Best sleeping pill (system) to fight jet lag caused sleeping problems

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Australia is 10 time zones from my house. I suspect that when I arrive in Australia I will have a terrible time with jet lag and will not be able to sleep.

I was wondering-- if I got a perscription for a strong sleeping pill and then took it around 9 pm, just before going to bed in Australia, would it force my body to sleep through the night? I suspect if I got a good 8 hours of sleep during the first night of the trip- my body would adjust quickly to the new time zone. Especially if I took the strong sleeping pill for the first 4 nights at 9:00 pm every evening.

What is the best strong sleeping pill?

What do you think?
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Janese

You need a sleeping pill after a long flight?????????
Your doctor would be the one to give you the best information on that. Anyone other than a doctor can only give you their own experience which may not be appropriate for you. Perhaps a sleeping pill is not the answer.

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 10:52 PM

Your fears about jet lag may be overblown. I have flown long distances, from California to Australia, Southeast Asia, Africa and the Mideast. I, too, suffer from jet lag, but more so when I return home than when I arrive at my destination. I'm usually so hyped up and anxious to see everything that I'm able to push through the jet lag after the first day or so.

But that's me, and everyone is different. If you type "jet lag" in the text search above, you will find that a lot of travelers like Ambien, but your physician is obviously the best source for advice such as this.

If you do decide to get a prescription, I suggest you try it at home first to see how it affects you. You may find that it makes you feel worse, not better.

In any event, I hope you have a wonderful time in Australia.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have flown many times from Australia to the USA and Europe and jetlag can be a problem but it usually only lasts for a day or two and the worst part is when you are wide awake at 3am when your body thinks it should be up and about.
We have used JetEase, also called No JetLag. (They have a website.) It is a homeopathic drug and you have to take it every 2-4 hours during the flight.
My advice would be to also drink as much water (must be water, not other fluids) as you can which really seems to help as I think deydration makes jetlag worse.
Kay
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 11:43 AM
sandi

Even with a sleeping pill, there is no guarantee that you won't have some jet lag.

When we arrived in SYD (no pill taken, though did sleep a few hours on flite, we left SFO at 10pm, so it was time to sleep anyways) we were wide awake, showered and changed clothing and then out the entire day till about 6pm. Return for a nap wanting to go for dinner about 9pm. At 9pm, realized I didn't want to go anywhere, undressed and went to sleep. Sure enough we were both up at 3am and the same the next 2 days - after that we were fine.

When we went to So.Africa, took pill and did sleep alot on flight. Arrived finally in CPT 9pm, was asleep by 11pm and fine the next day. It wasn't until 5 days later when we were in Botswana, that one afternoon I took to my bed and slept right through the night - up till then I thought I was doing fine. So you never know.

Last year in SEAsia, again took pills and slept on plane. Was fine in Thailand and Cambodia, but never during two weeks did I have a decent nights sleep - was up every two hours even with taking a pill before going off to sleep each night. But by the time I arrived home Stateside, I was the living dead and didn't come around to myself for almost five days.

From my experiences, it's a crap shoot. Just don't think too much about it. If it's going to hit you, it's going to. Just roll with it. If you're tired, sleep. If not, don't.

But as far as a particular pill, your physician is going to have to recommend and write the script - and do try whatever it is before you go on your trip.

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 04:42 AM

What we did just recently on our trip from Los Angeles, CA in USA to Sydney, Australia was to stay awake as LONG as we could and take an Ambien -prescription sleeping pill, we took it at about 7.5 hours into the 14 hour flight and sleep soundly until we landed. When we arrived in Sydney we were refreshed and were able to make it the entire day and hung out in the Rocks until 10:30 before needing to retire for the night.

On the way home its more difficult cause its "day" most of the flight time but we still took it and it helped but it was still a bit hard once we were home (Philadelphia, PA - USA )to get back to "normal".

Dawn
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:00 AM

Going to Aus. is better than returning. Enjoy the trip.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:21 AM

I just returned recently from Australia. Flying from Texas through LA, then a layover in New Zealand before arriving Sydney. I took some Sleepy Time (over the counter), on the Trans-Pac flight, got some sleep on the flight, and was fine when I arrived. I drank alot of water on the flight. Had no side effects, and no jet lag at all. Set your watch for Oz time, don't even worry about jet lag. Enjoy your trip.

Donna
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 01:25 PM

I have a prescription for Temazepam (15mg)which is generic for Restoril. This is probably milder than what you have in mind but it has worked well for me on many a long flight.

I prefer evening flights where I take my pill just before dinner is served. By the time I'm done eating, it kicks in and I sleep well and wake up refreshed. I would not consider taking it for a flight less than 8 hours though or you might be groggy.

This is something you need to discuss with your own doctor though and like others have suggested...I would try any sleeping aid out BEFORE you leave home. Don't forget to drink lots of water too!

Now, if I could just figure out a way not to crave cigarettes so badly on these long flights. Another good reason for wanting to sleep as much as possible on any long flights.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 10:17 PM

I have flown a couple of long hauls recently and I swear by the product 'no-jet-lag '.
These pills are a homeopathic remedy for jet lag and are not sleeping pills but they seem to work for me.

Do a search on google or try
http://www.jetlag.co.nz
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 03:45 PM

I swear by melatonin--take it the day you leave at time for bed at your destination--and take it for a couple days before you go to bed when you arrive--really helps me with my body clock