Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

What would you do if you had two weeks in Australia (first time)?

Jan 25th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

I am thinking of taking a trip to Australia in the early September. I would probably have around 14 full days in there. What would be your suggestions on how to plan those days? We are interested in snorkeling (GBR), outback, Australian wildlife, nature, food ...

At this point I am thinking something like Chicago ->Sydney -> Adelaide (Kangaroo island) -> Ayers Rock ->Cairns ->Chicago. I am not sure if this is doable in such a short time.

I would like to hear your thoughts...

Thank you in advance for your help!
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM

That's a reasonable routing and something like
. 4 days in Sydney
. 3 days for Adelaide/Kangaroo Island
. 3 days for Ayers Rock [Uluru]
. 4 days for Cairns.
Likely that you would need to fly back to Brisbane or Sydney for connecting with a departure flight.

www.qantas.com have what is called an Australia Pass that could be of value to you but you do need to be firm on the itinerary and book internal flight legs at same time as the international flight and yes, you can fly into Sydney and out of Brisbane.
Jan 25th, 2009, 07:05 PM

As Bushranger intimated there are few international flights out of Cairns these days.

Your itinerary looks like it would work. There are lots of good trip reports on this board which are a good source of information.
Jan 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Bushranger, Saltuarius,

Thank you for your responses!

I was playing with the air pass on-line, and it looks like I can not fly from Adelaide to Ayers Rock, only to Alice Springs; and if I try to fly from Cairns to Ayers Rock, then I still need to go to Alice Springs in order to fly to Adelaide. Will 3 days be enough to cover Uluru and drive to Alice Springs? This looks like a long drive.
What to you think in general about this area? I keep hearing contradictory opinions. A lot of people suggest to skip it all together... I would like to book my tickets, because the prices are not too bad now, but I need to decide if I should use the pass...
Jan 26th, 2009, 08:34 PM

They say every cloud has a silver lining for though I'm not too surprised you cannot fly Adelaide direct into Ayers Rock for Adelaide is probably not considered one of the main to/from airports for AR, I'm pretty sure I've seen flights between Cairns and AR or vice versa - maybe an Aussie Pass restriction!

But nevertheless, the lining as though Uluru is the focal centre of the red centre I can also imagine some people thinking "bloody long way to see a big rock" and if that's all they go to see they probably miss out on seeing/getting a feel for the totallity of the red centre and yes you can do that probably better from Alice Springs.

Have a look at www.waywardbus.com.au and see if their camp out type tour suits you re flight times.
There are others, some cheaper and some more expensive but wayward have been around quite a while now and have earnt their stripes.

Those kind of trips are camp out style and do not let that put you off either for one of the greatest delights of a trip to the centre, [one that many people may miss] are the night sky, the stars being so brilliant, a free cosmos display!

They also take you on a loop route so you get to see some off road stuff, Kings Canyon etc. that you would normally not get to see.

Don't know if you're 63 or 46 but don;t let either age concern you for though site shots will show younger people, there'll be an age mix and in mixing myself from time to time with travelling backpackers of all ages, you'll usually find on the trips where people are a bit further away from easier coastal trips they are generally friendly people of all nationalities and a good chance to catch up with people from different countries - another bonus.
Jan 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Bushranger, thank you SO MUCH for your opinion! You have summarized it so beautifully!!!

I am sold, even though the Red center makes my trip much more expensive. If it was not for the Red center, I could probably live without the air pass, but flights in/out of Red Center are expensive.

So, I guess we will do Sydney -> Adelaide -> Alice Springs -> Ayers Rock -> Cairns -> Brisbane -> home (I can not fly out of Cairns on the pass).

Does this sound like a good plan?
Jan 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Not a problem Helen and looks a great route.
If you have a spare day/even half day in Adelaide, see if there are any Adelaide Hills/Barossa Valley mini tours as a lovely area up there.

There are a few wildlife parks around Adelaide Hills too which would be a quicker excursion but if looking at your budget, you could get some good value out of doing wildlife parks/Adelaide Hills/Barossa Valley as an alternative to Kangaroo Island and probably come out ahead.

You may have noticed wayward also do a Kangaroo Island tour that is probably cheaper than a few others.