good walking shoes?

Search

good walking shoes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good walking shoes?

I'll be in Europe for about 2.5 weeks this May, and as we all know, that means I need darn good walking shoes. Does anyone have a favorite brand for traveling shoes? I'm looking for something that will be comfortable but still look fairly nice. I'm leaning towards a nice leather shoe versus tennis shoes, but I'm having trouble finding a good brand. Thanks!
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
J62

I like my Merrill walking shoes.

they have a good selection at www.onlineshoes.com. Since everyone's foot is different, and sizes from one brand to another can vary by 1/2 size you really need to try them on at a local store.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Hello copper, do you have a Nordstrom's in your area? If so I would go there. They always have a large and wonderful selection of shoes and their salespeople are always so helpful and knowledgeable.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I sacrifice fashion for comfort, and take my Brooks or Nike Air running shoes for walking when I travel.

Merrill, Ecco, Munro all have some decent walking shoes but I have never found a pair that beats my sneakers for how good I feel after walking an 8 hour day.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM

My New Balance shoes are my favourites, followed by Merrill and Rockports.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM

Hi J62 you are right they have a good selection charge not much for freight and if you have to return there is no "penalty "like in other places.I have bought Ecco walking shoes which are my favorite but they have a huge selection. good service better than others.
Yes,good service, not a very common commodity...
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:11 PM

If you wanted to wear sandals, you can't beat Chacos. They are the most comfortable shoes on the planet, I wear them everywhere.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:50 PM

I have severe foot problems and love Clarks. You have to find just the right ones, and they aren't actually walking shoes, but some work really well. Some are styled a little like athletic shoes, but are leather in pretty colors, sage green, rust red, etc.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:51 PM

I love my Ecco shoes. But I am going to post my sore feet tip again! Soak your fett in iced water, it hurts more than I can describe, but within 1/2 an hour your feet will be feeling SO much better. This involves a little planning, you will need to put water in the fridge before you go out and make sure you have a bucket or suitable container. It's way more effective than hot water which is much more tempting.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:50 AM

Try Geox loafers. I wore a pair in China last month and walked miles. They are also waterproof and have non-slip soles.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM

Keens - great soles and can be found in leather lace-up styles as well as hikers and sandels. Good for wide feet too.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:57 AM

It really depends on your foot. I've tried a number of different brands mentioned, but have found that Ecco hits all the right places on my hard-to-fit foot--something about the arch location. For you it might be a different brand.

Try a few of the brands mentioned at a store. Be sure to wear the socks you plan to use when wearing the shoes. Purchase any new shoes a few weeks before you plan to use them and wear them frequently to break them in well before you will be depending on them for daily comfort.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:05 AM

cathies, I agree with you about the ice water. I used a variation of this last time I stayed in an apt. with a little fridge/freezer...

I froze a bottle of water and placed it on the floor and rolled it with my foot. The cold helps the inflammation and the rolling gently stretches the foot to help relieve my plantar faciitis (sp?) pain.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:15 AM

I walk a lot anyway. I have found brands or last/style that usually works. I just am sure I have a pair of shoes that I have been walking in for several months. I have never had a problem if I do so.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM

Another vote for Eccos. I have a pair that I wear exclusively for traveling, so they are still in good shape, but UGLY. I don't care how they look, though. They are the most comfortable ones I've found, and I'm not giving them up!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM

I too vote for the ECCOs but they do have a variety of shapes and sizes depending on style.
The other shoe that goes forever is Dansko clogs. I live in them. There are many variations from sandals to slip on style. Serria Trading Post has great sales on them. But be sure and try some on and see if they are a good match for your feet.
Happy walking!
Janelle
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:35 AM

Munro's are my favorites. They are so versatile, and very comfy for me. I bought a pair of Naot's last summer the day before we left for Paris and those were heaven...brand new and oh so comfy! They were the Ashley style.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a pair of Ecco sandals, the 3 strap velcro type. They fit great on my foot but after any amount of walking, my lower legs HURT. I've never had this happen before, but finally figured out it was that one pair of sandals. I've still got 'em around but I don't take them traveling.

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM

I have to go with my very un-stylish SAS walking shoes for walking for any length of time. I have a nice pair of Rockport sandals that are extremely comfortable also.

I do have a nice-looking pair of Eccos, but they seem a bit stiff, and they don't have very good support.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM

I have to agree about the SAS shoes. I have 3 pairs,slipons,tie shoes and sandals.None of them are beautiful but they sure are comfortable.I have walked for miles in them all over Europe and my feet never hurt.I wish they were better looking but they sure feel good.If I try to wear anything else my heels hurt so much I can barely walk in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -