decide to stay. The Clayoquot Wilderness Resort is another kettle of fish altogether. I know they have a first class chef and wonderful accommodation but it's a remote place and a boat ride to Tofino for shopping, seeing the National Park, the beaches, etc. If you want to stay on the beach, have easy access to great restaurants and experience all that Pacific Rim National Park has to offer I'd stay in Tofino.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 02:09 PM
DJ

Another vote for the Wickininnish Inn. Liked it very much. Nicely appointed rooms and excellent restaurant with fabulous views.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 02:45 PM
karen

Thank you for your input -- since we have a ways before we need to make reservations, I will wait a little while to see if there is any more feedback on Long Beach Lodge as everyone seems to have stayed at the Wick. I appreciate the comments about construction and expansion as that can really hurt what would be a great place to stay so I will definitely check on that at both places. Another question -- would y'all try to go to Whistler also -nd how would you divide your time between Vancouver, Victoria, Tofino and Whistler -- would you add someplace else or eliminate a place? We are planning about 7-9 nights but we could add to that time or subtract from it easily -- so if we need more or less time, please let us know. Thank you for all your help.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:18 PM
anonymous

whoa that a lot for 7-9 days. I would suggest 2-3 days in each place at least. Assuming you start in vancouver for a couple days, then drive to whistler (2 hours) and spend a couple days up there. <BR><BR>Then you have to drive back to vancouver and take the ferry to the island/victoria (an all day affair once you consider driving back to vancouver, waiting for ferry, 90 min ferry ride and then finding accomdation for the evening - it would be a long day to go from whister to Tofino, but do-able) - your up to 6 days already. After a couple days in victoria, its another easy day of scenic driving to Tofino, at which you could easily spend a few days in that area if you like the west coast lifestyle ie hiking, parks, beach etc. <BR><BR>If you have the time - great plan. If you don't have 2 weeks available, i would suggest just doing vancouver then going to the island (victoria, nanaimo, then off to tofino and uclulet) and skipping whistler. Or if you want whistler, then do vancouver, whistler, then straight to Nanaimo, Tofino and skip the southern part of the island (victoria).

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 02:16 PM
ALF

Here's a nice article on the west coast of Vancouver Island from yesterday's Seattle Times:<BR>http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...each%22+storms

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We (myself, husband, and 2 small kids) stayed at the Long Beach Lodge Resort last year in April, shortly after the lodge opened. It was a fantastic stay. We got a third floor, beachfront room and fell asleep to the sounds of the waves crashing (better than a nature CD!). Their deep soaker tub was awesome. Their great room was wonderful. You can read, have conversation with other guests, play games, sip on a drink, and eat appetizers there. We particularly enjoyed the comfort of the great room in the evening after a day at the beach, which is right there at the doorstep of the lodge. Breakfast is complimentary. It was delicious. We had dinner there. That was good too. I don't know what the food is like now because I heard that they changed the chef recently.<BR><BR>Overall, I highly recommend the lodge. In fact, we're going back in March!
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 06:16 PM
gkb

I will be staying at LongBeach on the 19th of March; and will let everyone know how it is...I am really excited since this will be our first trip to Canada. Hope we see lots of whales and sea lions, etc.<BR>Yes,it is a shame if the chef is not the same as before; her name is Susan and she used to be the chef at several 5 star resorts in my homestate of Texas; wonderful food. I do know that breakfast is all homemade muffins and croissants, homemade granola, etc.<BR>Yummy!Will return the week of the 24th and let everyone know how it was
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 08:17 PM
gkb

I'm Back! Long Beach Lodge Resort was wonderful ...couldn't have asked for any thing better. Yes, the chef is not the same, but the food was good. We were on the second floor and the view and accomodation was wonderful. We went to the Wick for dinner and I was not overly impressed, they had no tables left so we ate at the bar and the bar tender was our server-&quot;perk&quot; she gave us several liquors to taste compimentary. The staff raved about the rack of lamb; it was mediocre. We waited over an hour for our food and were full on bread and wine before the meal came. Most expensive meal of our entire trip. Long Beach Lodge has a great location, the rooms have wonderful amenities, and then there is the Great Room- we loved it! And yes, we saw Whales!!!