Search

Travelling from Cairns to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling from Cairns to Sydney

Hi there!
I'm a 21 year old uni graduate, just looking for some advice on my upcoming trip to Australia. I'm starting out by staying with some friends in Melbourne, followed by a trip to Ayers rock.
From Ayers rock I'll have roughly 2 and a half weeks to spare before I have to be in Sydney to fly to New Zealand.

I really want to see the reef so will head to Cairns, but can't decide whether to fly there from Uluru (which obviously gets me there faster, leaving more time to explore the coast) or to get the 'Desert venturer' 3 day coach trip (which is longer but looks fun, stops off at interesting places and gives more scope for meeting people).

I was also wondering whether it'd be better, once i'm in Cairns, to spend most of my time around that area and then fly down to Sydney or whether I should travel down the coast stopping off at some places -or would I be too rushed if I did this? I'm a bit worried about spending too long cramped onto buses rather than seeing sites, but at the same time I'd love to see places like Byron Bay - I'm not quite sure what would be best.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.
Graham
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:26 AM

Hi graham,
I can see the benefits for meeting people etc on the coach trip, but it does really depend on how much of the Cairns area you want to see and also how much of Sydney you want to see.
You have just 2 and a half weeks don't waste it sat on a coach. Get the plane and enjoy areas you like.You will no doubt return and do other things, but your already cramming in Melbourne,Ayers Rock Cairns area and Sydney in the short time you have, if you need these 4 destinations then fly.
But most of all enjoy it you will have a ball ( and not a cricket ball)
;-)
Muck
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 03:13 PM

My advice: fly!! From Uluru to Cairns and from Cairns to Sydney. Why do you want to spend so much time on the road, if you can spend it seeing the local attractions. There is so much to do in Cairns and Sydney, you are wasting precious time driving. You will have plenty of chances to meet people once you are there!!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, much appreciated! I think I'm gonna do as you both say and fly, that way I can devote a decent amount of time to seeing Cairns and Sydney and the surrounding areas.
Thanks again
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Have a look at studentflights.com.au
It's operated by Flight Centre & apparently has some pretty good Student Only specials. Also Jetstar & Virgin (don't ignore Qantas though - they're often just as cheap).

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Just a thought. If you like parties, fun and adventure, Surfers Paradise south of Brisbane is a good place to be. Lots of young people around there!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM

And consider Gilligans to stay at in Cairns, its much more than just a backpackers. More like a 4 star hotel. Private rooms or dorm accommodation with pool, bars, nightclub, email facilities, laundry - all clean and modern. Centrally located in middle of Cairns city, next to famous Rusty's market for all your tropical fruit at best prices.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks loads guys! All the advice you've given has been really useful in planning my trip, I'm glad I found this forum