Search

Day trips from Port Douglas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Port Douglas

Hi there,

We are intending to be in Port Douglas in mid July and would really appreciate some recommendations on two kind of day trips in the area
(1) Outer reef: We are snorkellers, would like to go to a well preserved area and hopefully avoid crowds as much as possible, which would be the best of these tours: Poseidon, Calypso, Haba or Wavelength?. They have told us that the Agincourt area is excellent, but Poseidon is the only company going there. The other goes to closer areas as Opal Reef, Turtle Bay, or Tongue Reefs. Which of those would you actually recommend to snorkellers? After that tour, would it be possible to catch a bus and head to Yunganburra or it is too tight in terms of time? Is there any bus to Yunganburra from Port Douglas?
(2) Cape Tribulation and Daintree area, we hesitate between Deluxe Safari and Wet Tropic Safaris...Any recommendation here?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:53 PM

Hello Nikita - for snorkellers only, definitely Wavelength which goes to 3 different reef sites. "Outer" reef does not necessarily mean "better" reef, in fact it has become an overused marketing term. For anyone really interested in reef I do strongly recommend a couple of hours at Reef Teach in Cairns, 6pm every evening except Sundays. Pro-Dive, which is the longest standing diving company in the area, include this session in their "learn to dive" courses.

I think Wavelength gets back to PD about 4.30-5.00pm - which leaves no time for Yungaburra that day. White Car coaches have a service from Cairns to the Tableland, but you'd be far better off renting a car and driving yourself. From PD it's about and 2 and a half hour drive if you take the more scenic Gillies Highway, south of Cairns. Also, there are day trips to Tableland which include Yungaburra.

, Pete's Heritage and Interpretive Tours is excellent, or if you don't want to spend that sort of money, Trek North's CT1 trip.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:55 PM

Whoops, a few words dropped off that last para which refers to Cape Tribulation.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Dear Pat,

Many thanks for your useful suggestions. We will probably stay in Port Douglas the night after the snorkelling trip and head to Yunganburra by car next day. We will only have about 2.5 days in the Tablelands area, but hopefully it will give us sometime to do some independent travelling there. Would the weather be nice in mid July? Do you advice us to go to Kuranda during our last day in the region? Most guides say that the village is becoming a bit touristy and has lost its original taste.

Last question: I have seen a posting in this site about some night activity called Flames of the Forest, I went to the website and I am actually not sure about whether it would be a nice experience or a tourist trap...

Laura
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Hi Laura, yes, Kuranda Village itself itself is mega-touristy. But the Skyrail trip up shouldn't be missed and the scenery from the train is spectacular in parts. Port Douglas itself, whilst attractive, is also VERY touristy - I have heard so many negative comparisons on this forum v. Port Douglas or Palm Cove v. Cairns, mainly from those who have only been to Cairns tourist strip and haven't a clue what they are talking about (some guidebooks included) that I am beginning to despair! In Port Douglas you won't see many Aboriginal or TI people, although you will in nearby Mossman, neither will you see them in Palm Cove, but you will in nearby Cairns city. As a nation, in the past, we have done dreadful things to our indigenous people, but at least in Cairns we don't try to hide the evidence.

July is winter, it will be cool on the Tableland, Atherton which is not far from Yungaburra had a minimum the other night of 1C. It's a lovely part of Qld and if you are interested in wildlife you should see the Mareeba Wetlands - you can drive there and I think the admission fee is about $8.00 (Australian). If you are interested in seeing examples of outback Australia, suggest you take Cape York Airlines "Play Postie for a Day" and visit some of the outback cattle stations in the area and see how the rural people live. Have a great time - your only problem is that you don't have enough time in the area.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Pat,

Thanks for that, wished I would have talked to you earlier, now almost everything is booked for us and I tried to avoid Cairns as I saw so many negative reviews in all the different guides I was reading so far... I actually hesitated between PD or Cairns and finally went to PD basically because it was closer to the Cape Tribulation area (we'll be a bit out of PD ina Bed and breakfast called Paradise Villa). The last day of our stay in Australia we will be in Cairns though, although in Trinity Beach. And yes, I do agree with you that our main problem is lack of time!

