reefmagic questions

Jan 26th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

reefmagic questions

ok I have no idea what the water temp is in late march I know they provide gear ...do they have wet suits????
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

I went to the site first and saw nothing about wetsuits.....anyone been on this particular tour?thanks
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:48 AM

hypatia -

Perhaps if you sent Reef Magic an e-mail they could answer all your questions.
Jan 27th, 2009, 01:33 AM

Water temps in March could still be up around 25C and abasolutely no need for a wet suit.

Likely that they will have lightweight stinger suits on board too, some boats provide them for free and on others there could be a small rental fee.

But stingers out on the reefs are not a common occurence and you can ask around before going to see if any recent reports of need.

The stinger suits will however also be great protection against sunburn which can occur real quick in water in March, so not a bad idea to use one or wear a tee shirt - keeping arms in the folded under torso snorkelling position will protect lower arms and if you've got whitish legs, some sort of leggings would be a good idea to not come out as a lobster.
Jan 27th, 2009, 02:58 AM

I was on Reef Magic two weeks ago, yes, they supply wet suits and quite a few of the divers were using them. Snorkellers weren't, most were wearing light lycra stinger suits which are available for rent at about $6 I think. You won't need a wetsuit for snorkelling in March, water is still warm.
Jan 27th, 2009, 03:22 AM

Also included in price of trip are life vests and noodles, if you feel you need them. And, of course masks, fins and snorkel, which you will need.
Jan 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

I need sun protection but I have a sleevelees suit I will write them
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Hi Hypatia,

All you need is a 30+ sunscreen for protection from the sun. Auscreen is a brand available in our Woolworths supermarkets and I find it is fantastic and the best thing about it is the price!

Just remember to keep re applying throughout the day.
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Im afraid of irukandji ,the 5 venemous snakes and the funnel web........yes we have mocassins and rattlers here
Jan 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM

Whilst there has been very infrequent reports of stingers in reef areas, it is not confirmed on whether they are Irukandji or another breed altogether.
Something to not be concerned on.

$6 for a lyrca/stinger suit is good value and better for the reef than people using sun protection creams for there is some thought that hundreds if not over a thousand people weekly in some locations will create a heavy accumulated concentration of oils pollution, just another pollutant for fish and corals to contend with.
Jan 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM

<<or wear a tee shirt - keeping arms in the folded under torso snorkelling position will protect lower arms and if you've got whitish legs, some sort of leggings would be a good idea to not come out as a lobster.>>

I'm sorry but I don't think that this notion of 'sun protection' is anything that the Cancer Council would support.