melbourne in 2004/05

Jul 15th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

melbourne in 2004/05

hey! iam going to be travelling to melbourne australia in december 2004/05. I will also be backpacking with my cousin who lives in australia while i am visiting for an extended period of time. is there any neat places that he might not know of, that we should visit? iam also wondering how hard it is to get a temporary job in the city of melbourne if i am a canadian citizen? I just want to make some extra money while I am there, in order to support my travelling funds within australia during my stay. any info. would be greatly appreciated! thanks a bunch!
Jul 15th, 2003, 03:31 PM

When in Melbourne take a day trip to Philip Island to see the penguins. Also, take a day trip to the Great Ocean Road, or travel to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road. Try Soverign and Ballarat for another day trip. For shopping try Bourke St.
Have fun.
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:42 PM

Hello - there is much to do in Melbourne. Here's just a few things for a start.

Melbourne has wonderful, wonderful restaurants, infact whole streets dedicated to different cuisines.

Try Lygon Street (and most of Carlton) for Italian.
Lonsdale St, City and Swan St, Richmond for Greek.
Brunswick St, Fitzroy (for everything from Asian to Middle Eastern and just about anything else)
Acland St, St Kilda for the best cakes around.
My personal favourite Victoria St, Richmond for Vietnamese.

Take a day trip to the Dandenong Ranges, have lunch or afternoon tea at one of the restaurants or tea houses.

Pack a picnic for an afternoon at Montsalvat (an artists colony just 25kms from town).

Go to Sovereign Hill Ballarat for a look at our Goldmining past.

A trip for a day or a few days down the Great Ocean Road for some of the most spectacular scenery you will see anywhere.

The opposite end of Victoria is Wilson's Prom, the southern most tip of Australia's mainland, wonderful rugged coastline and great camping and bushwalking.

The Grampians, also spectacular scenery and great camping and bushwalking.

Take a day and go to Daylesford/Hepburn Springs, really pretty countryside and great craft shops etc.

Wineries - Rutherglen region in Northern Victoria, Yarra Valley or Mornington Peninsula all fabulous.

If you are in Victoria in Winter go to the snowfields, combine a trip to Mt. Buffalo with a trip to the Rutherglen district wineries.

The penguins, of course, at Phillip Island.

Shopping - the Victoria Market for clothing on Sundays or for produce on other days. Toorak Rd/Chapel St for designer wear, or any number of samples and seconds shops around town (Bridge Rd, Richmond for example).

Beautiful Gardens everywhere.

There are tons of things to do in Melbourne and Victoria, especially if you are prepared to go out of town.
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:03 PM

G'day Meg,
apart from what has already been mentioned, there is also the Healesville Sanctuary, well worth a visit.

Here is a travelogue from a Backpacker who came on a tour with me.
See what he did while he was in Melbourne for a few days:
http://freedsville.org.uk/aus02/index.htm

Consider that its school holidays while you are here. For that reason I would visit the attractions, especially along the coast before Christmas.
Enjoy,
Mike
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:27 PM

Regarding the 'getting work' bit, I'm not sure if you'd need a work visa, seeing that Canada is part of the Commonwealth, but you could check on the immigration website. If you want to check out temp jobs, there are heaps on www.seek.com.au and www.mycareer.com.au as well as lots of other sites. You may pick up something once you arrive if you check out the backpacker noticeboards. If you don't have the right visa, and immigration in Australia suspect you are going to work (e.g. you have packed your resume and references) they may refuse you entry, so be careful.
Kay