Reef Shoes - What!!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reef Shoes - What!!!

Hi
This is going to seem a very silly question to some of you BUT!!

What are reef shoes?

I've come across the term a few times and haven't heard the term before. It would appear they are a good idea for Australia which we're visiting in November.

Info appreciated so I feel more "intelligent" obviously some type of footwear - or are thay a brand...
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:12 AM

Reef shoes are like very lightly-built tennis shoes, but made of very thin, (and fast-drying fabric) with a solid sole. Because they dry quickly, they don't rot (and therefor stink) so much in the tropical heat. You can buy them in places like Wal-Mart for around $5 USD/per pair. They protect your feet while walking the beach or wading/swimming in areas with coral sand.

Ken
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 08:40 PM

Reef shoes are the best! I used them to walk over a lot of lava outcroppings in Maui and they held up great. Everything Lordbalfor said is right, and no they're not a brand, lots of companies make them. They're totally lightweight and it's great to walk around in the water without worrying about where you're stepping.

love
roxy
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:47 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for asking this question and thanks to those who responded. I thought I was the only person who had no idea what reef shoes were and I figured I had to buy them at Walmart IN Australia. HA! Thanks for the information, I need to get them as well.....
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Ilsa,

Thanks for making me smile. No, you do not have to go Australia. We bought ours here in Seattle, and Turn_it_on is right in that they are NOT a particular brand so do NOT get them confused with REEF brand shoes. The Reef shoes we are referring to are also called "aqua shoes".

Here's a link to a site with photos of various types of reef shoes so you know what to look for:

http://shoesmax.en.alibaba.com/group...qua_Shoes.html

Don't spend much on them. You can by them cheap.

Ken
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Question for Ken:

The shoes we have (purchased el cheapo at CTC here in Canada) have a lot more open mesh on top than the ones pictured. Will they provide sufficient protection? (on the other hand, I would guess that they are better than nothing. I didn't wear them in Barbados and I literally sliced off a little toenail on a loose piece of dead coral rolling in the surf). But I'm wondering if the coral would have sliced through the wider mesh just as easily.

On a different note, I'd like to say thanks to you for all the info you've provided on this board and others as well as your reports on epinions which I have read avidly while trying to decide between a spring holiday in 2004 in the Cooks and Rangiroa or one in the Caribbean. Wonderful pix and reviews! Looks as though it's likely to be a combination of 1 week land stay and 1 week crewed charter in the BVI or SVG at this point, but until the money gets paid out, that could change (and does on an almost daily basis LOL). Again, thanks for the great insights!

Linda
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 09:12 PM

Saharabee - Yes, there are several different types. In fact, the ones we use are a bit more open weave than most of those shown (they look most like the ones at the bottom of the web page I mention) and look rather like netting. The most important thing is to provide bottom & side protection for your toes.

Regarding the reviews, photos etc that I've posted - you are quite welcome! Thank YOU very much for the nice acknowledgement. I'm happy to be of value.

Ken

By the way, we may ourselves be headed for the Caribbean in March/April of 2004 (US Virgin Islands).
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the extra info Ken. Much appreciated.

(And I reserve the right to quiz you about the Cooks when/if I flip flop on the 2004 decision again!)

Hope you enjoy your USVI trip. We may be in the BVI around the same time as number 1 daughter is getting married in Vancouver in early April, so our trip will either be in March or late April.

Linda
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 07:10 PM

Ken - thanks for the extra information - especially that the main purpose of the shoes is to protect the feet, rather important bit of information..... how did I ever plan a trip without this board before? =)