Need Suggestions for 10-12 day Australia Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We are considering a 2 week visit to Australia next year. Any suggestions for itinerary? We are thinking perhaps 5 nights around Sydney, 5 nights along the Gold Coast and a flight over to see Ayers Rock for a day. Not sure when we would go - possibly November? Thanks!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 11:51 AM

I would highly recommend to spend at least 2 days in the Centre to see Ayers Rock, The Olgas and maybe Kings Canyon.
Don't forget the Blue Mountains while you are in Sydney, you can do a daytour if you like.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 01:14 PM

You flight "over to Ayres Rock for a day" is like saying " I will spend 5 days in NY then fly to Denver for the day"
I am not sure that you can fly to Ayers Rock from Brisbane so that would mean a trip back to Sydney - although I am pretty sure you can fly from Brisbane to Alice Springs and then get to Ayers Rock but the flight would take up 5 hours in all anyway by the time you include getting to the airport etc etc.
Would you not consider a trip to the Great Barrier Reef area, after all Ayers rock is just a rock and for me a rock is a rock is a rock. There is a rock in Western Australia that is far, far bigger but because its further away no one goes there. The GBR is a World Heritage area and rightly so.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:32 PM

My family and I are planning on spending 2 days in the Ayer's Rock area arriving around 1:00p.m. and leaving around the same time two days later. I would appreciate your help in planning how we should plan the time we have assuming we are staying in Ayer's Rock. Thankyou Jim
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:26 AM

Dear myaustralia and lizf,thanks for your recommendations.This forum is good and useful with people like you.?Would you please give me your idea for 20 days best itinerary for Australia too.I sent that to this forum but someone called Neil_Oz,sent a meanless and disrespectful message as an answer.I really do not understand why he or she does that?We should stop and condemn these kind of people like Neil_Oz and support people like you !!So people can see the good and bad!!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Sarvoloser, thank you for the kind words. Please open your own thread and I will be happy to assist you with your plans! Or email me if you like
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Personally I think that Ayers Rock is over-rated and expensive to get to and very expensive to stay at and as there are so many other areas of Australia which are fantastic destinations I would seriously consider leaving out Ayers Rock if you have only 10 - 12 days. I always think it is more for those who are spending say 3 months travelling Australia and doing a lot more in the Northern Territory as well.
Let us know what type of things you like and we can help you further. I live in the hills behind the Gold Coast so can help you with this area BUT if this is your first visit and for this short time may I suggest that you make it Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef area and then you will have seen something perhaps that is different from where you live and some really beautiful pics to take home with you.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:28 AM

LizF, Thanks for the help. We are planning a few days at Lizard Island for our reef experience and a day in the rainforest but nothing is booked yet? Any thoughts on things in this area would be great especially for teenagers. eg. outback,reef Thankyou Jim
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Hi Jim:
I would suggest that you do not book anything until you get to Cairns and see just what there is for all of you to do - there is so much with more being added all the time. Everywhere you go there are brochures. Depending on how much rain there has been the teenagers may like some white water rides on the Tully River OR they may like to do what my 16 yr old did a few weeks ago and go on a sail ship out to the reef and snorkle at a not so frequented spot. There could be a rodeo at Mareeba when you are there. A lot depends on when you are there and what may be available at the time but do not book from overseas!!! Locals can book your trips for far less - however that statement does not apply to one of the trips with " can't remember his name" but he is the most popular person taking people out to see wildlife etc however Pat, who owns Lilybank B&B will know who I am talking about and if she is lurking on the forum she will tell you.