Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Need Help planning 2 weeks in Austrailia end of April , please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are flying into and leaving from Sydney. Welcome all suggestions as to how to plan the 2 weeks. How much time in each place. Hotel/B&B , tours, must see's , logistics all very welcome and appreciated. Thanks. Curly
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:48 PM

Give us a clue mate!

Do you want two weeks in Sydney and surrounds? Two weeks to see all of Australia? Or something in between?

What are your interests? Cities or country? Museums/Galleries or nature walks/adventure.

Have a think and get back to us.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. My husband is an avid bird watcher. I love cities and we both love being out doors, water, animals & hiking. That said, I know that we will not be back to Australia any time soon. So, we fly into Sydney and depart from Sydney. We'd like to spend the last 4 days in Sydney or Blue Mts. and base out of Sydney. That leaves about 7 or 6 days. I'm factoring in the transfer days. We definitely want Sydney, Blue Mts. and then the reef and rainforest. Toying with going to the Outback. Want to appreciate the beauty not sure if it is worth cramming in the Outback or yes, if so, how should we plan. Any recommendations about transfers ( airlines) and hotels/B&B's would be appreciated, too.

Again, thanks so much. Really appreciate your help.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 09:36 PM

If you want rainforest and reef, you will be heading to the Queensland coast, so forget the outback unless you want a jam packed time. Best airline - virgin australia. Option for reef: fly to Proserpine and take a 3day/2night sail in the whitsundays. another option is fly to Cairns. Spend time around Cairns, Port Douglas and rent a car from port douglas and drive up to the Daintree. There are hotels up daintree way to do an overnighter nestled in amongst the trees. Port Douglas has good hotels though.
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 04:01 PM

If you are still checking, something you might want to consider if you want to see both the blue mountains and some prime birding is contacting Carol Probets. She does guided birding, and took us to some really cool places in the Blue Mountains.

We also did an overnight with her out into the Capertee valley (amazing place). I am doing some trip planning myself and had just looked her up, it looks like she is still guiding. www.bmbirding.com.au.

She knows more than just birding, we saw lots of critters and plants. I also just really enjoyed her company.

If I were you, with only two weeks, I would spend time down around Sydney, fly to Cairns so you can do GBR (and by the way, more good birding and cool critters) and then fly back to Sydney.

Where are you coming from in the States?