Search

Sydney B&B or Waldorf on Liverpool

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 10:51 AM
byr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney B&B or Waldorf on Liverpool

I have enojyed reading all the postings on accomodations in Sydney. We are first timers to Australia and are trying to decide on accomodation in Sydney (Dec 25-29) for our family of four(includes two teenagers). We have narrowed our choices to:

Waldorf Apartments on Liverpool A$202per night for 2 BR apartment
Sydney Harbor B&B for A$268 per night for a large room that can sleep 4.

My question is:
Is the better location of the Sydney B&B worth the price difference? We would love to get some advice.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:31 PM

For the vastly superior location would take the B&B, which I keep hearing very good things about. For four people the extra $66 I think is worth it terms of convenience to Circular Quay, Opera House, bridge, etc, and its just a better area. Have fun!
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:40 PM

The Sydney Harbour B&B certainly wins hands down for location, just near the high-priced Shangri-La and near the Rocks area (whereas the Waldorf is down Chinatown way, and is suitable more for people who plan to see a lot of movies, do a lot of shopping, or spend a lot of time in Darling Harbour). However, the two-room apartment at the Waldorf has a lot going for it over a single large room in the B&B. And that room certainly comes at a high price.... did you know that if you are prepared to take a share bath (not such a hard ask in the week which includes Christmas Day, as most people are at home with their families, and you may find that there's no one who wants to share it) you can have a quad room at the Grand in Hunter St for around $AUD130.... and its location is not only better than the Waldorf, but it would give the B&B a run for its money (actually they are only five minutes apart). Or, if you're prepared to stay across the Harbour Bridge and either take the twenty-minute walk across the Bridge (or catch a train or a bus which will do it in half the time), you can get a two-bedroom apartment at the Bentleigh for $AUD180 per night (this is for a four-night stay). North Sydney is a lovely part of the city -- you get to look at the harbour every time you walk across the bridge, and you can occasionally take the ferry across from the Milson's Point wharf... and for a saving of nearly $AUD90 a night over the B&B, well, that's a lot of food paid for (plus, the apartment idea allows you to buy in supermarkets and cook for your family right there in the apartment, which can constitute another considerable saving; that's why I was inclined to lean towards the Waldorf in spite of its less-great location -- anyway, Sydney is a compact city where you're never really far from anything).

Check this site: http://www.pacrimapartments.com.au/site/rates/, and also, maybe, http://www.ozbnbdir.com/sydney.htm.

Good luck!
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:23 AM

Hi byr,
In terms of specific location it depends upon what you want. Having stayed at the Waldorf with my family over new year (03/04) I would sya that the location of the Waldorf was perfect for us.It was away from the crowds around the rocks area whilst being just 15 mins walk away. It was right next to darling harbour and gave us a view of an area we may not have visited had we stayed in the rocks.
The apartments are ok, of course no boutique hotel, but spacious and clean.
We too had 2 teenagers and the extra room was a must for us.
So in summary: Syd Harbour B&B The price you have seems good lfor the location but one room to me would be a problem.
Waldorf: Price is better, Location is ok but perhaps not so good (depending on your view) Two rooms, kitchen area, large bathroom washing machine and dryer.

With teenagers I think I would definitely choose the Waldorf.
And next door is a restaurant called Mammas kitchen which is pretty basic but the food is excellent.

Muck
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:08 AM
byr
Original Poster

Thank you all for your speedy responses. I wrote to the Sydney B&B about different possibilities to lower the costs of staying there, and to my surprise, they are willing to give me the very large quad room for $220 per night instead of $268.
Alan and Muck, does that change your leaning towards the Waldorf for my family?
Many thanks again for your expert advice.
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Hi byr,
I guess you need to see what you personally value most. Cost is pretty much out of the equation now thanks to your good work, so the reality is location v space. Personally my teenagers (boy 16 girl 13 then )liked to sleep late especially after a wonderful long hot day in the Blue Mountains. So to us the extra room space alowed them to do that, which avoided the miserable teenage grunting which they are most famous for when overtired. ;-)
My wife loves anywhere with a washing machine. So I would probably still pot for the Waldorf, but that's just my personal opinion, I suspect the location of the B&B may be what you value most of all, if that is the case go for it.
Whatever you decide you will have a fabulous time in Sydney.

Muck
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:19 PM
LN

You can get a lot of good advice on this site and Alan, Pat and Muck always are top notch. Me - I'll tell you what it's like to stay 4 nights in one room with two teenagers (5 days at Disneyworld)- unbelieveably close and more difficult by the day with attitudes (teens) and anger(adults) rising by the hour. For the ability to go into a separate room and read or watch tv, I'd vote for the 2 bedroom apartment. I know, it's just my 2 cents.
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Yikes, LN and Muck, know what its like too, 6 weeks in Europe with only one 15yo was enough for me! At least we knew where she was. There is a definite call for family rooms in B&B's, usually sleeping four comfortably. Sydney Harbour B&B provides a 3 course cooked breakfast, whilst am not up on Sydney breakfast costs these days can imagine that it would it represent some saving with a couple of hungry teenagers.

I do meet a lot of Americans who come to North Qld via Sydney, many choose to stay in smaller than hotel accommodations, the favourites would be Russell in the Rocks, Sydney Harbour B&B and Victoria House, Potts Point, where its proximity to the Cross doesn't seem to be a concern.
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Congratulations, byr, on scoring a discount from the B&B -- it just goes to show, it never hurts to ask.

Loving a discount as I do, I think this would probably sway me towards the B&B -- just so I could brag to my friends about what a canny shopper I am. However, I don't know your teenagers! I must say, though, that we always take our kids with us when we travel, and some times we have been in very tiny rooms indeed, and it's never been a problem.

The breakfast certainly represents a real saving, if it's a good one -- your average teenager can devour $20 worth of breakfast at a single setting, and spill a further $30-worth on the tablecloth, so there's most of your money recouped for a start. Yes, I think I'd go for the B&B, with a second choice the Bentleigh.
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:15 PM
byr
Original Poster

Actually, I would love to claim credit for being a canny shopper too, Alan. But I must admit that I didn't ask for a discount. I wanted to know if one of the cheaper rooms could accommodate a roll-away bed for the fourth person. They said it was too small but offered me the bigger room for less. I am glad I asked questions, though. You never know what they are prepared to do!

My teenagers are like Alan's...we've taken them everywhere and they are very adaptable and we have never had problems in tiny quarters. So I am going to go for Sydney B&B and enjoy the great discount.

You all have been incredible. Your generosity in taking the time and energy to help out with my travel plans is overwhelming. Many, many thanks.
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Hi byr,
great stuff, don't forget to let us know how your other plans go and also let us know how you enjoyed the trip

Good Luck and have fun

Muck