Sydney budget family accomodation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a room in Sydney for a family with an 8 and 10 year old. An friend recommended the Periwinkle guest house in Manly but I was hoping for something less expensive. I have spent a long time searching on the internet but would love some specific honest advice.

1) What area to stay in? I know that Darling Harbour has lots of sights for families but would like to stay in a quiet are. Sounds like taking the ferry is easy - is Manly a good area for our family to stay? (I know it is lively but it sounds quiet if one stays somewhere not close to the beach. Are there other areas equally good - that is pleasant and accessible?

2) Does anyone know of accommodation for a family, close to transportation, for about A $150/night? We need a basic room that sleeps 4, shared bathroom is fine.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:52 PM

Manly's a lovely area and very accessible by ferry and bus. It's very much a residential area, with the "touristy" part really only along the corso.

Here's a link that might be useful;
http://manlybungalow.com/

I don't know this property, but it's within your price range and has a "hot summer special" on now.

Naturally, factors like high/low season and length of stay will influence the pricing in most places.
If you're staying more than a few days, it's always worth asking for a discount.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:24 AM

Hi

Travelling with one's children certainly adds up the cost! We have three daughters so we can't even fit into one room or one taxi! still, we have happily traipsed around the world and in our home city of Sydney too.

I found it better to book into apartments as you can have some meals there and get a bit more space and a break from each other.

I often use the last minute booking service such as www.wotif.com - never had any problems.

Recently we took our girls to a performance at the Opera House and as a treat booked into the World Tower in the city ($199 AUD on wotif.com for 3 bed apartament, amazing views, swimming pool etc)

A more budget but perfectly ok option is the Y - very central next to the Hyde Park, St Mary's Cathedral, walking distance to Chinatown,Parliament House, Botanic Gardens, Opera House( if you keep going);can also get to the eastern suburbs easily ie Bondi beach etc - not sure if they have family rooms but may have interconnecting rooms. They have a 24 hour reception and I think the cost is around $90AUD per double room

My friends stayed at the Mariner Court Hotel in Woolloomooloo( what a name eh??)and were happy with the location and facilities. I think they have a family room.To book in you have to get in before 7 or 8 pm (I think) and they give you the front door key.

Slightly further out but nothing too remote is the Best Western Uni Lodge next to my alma mater, the University of Sydney on Broadway next to Glebe. (Glebe is an interesting suburb, lots of eateries)- I think prices are around $100AUD.

Manly is lovely but unless you want to spend your whole vacation on the beach you will be taking a ferry ride to the city every day - it is a lovely day trip I think.

Have a look at www.wotif.com -click Australia-click Sydney and/or Sydney CBD and have a look at a wide range of accommodation; you may want to google the ones that interest you.

Hope this helps

Do you know what activities you want to do??? There are lots of things around Sydney for both the adults and the young ones

If you want more info am happy to help

cheers

have a look at www.wotif.com is a last minute booking service ( about 2 weeks ahead or so)
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:33 AM

OOOOPS!! I have just realised I repeated the wotif site so many times one might think I was their agent or some such. ( I am not)
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:41 AM

Hello,

A lot of YHAs have family rooms. The details in the YHA handbook for Sydney City (aka Sydney Central) YHA don't mention family rooms as such but they do have 4 share rooms and it says "family group rates on request".

The Youth Hostel is close to Central Railway Station and Chinatown - easy walking distance to Darling Harbour; about 25 mins downhill to Circular Quay. It's a 5 star hostel with large modern kitchens for guests to use; TV rooms; games rooms,etc. YHAs are child friendly.

But it is very urban. Have you done a search for B&B in Sydney?

Manly is nice and the ferry ride has to be done at least once. But there are other suburbs with lots to recommend them - how about Balmain? West of the city centre - good ferry and bus access; lots of cafes, weekend markets, etc. etc, good community feel.

It's not known for accommodation - no large hotels, but there a few B&Bs and maybe some properties for rent.

When are you going to be in Sydney, and for how long?
Cheers.

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Check out this chain. We stayed in their apartments in Manly and in Tasmania. Found them to be modern, clean, and comfortable. I think they have several properties in Sydney. I booked far ahead for much lower rates than were offered closer to our trip dates. You can also book through wotif.com.

http://www.questapartments.com.au/
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:36 AM

To be consistent, we stayed at their Quest Savoy property in Hobart and the Quest Esplanade in Manly. Would return to either. We also stayed at the Quest in Townsville on the way to the GBR. Would definitely not return to that property. However, the brand new Ibis next door looked interesting.