Search

Mana, Tokoriki, or Matangi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Jason

Mana, Tokoriki, or Matangi

Hi everyone,<BR><BR>I am planning my July honeymoon and am very interested in Fiji. However, I cant quite decide which island would be best for us. I was wondering if any of you out there would be able to help...I originally had my heart set on Tokoriki, however, found out that the week we would be there(July 7th-14) is one of their childrens weeks. My fiance and I are both teachers and see plenty of children of the year, and wouldnt want to be constantly around children for our honeymoon. My question on Tokoriki is - has anyone been there during one of their kids weeks and if so, did the childrens programs hide them away well so to speak...<BR><BR>My travel agent recommended Mana for us. I did some research and it seems very nice, however, a couple complained that they got eaten alive by mosquitos there in December. Now, were going in July, but none the less, has anyone ever been to Mana during June, July and if so, how was the bug situation.<BR><BR>And finally, theres Matangi. I did a search here on it, and everyone seems to like it, but its on the higher side in pricing. What would you all recommend out there-- we are both 28, and enjoy the ocean, water activities, music, dining, and beautiful scenery. Please advise-- thanks!<BR>Jason

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 08:18 PM
kathy

Matamanoa Island Resort caters for couples more so than families so you may like to check that out. If you stay on the mainland i recommend the Sheraton Fiji Resort.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 11:41 PM
Mary

Do not go to Mana if you want to get away from kids. It is a very large resort and if the week you are going is kids week anywhere it means it's school holidays in either Aust or NZ and Mana will be overrun with them. I agree with matamanoa / matangi or carefully check the resorts childrens policy for the time you are going to be there

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 02:56 AM
sonia

HI<BR><BR>I absolutley agree - forget Mana...it is huge, and will be FULL of families.<BR><BR>I have been to Tokoriki during Xmas and there were a few kids there - a couple of toddlers and 2 or 3 teenagers...<BR><BR>I really hate kids but though of course I would have rather had the place just for us, they didnt spoil our trip at all. I think almost any resort you chosse at that time will have kids, other than superdeluxe places. Certainly Matagi will have kids - they sell themselves as a familiy resort here in Australia.<BR><BR>I LOVED tokoriki and from what I have heard, it has improved since we were there in 2000. All bures now have A/C and outdoor showers. I havent been to Mana or Matagi but have recommended Tokoriki many times and wouldnt do so without sincerely feeling they deserved thre business. They have done a good job of creating a really good resort that is reasonably priced (next jump up is to TUrtle/Yasawa level) and is in a beautiful setting.<BR><BR>Bures were very private and there were plenty of free activities. There wasnt any kids-oriented activities as far as I remember so any kids would have to occupied by parents!<BR><BR>We also considered Matamanoa but heard that bures were not as nice, hotel rooms decidedly unFijian and not as much spcae and privacy etc...<BR><BR>Hope this helps<BR><BR>Sonia

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 03:00 AM
sonia

Hi again..just re-read your post and wantde to add...<BR><BR>If your Travel agent is recommending Mana for you as a honeymoon destination I would suggest they dont know too much about Fiji. Not being funy here - but it really isnt a honeymooners place - being more geared towards groups, Japanese wedding couples and people wantiong to tear around on jetskis...<BR><BR>Take a look at www.bulafiji.com for totally unbiased info...

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Louis

Go to Matangi and act fast to reserve. It is a top dive resort that specializes also in weddings and honeymoons. It is often fully booked for months. It is one of the best values in Fiji. We recommend a deluxe bure over those in the trees. Matangi is a private island that has been family owned for two generations. This gives it an out of the ordinary home like feel. My wife would go back at the drop of hat. Her favorite places are Matangi Island and the Bora Bora Hotel in the pacific. In the Caribbean it is Guana Island another private island. Matangi is worth a little extra money. In Fiji you get what you pay for.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Laura

<BR>Ditto on what Louis says. In fact, we followed his advice and went to Matangi Island for our wedding and honeymoon. An absolutely PERFECT choice if you love water sports, serenity, beauty, great food, attention to detail by the staff, small intimate setting, etc. <BR><BR>I'm not sure what your budget is but I will say that Matangi Island was worth every single penny we paid. <BR><BR>I don't know about the other two resorts you mentioned, but as a comparison, the only children on Matangi when we were there were the children of staff members who lived there and they were never disruptive. And, I am a "mosquito magnet" who had maybe 2 mosquito bites the entire 8 days we were on the island.<BR><BR>Hope this helps!<BR><BR>Laura

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Jason

Thanks everyone for your advice. We have a budget of about 5 thousand dollars for the 6 or 7 days we'd spend at the resort and then the 4 day blue lagoon cruise ... will matangi fit into this? I know Tokoriki will, but not sure of Matangi. I'll have to inquire. Thanks again, all.<BR><BR>Jason

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Laura

<BR>Hi again Jason. We paid $5,200 for our wedding/honeymoon on Matangi Island in early June. However, $1,500 was for the wedding itself -- if we hadn't gotten married there it would have been $4,700. That is flying out of LA. (We were going to use FF miles to get to LA but instead got a GREAT price on round trip air fare so instead purchase tickets to LA.)<BR><BR>We were there 9 days/8 nights. The first 5 days were in a treehouse bure and the last 3 were in a deluxe beach bure. It would, of coure, be cheaper if you stayed less days though I highly recommend staying AT LEAST 5.<BR><BR>Only thing that cost extra was diving and drinking. The drinks were NOT expensive though, actually much cheaper than here in the US.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR><BR>Laura

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Louis

If the $5,000 budget includes airfare, 4 day Blue Laggoon Cruise and 7 days at a resort, I don't think you can make it at Matangi. However, look over their site at www.matangiisland.com and better still call their hotel representative at 1-888-628-2644 and tell them what you are seeking. They will be in a position to answer your questions directly and also would be in a position to book the cruise also. They generally have the best fares to Matangi from LAX and it does include another flight. Most all of the people in the office are divers and have been in the area. We would pick the less expensive Club Cruise in the smaller boat. We have been in both boats and the smaller one is our style and less like a cruise ship -- more fun.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:44 AM
Debbie

Hi Jason. I've spent months in Fiji, mostly in the Mamanucas (where the islands you mentioned are) and at all different times of the year. Most of my time was staying on Mana Island.<BR><BR>I would actually suggest the Yasawas, particularly the Yasawa Island Resort. It is beautiful, and well known for honeymoons. Mana will have children, and is a bit run down (compared to Yasawa). The difference is in price. Yasawa is more expensive.<BR><BR>If you want any more advice, let me know. You will have mosquito issues anywhere, but a decent repellent will work. Mana doesn't have mosquito nets. Yasawa has everything you could want.<BR><BR>PS...I'm in your age group, so similar perspective