Trip to australia

Aug 28th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Pops

Trip to australia

Hello all,

I would like to visit Australia next summer. I plan to visit Sydney for two days, then to fly to Ayers Rock and to visit the region for about four days. I think than the best thing to do is to rent a car. Then, I would like to fly or to drive to kakadu and to visit the park for four days. Then, I will fly from Darwin to Paris. What do you think ? Do I miss a must see (Cairns for example and the barriers...)

Thanking you in advance for your answer.

Olivier

Aug 28th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Debbie

Hi Oliver,
I think you'll find you have too much time planned for Uluru (Ayer's Rock) and certainly not enough time in Sydney. I'm not sure how long a drive it would take to drive from the Red Center to Darwin, but know it is FAAAR! Definately fly. (By the way, did you mean, Australia's summer or the Northern Hemisphere's? Uluru will be mighty hot if you go during the Australian summer.)

Personally, I don't think a trip to Australia is complete w/o a visit to Queensland. As it's been stated on this board before, there's a lot more there than just the reef. It's a wonderful spot on this earth. Go see it, but skip Cairns and head to Port Douglas.

Have fun!
Debbie

Aug 28th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Pops

Hi debbie,

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer. It's very nice.

I will visit Australia during Australia's winter. I will follow your advise.
I will stay more time in Sydney (4 days is enough ? - you know, I am living in Paris and I would prefer visiting something else than a big city !!!).
Then, I will fly from sydney to Uluru and stay 2 days (does it worth is ?).
Then, I will fly from Uluru to Darwin to visit Kakadu (is it a great experience to visit this park ?).

Finally, I will fly from Darwin tp Port Douglas. I bought the Lonely planet guide. Do you think it is a good guide ? What about the others ?

Last thing, what is the best companies to fly from france to Australia ? Is it possible to buy some flying card to travel inside australia.

Oupssss!!!! Too many questions.

Thanks again.
Olivier

Aug 28th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Alan

Hi, Olivier!
Debbie's advice was exactly right, and I think your second plan is shaping up much better. If you don't want to spend four days in Sydney, you could take one of those days and travel by train to either Brisbane or Melbourne, and from there fly to Ayer's Rock. You will find the days in Australia's centre quite warm, even in winter, but the nights will be cold.
Many airlines are offering good deals flying from Sydney to Europe at the moment, but the cheapest may well originate from London. Qantas is, of course, the one with the most flights --not necessarily the cheapest, but if your return journey is from Darwin, you may find it is the most convenient. There is an internal pass for multiple flights within Australia, called the Boomerang Pass, which many posters on this forum feel is great value. Hope this all works out for you!

Aug 28th, 2002, 02:26 PM
liz

Bon jour Olivier,
I am flying to Paris in early October and going with Qantas via Singapore each way with stopover - because that is the quickest route. However Royal Brunei Airlines have announced a new fare ( I think its to London though ) with $500 off for a second person. They are an excellant airline and they offer stopovers as well in a couple of places I think.
You *must* go to the Barrier Reef area and as others said stay in Port Douglas and not Cairns.
You will enjoy Kakadu because it is the last frontier I think and very different from anything else.
I also agree that 2 days in Sydney is not enough because the first day will be spent getting over jet lag. 4 days is too long for Uluru.
You might talk to Qantas about the Boomerang Pass OR about going from say Sydney - Cairns - Darwin - Uluru, back to Darwin and home. This could be cheaper than buying a Boomerang Pass and you may be able to incorporate your visits into the trip cost - at least all but the Uluru section, then you could check on the web-site for cheap internet deals - just a thought.

Aug 28th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Sue

Olivier,
If you really want to see something different from the big city have a look at this
http://www.gsr.com.au/ghan/
Kakadu is wonderful but a long trip. Litchfield Park is much closer to Darwin and glorious.

Aug 28th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Debbie

Hi again Olivier!
I spent July in Australia, having only planned to be there 3 wks. I fell in love with the people and the place and practically went kicking and screaming home. You will love it!

When I got home, I posted my trip report here on Fodor's. I don't mean to sound arrogant but you might find it helpful. I say that because it sounds as if you are planning a similiar holiday to mine. In addition, do a search for Mina's trip report. Her advice was dead on. (So is Alan and Liz's too--don't want to leave them outand Caro knows Pt. Douglas

I know you are concerned that Sydney is just one big city, but I found it to be very special--and I grew up in New York!Sydney is scenic and has plenty to offer. I doubt you would get bored if you stayed 4 days. I was there a total of 8 and stayed busy.

I never made it to Uluru and Alice Springs. I seriously considered it but opted to go to Darwin instead. I think it was a good choice for me although next time I go, I want to spend a couple of days in Kakadu. I agreed w/Liz when she said it seems like the last frontier.

I adored Port Douglas and it was while I was there that I decided I couldn't go home. I was smitten by the town and the area.

To plan my trip, I utilized lots of resources. I checked out several Australian guidebooks from the local library. I bought 2--Insight Guides(great photography) and Fodor's 2002. I've found Lonely Planet to be helpful but didn't use it this time. I also booked my land portion w/a travel agent and read tons of posts on this message board. I think advice I found here was the best!

As for the domestic flights...I didn't buy Qantas' Boomerang Pass. I got better deals through Qantas efares and Virgin Blue. Check everything out and see which is better for you. I also learned that Aussie travel agents can sometimes find International traveller's discounted deals that are not listed on the airline websites. Just something to think about...

Enjoy planning your trip. It's half the fun.
Debbie

Aug 29th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Pops

Hello all,

I am back. Thanks a lot for your prompt anwers and your advise. I am sorry for my english. I need to improve it. I read your trip's report. It's very interesting to get different point of view.

I read that local travel agent (from Australia) may get some low fares. Do you have some website address that I could check or even better, an email address.

Could you explain me what are the main differences between those 3 guides (Lonely Planet, Fodor's and the rough guide). If you need some informations regarding France and especially Paris, please feel free to contact me or post a message.

Thanks,
Olivier

Aug 29th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Debbie

Hi again!
Olivier, don't sweat which guidebook you use, just get one which appeals to you. Lonely Planet is known for being really good for the budget traveller; Rough Guide also is for budget traveller/backpackers and campers.

For airfare within Australia, check out www.quantas.com and click on 'red edeals'. Also try www.virginblue.com.au

I went into travel agencies once I was in Australia because I wanted to extend my time. I used Sta Travel and the person I dealt w/was good. They are all over and have a website www.statravel.com.au

Good luck!
Debbie

Sep 1st, 2002, 05:35 PM
Christina

We just got back from OZ.

2 nights in Ayers is plenty.

Also, Kangaroo Island near Adelaide was very nice. You get to see lots of native wildlife in their own habitat. I highly recommend it, as well as the GBR & Daintree.

Search this Thread