Thanks for all the super useful tips,

Laura
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Hi Nikita - sorry I forgot to answer your question on Flames of the Forest - I haven't had a chance to do it but I have a friend who leaves at nearby Mossman Gorge who has and she describes it as "pure magic". Might be a bit nippy on a July night though.

Paradise Villa is lovely, it's a B&B that has been around a long time and the owners know the area backwards and will be able to give you any advice you need.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:20 PM

Dear Laura,

If you spent your last day in Cairns, you could spend it at Pat's lovely B&B, Lilybank. We were there in May and enjoyed Pat and Mike's hospitality. You'd also be able to stop in down the road and have a boffo meal at the Garden Room and meet Phoebe.

AndrewDavid

PS breakfast at Lilybank is also boffo.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

WOW, Thanks a lot for all this info!. I must admit that I did not make the connection between Pat and the Lilybank Bed and Breakfast. My b-friend already arranged something at Trinity Beach so I do not want to get too much in his way, now that I am planning most of the tours....However, Pat, pls be sure we'll try to follow Andrew's recommendation and pass by your place when in Cairns and bring you some Belgian chocolates for all your valuable tips.

Thanks again for all,

Laura
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Laura, thanks so much - I just adore Belgian chocolates,well who doesn't? Would love to say g'day if you can drop in when in our area - 75 Kamerunga Rd, Stratford, about 8 km north of Cairns - city - phone 40 551123. There's no reason why you should have made any connection with our B&B and my postings on this forum, what happens is that I hit my own bookings enquiries several times a day, then often hit Fodors and nearly the same questions come up - so there's no problem sending off a quick answer. And lots of times I'm guilty of not giving a comprehensive and full answer. But I do try to give the "nuts and bolts" answer and hope that people may be interested enough to research it a bit further.
And thanks to Andrew and John - 5 star guests, no - 6 star, people who have run their own B&B and know what special trials that can bring. Andrew, the lovely Phoebe at the Garden Room in Statford is now re-creating her Mum's Sri Lankan recipes for curry lunches - anyone passing down Kamerunga Rd on their way to Kuranda Train or Skyrail should grab one, and remember those great soaps, - terrific inexpensive gifts to take home - Louise from Far North Soaps makes them and sells them at Port Douglas market every Sunday.
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:28 PM

Hey Nikita,
Just a quick note on the different companies and reefs you mentioned for your snorkelling experience.

Firstly, the Dive boats you mentioned:

Poseidon, Calypso and Habba are all dive boats.
Poseidon and Habba are much older companies than Calypso and therefore have had a better pick of the reef sites (first in - best dressed).

Poseidon is a big dive operation, some would say crowded but have several great sites. Calypso has next sized dive boats down but their smallest boat still takes 60 passengers and being very young have only the last few "left over" dive sites.

Habba is smallest dive boat and while their sites are good they only have about 3 to choose from.

Secondly, Wavelength:

Wavelength is the only pure snorkelling boat that goes to the outer reef. They are also the smallest being about half the size of the smallest dive boat. They are also one of the longest running, 2005 being their 20th Anniversary. Consequently they had the "pick" of the sites before anyone got out to the Opal Reef and Tongue Reef area.
"Turtle Bay" is a famous site, not a reef, and was found/claimed by Wavelength 18 years ago and remains one of their many exclusive sites.

Finally, Reefs:

I would challenge anyone to ride out to the reef from Port Douglas blindfolded, jump in the water, and tell the difference between a good site at Agincourt and a good site at Opal/Tongue. The reefs are highly variable and as long as your site is good, the name of the reef is irrelevant.

Hope this helps.