Port Doulas Resorts

Jun 14th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Port Doulas Resorts

Are there any 5* resorts in Port Douglas or nearby that are on the beach? We were thinking of staying at Silky Oaks but it's not on the water and that is an important consideration. We then thought to stay on an island but are concerned that we are limiting our sightseeing opportunities (i.e. being trapped on an island). We don't have time to do both because we are only going to be in GBR area for 4 nights. Any suggestions? Also, in November, is that a bad time to swim on the beach because of the jellyfish?
Jun 14th, 2003, 09:28 PM

We are planning to stay at the Sheraton Mirage for five nights this summer. It is on the beach, but is not right in town. And I've never been there, so can't give you a real report on it! But you may want to look into it.
Jun 15th, 2003, 05:57 PM

The Sheraton Mirage is a true 5-star resort. It's a fabulous place to stay and is right on the beach. It's a leisurely 20-30 minute walk into Port Douglas but they do have courtesy vehicles as well. You can also walk along the beach right into town in about the same time.

Most of the islands have daily boat trips to the reef and to PD and other islands so you're not all that isolated when you're on them. But I'd go for the Mirage if it's your first visit to the GBR. Just gives you a few more options.

Jellyfish season officially starts in October (I think) so if summer doesn't start too soon you might still be OK to swim at the beach in November.
Jun 16th, 2003, 06:19 AM

I stayed at Sheraton Mirage and SIlky Oaks two years ago---wanted to get the beach as well as rain forest experience. You might want to consider doing it that way. Sheraton Mirage is a lovely beach resort, great breakfast buffet, lots of pool areas as well as really nice beach. Silky is a terrific, unique experience in that it is right by the rainforest---something that is very special. Either way, you won't lose!
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:48 AM

We enjoyed the Sheraton Mirage. It's big, fancy, and supposedly gets backed in winter months. Luckilly, we were there at the end of summer, and it was nice and empty. The pools to ourselves. I don't know how I'd feel if there was a mob everywhere. A good walk along the beach into town. Next time, I think we'd stay in town, where you're a little less isolated. Smaller places are normally our thing, anyway. It's all personal preference.
Jul 15th, 2003, 05:15 PM

The Peninsula is nice but not 5 star- only 4.5!
Sheraton is nice but it is a very large property and quite expensive.
Silky Oaks is amazing and at that time of the year, the beach swimming may be iffy- at Silky Oaks there is a beautiful rainforest billabong and river where you can safely swim in that time of the year.
the jellyfish are usually here by November so wait and see what happens.
Cheers
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:08 AM

I disagree that the peninsula hotel is not five star. It may not be rated as five star but with only 34 suites and the nice couple who own it catering to you every wish we felt like we died and went to heaven. You can walk into town and it is right at the end of the four mile beach so you feel as if you have your own private beach. Our balcony overlooked the water and at night you could just hear the waves breaking. The pool is beautiful and at no time were there more than four or five people at the pool at one time. Definitey stay there. Check out there web site. Any other questions email me at [email protected]. Thanks Bruce
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:38 PM

I woud agree that the sheraton is too far from town unless you have a car or don't care about going into town--also think the sheraton is pretty huge--the peninsula is small and close to town--there are other nice places in town that are cheaper--silky oaks is somewhat far from anything--i woud go there for lunch maybe