Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR 5 STAR RESOR ACCOMMODATION IN PORT DOUGLAS/DAINTREE AREA, DONT STAY HERE

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR 5 STAR RESOR ACCOMMODATION IN PORT DOUGLAS/DAINTREE AREA, DONT STAY HERE

Sep 17th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

But if you want to see and stay with one of the best collections of Australian wildlife, a huge collection of parrots, cockatoos, finches, quolls, sugar gliders , kangaroos, dingoes, cassowaries,crocodiles, emus etc, do consider Daintree Mangrove Wildlife Sanctuary. Endangered species here are being bred back to live and reproduce - the bird, particularly cockatoo collection would rival any of the best zoos in the country. Accommodation isn't flash, but its spacious and fresh at AU$110 a double a night - 23km north of Mossman just near mouth of Daintree River. Friendly, knowledgeable and down to earth Aussie hosts - www.daintreewild.com - website does not do this fantastic find justice. And this is coming from someone who's lived in area for 12 years.
Sep 17th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

PS, forgot to say that the room rate includes a very hearty breakfast.
Sep 17th, 2005, 04:03 AM

So I get all excited and look up the website that Pat has suggested and find some peculiar domain thingie. So if you want to find out what this is about folks then put in www.daintreewild.com.au ( .au makes all the difference )
After looking at the selection of birds I am very impressed. It is a fantastic selection and one that has to be the most comprehensive in Australia I would think. Also a wonderful selection of Australian wildlife as well.
I most certainly will be putting it on my agenda on my next visit which hopefully won't be that too long away.
Thanks Pat for letting us know about this new find of yours.
Sep 17th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Sorry Liz, I got so excited I forgot the "au" bit, glad you found it anyway.
Sep 17th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Wow! Pat,
What an interesting and comprehensive website and links! I have just spent nearly an hour checking every link out! One little, very minor criticism - no platypussies!!
I too will be adding this place to our long list of 'things-still-to-do-in-Cairns' for our next visit to Cairns, which looks like being next year now. Boohoo, a year to wait.
Sep 17th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Dotty: Make sure that you stay at Pat's Lilybank -or is it Lillybank - B&B while you are in Cairns so you can add some *real* flavour of Australia and great local knowledge to your stay. You sound like the type of person that Pat loves to have stay at her place and any Fodorian is always welcomed with open arms by Pat, Mike and the gang of animals and its lovely to really feel you are at "home" the only difference is that Pat and Mike dote on your every need!
Sep 17th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Liz, you're too kind!

Dotty, forgot to mention that Daintree Mangrove is open for day visitors - AU$22 pp. For overnighters the entrance fee is included in bed & breakfast rate of AU$110 a double. So the B&B part is really only AU$66 a double.

No, you won't see platypus there, its near the mouth of the Daintree River, crocodile country. But its a great place for a Daintree base, by staying nights the nocturnal wildlife will come alive and its handy for early morning birdwatching trips on river.

Now, for platypus on site and in natural habitat consider The Pond Cottage at Ravenshoe on the western edge of Atherton Tableland - www.bnbnq.com.au/pondcottage. A great half-way stop if you're driving to Undara Lava Tubes, something else not to be missed.
Sep 17th, 2005, 08:57 PM

Hi Liz and Pat,
Will certainly try to book in with Pat next September (that is 2006!) We drove ourselves round the Tablelands last year (after organised tours the year before), and stopped at Yungaburra, ostensibly to see the platypus there at dusk, but we were so busy enjoying a meal at Nick's restaurant that time flashed by and we missed the little critters!! Next year I am going to have to make sure that is my first port of call! I have seen playpuses at Healesville but have the great urge to see them in the wild.
I do think one night will have to be spent at the Daintree Wildlife Sanctuary - I am a keen amateur bird watcher, and just like the sound of being near the waking birds. Lately I have been enjoying the early-dawn chorus around our home, which seems to start about 4:45!
I agree about the Undara Lava Tubes - we went there last year on a day tour. Really awesome.
Thanks for the extra info, ladies. as always.
Sep 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Dotty, if you are near the Gold Coast you can neally always see Platypus in the stream behind the Canungra Winery which is on the way to O'Reily's. Furthermore if you take your wine, blanket and sit by the bank in the later afternoons your chances are about 80%.
Sep 18th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Its the Canungra Valley Winery actually!